CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Antenna mast removal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4237846-antenna-mast-removal.html)

Oahu750S 02-01-2019 10:53 AM

Antenna mast removal

All,

I have removed the antenna from the car, taken the antenna motor cover off and removed the antenna flywheel.
I cannot get the mast itself to come out, I am sure there is a trick to it, anybody know it?
BTW I have searched previous antenna questions and did not see this question anywhere.

Chuck
1990 convertible

65Z01 02-02-2019 04:28 AM

Your FSM may have details on the procedure.

-=Jeff=- 02-03-2019 08:48 PM

jjust the mast? did you remove the capture nut on the top of the mast tube?

Oahu750S 02-06-2019 07:06 AM

On top under the rubber grommet? The grommet is so old it does not want to come off. For now I have ordered a small whip antenna
so I can get the car back on the road and will take the antenna completely out of the car to fix.

GoldRose85 02-06-2019 08:51 AM

Chuck..
Watch this Video go to the 7:00 mark

I may have one or two rebuilt ones somewhere. I got broken ones at Carlisle for about $20 ea
and bought the rebuild kits and had them just in case

Oahu750S 02-06-2019 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GoldRose85 (Post 1598827551)
Chuck..
Watch this Video go to the 7:00 mark

I may have one or two rebuilt ones somewhere. I got broken ones at Carlisle for about $20 ea
and bought the rebuild kits and had them just in case

Thanks! I am currently out of town for work, will be back home this weekend and may reach out to you
if you don't mind if I have a question. I appreciate the assistance!!

Chuck

ChumpVette 02-06-2019 03:39 PM

Replacement mast comes with the tool to remove the nut. You can use a pair of pliers, but it’s a challenge to get it grabbed.

Oahu750S 02-13-2019 09:36 AM

I finally had time to finish the antenna, not quite as easy as the instructions I used implied. First task should have been to remove
the bolt on the top of the antenna base, this allows the antenna to be pulled out. Even though some instructions said the antenna
could be replaced without taking the entire antenna out of the car, this turned out be untrue. Once the old antenna was removed
I had to take the side of the motor housing off, three screws and a small nut, to remove the remaining pieces of the old antenna that
were still stuck in the housing. Once that was done I fed the antenna cable into the housing far enough so that it was making contact
with the big white wheel and barely long enough to feed into the storage circle device. I also installed the nut on top of the housing
that keeps the antenna from being pushed out when the antenna goes up. After that I put everything back together, reconnected
the battery, and turned the radio off (or change inputs so it's not on the tuner). I then quickly had to guide the cable and antenna into the
housing until the motor stopped. It took a couple of cycles raising and lowering the antenna to get the antenna to go all the
way down. The only issue I have now is it seems the antenna goes farther into the house than I remember, but it does work and
the next time I take it apart it will be much quicker.

Thanks for the instructions and guidance provided.

Chuck