CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   ZO6 owners - do you wish you had bought the GS? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4237679-zo6-owners-do-you-wish-you-had-bought-the-gs.html)

ZEEEE06 01-31-2019 06:59 PM

ZO6 owners - do you wish you had bought the GS?

I say hell no. The ZO6 is absolutely amazing! Saying the ZO6 has too much power is ridiculous. You don't have to use all the power all the time but when you want it, it's there.

Thunder22 01-31-2019 07:09 PM

did someone leave the door to the z06 section open again.... someone has escaped.

Steve Garrett 01-31-2019 07:54 PM

^^^ LoL....

mdolandese 01-31-2019 09:13 PM

Never in a million years!!! I love my Z06, the only regret I have is not being able to afford the ZR1. People say what a waste ''you can't put all that power down'' it's not all about the power it's about the WHOLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE!!! I rather have it and not use it, then want it and not have it:thumbs: Love the low end Torque, the car is a blast to drive especially in a manual rowing through the gears. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

z51vett 01-31-2019 09:17 PM

No I love my 16 Z06 that's not overheating on the streets.
z51vett
Doug

ls7plus 01-31-2019 10:14 PM

Interesting posts, gentlemen, since I am about 99% sure I will be purchasing a C7 Z06 this fall to join my '93 ZR1 and '72 hot rod C3!

Thanks to all,

Larry

Zjoe6 01-31-2019 11:33 PM

But, will you get to 90 posts like the other thread. Start the dick swinging.

-HAIRBALL- 01-31-2019 11:52 PM

I purchased the Z06 in 2015 more for the look than the extra HP. While I think the body and lines look better than the Stingray, If the GS was available in 2015 I might just have a GS in the garage instead of a Z06. While the HP is great, I spend a great deal more time inching along in SoCal traffic than I do on back country open roads that have less traffic that allows you to get it up to speed and knock the cobwebs off.

KAIJU 02-01-2019 12:01 AM

I was in a similar dilemma earlier today as I was considering the move to the GS or Z06. My reasons for picking GS over Z06:
- I don't race
- I don't track
- Here in Canada, road laws are strict. There's nowhere for me to use the extra 200hp to 100 kmph
- Both had the wide body I liked
- Definitely prefer the GS wheels to the Z06 wheels
- Prefer the GS side vent to the Z06 side vent
- Lower Insurance
- Cheaper by about 18k here in Canada

I'm leaning towards the GS for all these reasons. Quite simply, sure it's nice to have the power available but if I'm going to be using it ever so rarely, it's not worth it.

ls7plus 02-01-2019 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL- (Post 1598798100)
I purchased the Z06 in 2015 more for the look than the extra HP. While I think the body and lines look better than the Stingray, If the GS was available in 2015 I might just have a GS in the garage instead of a Z06. While the HP is great, I spend a great deal more time inching along in SoCal traffic than I do on back country open roads that have less traffic that allows you to get it up to speed and knock the cobwebs off.

I know what you mean re the traffic. I take my 540 CID 600+ hp '72 out for some exercise when it's nice outside in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it used to be relatively easy to "let it eat" for a few brief seconds in the course of a ten to 15 mile trip. Now, it seems that flex time has expanded rush hour backwards to a point earlier in the afternoon, and it's become more difficult. Still a bit of an adrenaline rush when you get the opportunity, though.

The Z06 will be kept at our winter home in Florida in an area where there is a fair amount of traffic, but I think those short spurts will still make the added ponies worthwhile in terms of enjoyment.

Regards,

Larry

ROBWILKER 02-01-2019 12:51 AM

Nope. The C7 GS is a great car with lots of value, plenty of looks, power track performance and street manners. However, I love evrything about my C7 Z06/ Z07 and my C7 2019 ZR1/ ZTK even better.

TKgs2010 02-01-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mdolandese (Post 1598797400)
Never in a million years!!! I love my Z06, the only regret I have is not being able to afford the ZR1. People say what a waste ''you can't put all that power down'' it's not all about the power it's about the WHOLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE!!! I rather have it and not use it, then want it and not have it:thumbs: Love the low end Torque, the car is a blast to drive especially in a manual rowing through the gears. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree: I love my ZO6, I had a C6 Grand Sport before the new ZO6 which I also loved, both manual transmissions, both factory ordered. I recently had a chance to buy a ZR1 exactly as I would've spec'd it and likely would've bought it (it was an ordered car but the deal went south for some reason) but it was an automatic, and that was the deal breaker for me. That being said, my new ZO6 has less than 2,000 miles on it now, so I'm just waiting for winter to go away so I can do the first track day with it. The Grand Sport is a fantastic car, but no regrets in buying the ZO6 instead of the GS.:thumbs:

ZEEEE06 02-01-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL- (Post 1598798100)

using that argument, you should have just bought a Prius.

Sub Driver 02-01-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by KAIJU (Post 1598798121)
I was in a similar dilemma earlier today as I was considering the move to the GS or Z06. My reasons for picking GS over Z06:
- I don't race
- I don't track
- Here in Canada, road laws are strict. There's nowhere for me to use the extra 200hp to 100 kmph
- Both had the wide body I liked
- Definitely prefer the GS wheels to the Z06 wheels
- Prefer the GS side vent to the Z06 side vent
- Lower Insurance
- Cheaper by about 18k here in Canada

I'm leaning towards the GS for all these reasons. Quite simply, sure it's nice to have the power available but if I'm going to be using it ever so rarely, it's not worth it.

You cannot use all of the GS's available power on the street either so why would you buy one? This doesn't make much sense.

19672014 02-01-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1598798227)
I know what you mean re the traffic. I take my 540 CID 600+ hp '72 out for some exercise when it's nice outside in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it used to be relatively easy to "let it eat" for a few brief seconds in the course of a ten to 15 mile trip. Now, it seems that flex time has expanded rush hour backwards to a point earlier in the afternoon, and it's become more difficult. Still a bit of an adrenaline rush when you get the opportunity, though.

The Z06 will be kept at our winter home in Florida in an area where there is a fair amount of traffic, but I think those short spurts will still make the added ponies worthwhile in terms of enjoyment.

Regards,

Larry

Hey Larry, I have a '68 with a 540 in it, dyno'd at 742 crank HP. I'm also in the northern Detroit suburbs. Maybe we can get together and compare big BBC C3's. My (warm weather) daily driver is a C7 Z51 so you got me there. I do drive it down to Florida sometimes though as my parents and siblings have relocated there.

falcon5619 02-01-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sub Driver (Post 1598800853)
You cannot use all of the GS's available power on the street either so why would you buy one? This doesn't make much sense.

True, but you have no other powertrain option if you want a C7. Also, you can wind out the shorter gears a bit more in the Z51/GS on the street. You are correct though, the performance limits of these cars are so high you will not be able to fully exploit them on public roads. That said, the argument for the GS over the Z06 is to save the $14k msrp difference in price.

John01SS 02-01-2019 01:36 PM

Tip of the hat to ZEEEE06 for starting this thread. I cracked up out loud at work when I saw the thread title.

John
’18 Carbon 65 Grand Sport

Glenmcp 02-01-2019 01:45 PM

As goofy as the question seems, there must be someone who bought a Z06 and wishes the choice had been a GS instead. For me, I will stick with my Z06.

dvilin 02-01-2019 02:01 PM

Never considered a GS which is a fine choice but I wanted the power and torgue of the Z06. You really have to own one or at least drive one to fully appreciate it's power. It is a beauty and a beast.

Zjoe6 02-01-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenmcp (Post 1598801064)
As goofy as the question seems, there must be someone who bought a Z06 and wishes the choice had been a GS instead. For me, I will stick with my Z06.

There are. I remember a few years back there was an older guy here that got scared the first time he floored it and wanted to sell it. It happens.