CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Keeping SC car cool (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4237757-keeping-sc-car-cool.html)

grocerygetter 01-31-2019 11:43 PM

Keeping SC car cool

from what I have gathered it looks like a Dewitt’s full size radiator and stock fan is the way to go . I use an ECS kit. I would just like to get 15-20deg off the car in the summer heat when running Ac. Correct???

Mike's LS3 02-01-2019 04:42 AM

DeWitts full size radiator
160* T-stat with fan duty cycle programed in tune
Clean AC condenser and radiator from dirt and leaves
Red Line water wetter 70/30 distilled water/fresh coolant
Leave front spoiler on to direct air up into the radiator
Good Exhaust: Z06 full exhaust or LT headers to keep combustion chamber temps down.
If further cooling is desired, a good dual fan set up.

grocerygetter 02-01-2019 06:26 AM

Same page...I figured the brushless fan would be next step if stock fan didn’t do it. It’s great at holding nice temps with Ac off. It’s just Ac on in high 90 degrees plus AR humidity sucks. The car manages fine...I just don’t like seeing temps climb when sitting idle in traffic.

73DBG 02-01-2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 1598798083)
from what I have gathered it looks like a Dewitt’s full size radiator and stock fan is the way to go . I use an ECS kit. I would just like to get 15-20deg off the car in the summer heat when running Ac. Correct???

Prospeed dual spal should knock out your issues as long as the cooling you have issues with is static, in traffic on hot days. If you have cooling issues at 80mph on the interstate than no fan or radiator is gonna help....there’s something else wrong.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8d1ef2832.jpeg

grocerygetter 02-01-2019 11:03 AM

so you think keep the stock radiator and do their brushless fans?
I have no issues rolling...even at 30mph it's fine.

73DBG 02-01-2019 11:13 AM

I’m not sure the Prospeed set up will fit the stock radiator, I know they fit Dewitt’s full size and short cut. I have the short cut because it was already on the car, the full size is the best option. Be careful with your fan choice, I had the same issues and not all dual spals are created equally. Some will actually be worse than the factory fan. Most the guys on here in the F/I pretty much told me there is only two or three options for fans. The Prospeed set up is the most accessible and even at $900-$1000 it’s the cheapest. I believe the other two options I was given are more custom one off jobs and even more money. Prospeed set up took me from 225-230
in traffic with AC on summer time southern Mississippi now I don’t think I’ve seen anything over 205.

grocerygetter 02-01-2019 11:23 AM

yeah...Unreal and I had this exact convo. I just didn't know if anything new changed. I have a cutdown Dewitts and standard dual spals in my attic that I'm going to sell instead of installing and end up going with a full size. I know some local guys here that have had better luck with a full size if you want to run AC in traffic, stopped. Like I do...because fat and hot. LOL

73DBG 02-01-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 1598800086)
yeah...Unreal and I had this exact convo. I just didn't know if anything new changed. I have a cutdown Dewitts and standard dual spals in my attic that I'm going to sell instead of installing and end up going with a full size. I know some local guys here that have had better luck with a full size if you want to run AC in traffic, stopped. Like I do...because fat and hot. LOL

well if you already have the short cut just get the Prospeed set up and use the short cut, or if you just want to drop some extra cash I guess order the full size, the short cut worked for me just fine, not sure if the $600-$800 you’ll spend on a full size is gonna net a lower temp that’s worth it though. Let’s say with the short cut you see temp drops like I did from 230 down to 205, and the full size gives you 230 down to 200 probably not worth it in my opinion. But if you do sell the short cut let me know I may be interested in having a spare since my expensive ass fan only fits a short cut. I also did a little mod up front where the intercooler sits cut out some of the plastic on each side of the intercooler and exsposed another 2 1/2 inches of intercooler on each side that now get air flow, not sure if it really did anything or not though.

grocerygetter 02-01-2019 11:39 AM

I'll let you know via PM for sure. This thing has little to no use and I got it locally for a good price so I could pass that on.

donnyt 02-01-2019 07:58 PM

I have a Grand Sport with a ECS 1500 setup on it and was consistently seeing 235+ in traffic here in AZ heat. I had a full size dewitts and prospeed fan setup put in and it dropped temps to 215-217 in the summer now. Here in the winter once it warms up (which it takes a while now) it never gets above 207. I'd do them both at the same time if you're paying a shop so you don't have to pay the labor twice.

1dmurray 02-02-2019 09:03 AM

I installed a stock 2005 fan shroud on my 2012 with ECS kit, and this made a big difference. More airflow with full shroud while car is stopped. No more A/C cutoff in stop and go summer traffic. Had to trim the '05 shroud slightly to fit. Also had to relocate oil cooler.

realcanuk 02-02-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1dmurray (Post 1598804992)
I installed a stock 2005 fan shroud on my 2012 with ECS kit, and this made a big difference. More airflow with full shroud while car is stopped. No more A/C cutoff in stop and go summer traffic. Had to trim the '05 shroud slightly to fit. Also had to relocate oil cooler.

Bingo... give the man a medal. I've been preaching for years that using the stock shroud will greatly help cooling, but it seems nobody listens.

grocerygetter 02-02-2019 12:22 PM

interested...I don't have one anymore...need to find one. lol

EnginerdVT 02-02-2019 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We are in the middle of my upgrades and cooling is a concern for me as well. After upgrading to the F1X, the outlet size coupled with the thickness of the prospeed fans, intercooler and larger radiator are all not working well (too much stuff there). Only options are thinner intercooler, swap back to stock fan, or cut the front bumper support to get me an extra inch or so.

73DBG 02-02-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT (Post 1598806443)
We are in the middle of my upgrades and cooling is a concern for me as well. After upgrading to the F1X, the outlet size coupled with the thickness of the prospeed fans, intercooler and larger radiator are all not working well (too much stuff there). Only options are thinner intercooler, swap back to stock fan, or cut the front bumper support to get me an extra inch or so.

So definitely cutting the front bumper support is what your saying...😂 I mean that’s what I heard lol.

EnginerdVT 02-02-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 73DBG (Post 1598806659)

So definitely cutting the front bumper support is what your saying...😂 I mean that’s what I heard lol.

I really want to but also know that there is structural integrity involved up there. I'm thinking about cutting it, folding the aluminum and then rewelding it. There's also the very real possibility that I'll need to go to A2W anyway and I'd hate to hack it all up if that could prevent it. I've been looking into folks who have done so much as to cut off the front bumper support and welded on a tubular support and cut the foam to fit accordingly. I'm still looking for good options... but to stay on topic, the prospeed fans are a definite need to help pull good air in and I've also swapped the fog lights out for ducts (meant for brake cooling) that will route directly to the radiator to help some also.

grocerygetter 02-02-2019 04:29 PM

cut the bumper support and box it back in.

EnginerdVT 02-02-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
cut the bumper support and box it back in.

That was the plan but since it's aluminum I am going to need to find someone to come to the shop and weld it for me. Not ability to do anything but steel and I'd want someone with a better bead than me :)

grocerygetter 02-02-2019 04:33 PM

I thought those were steel. ha! In my camaro it was steel. I just threw that joker in the trash on it. LOL

EnginerdVT 02-02-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
I thought those were steel. ha! In my camaro it was steel. I just threw that joker in the trash on it. LOL

Nope. The first thing I did was throw a magnet on it to check. No luck. Probably the direction I'll go though. That, scoot things forward and that will allow me to use the Prospeed fans.