CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Draining Batt and service ride control? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4238500-draining-batt-and-service-ride-control.html)

J.D's 93 02-03-2019 03:29 PM

Draining Batt and service ride control?

Just recently bought a 93 vette auto with 37000 miles on it. Everything is mechanically sound and the ride control worked with no lights on the dash. Put about 300 miles on it before I had to park it for bad weather. Was getting it out to run a while and the battery was completely drained. After I charged it and pulled it out to run for a bit, still no light, turned it off to quick detail before putting her away and when I restarted her the service ride control light was on. Could the dead Batt have something to do with the light and what could be draining my batt? Has nothing aftermarket, bone stock. Suggestions?

andybbbb 02-03-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1598812322)
The Service Ride Control light will come on if the key is cycled three times without the car moving. Perfectly normal. The light will go out the next time you drive it.

Exactly,it will go away once you move it.

Yukon Corleone 02-03-2019 07:32 PM

Did you have the battery on a Deltran Battery Tender or CTEK before you stopped driving for any period of time? I have owned mine for 29 years and use both. If not that should help in the future if the battery is good.

J.D's 93 02-03-2019 09:23 PM

Ok, I had pulled it outside about 15 or 20 feet and then back in. Hopefully the light will disappear. Thanks! As for the batt. The old owner had recently put a new one in. I have the Batt on a tender now to see how it works out. Guy was trying to tell me it had something to do with the security system? Could be pulling my leg, have no clue. I had a 92' 10 years ago and don't remember having a problem back then.

bac22 02-04-2019 06:36 PM

The SRC has nothing to do with security. When parking a car for more then 30 days best to pull the negative lead or...like you're doing...using a battery tender.

Now if you're battery is draining within a week then that would be a concern.

J.D's 93 02-05-2019 09:20 PM

Thank you!

Paul Workman 02-10-2019 05:03 AM

Just FYI, normal 'keep alive' current draw is in the 25mA range, give or take 5mA (anything under 50mA is OK. More draw than that is an indication of trouble.

Have the battery load tested if the problem persists. And, NEVER use the alternator to charge the dead battery - they were NOT designed for sustaining the current load a severely discharged battery will draw! You need a charger that will provide 20 to 40 amperes. Once charged, either disconnect a terminal or (better yet) use a maintainer (CTEK or the like) to avoid sulfate build up while in long term storage.