CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Anyone Rebuild DRM/Bilstein Shocks? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4238625-anyone-rebuild-drm-bilstein-shocks.html)

Z.06 02-03-2019 09:48 PM

Anyone Rebuild DRM/Bilstein Shocks?

Well, my DRM/Bilsteins are the best modification I ever made to my 2008 Z06. My car is a museum delivery and the first and best modification I made was to install DRM/Bilstein shocks. The OEM shocks were horrible around bumpy corners, and it is hard for me to imagine that GM ever took the car in that configuration to the Nordschleife!

So here I am, 10 years later and for the last year, I have been running my car on a road course for fun. While the shocks are still fine for general street use, I have noticed that the body-motion control is not so great over bumpy sections of the track. Recently, I had my front suspension apart to facilitate a camshaft replacement, and found that the front bump stops fell out of the shock covers. I did replace these, but when I called Bilstein for help with the parts, they refused to talk to me. For sure, they were not wiling to rebuild my shocks. They said that DRM modified their shocks after Bilstein manufactured them, and they would not have any part in rebuilding them, in the same way as they offer for normal Bilstein product.

Now when I ordered my DRM Bilsteins ten years ago, I was definitely told that Bilstein completely builds these shocks to DRM damping characteristics, and then they are drop-shipped to the customer. So this is a completely different story than Bilstein is claiming now.

So, my question to CF is: Is there anyone out there who is rebuilding and standing behind the DRM/Bilstein shocks for our Corvettes? As much as I am pissed at Bilstein over this, should I just order a set of new B8 shocks (or other series) and install them and call it good?

Before any of you tell me to call DRM, let me tell you that I have called them and left messages several times, and I never get a call back. I wonder if they are still in business.

meanjoe 02-03-2019 10:43 PM

:lurk:

STANG KILLA SS 02-04-2019 12:24 PM

having recently bought a set of used DRM bilsteins id be curious in this as well.

moose.b3 02-04-2019 01:09 PM

Also in for the answer. But I think DRM would rebuild them. For one thing I thought I read a short time ago that DRM got in a new shipment of our shocks. So they are still in business. Plus I've read many posts where people have said that they had called DRM several times and left messages but got no answer or return calls. That is their business as usual. I don't know how much it cost to have them rebuilt and shipped, but maybe rather than rebuilding the shocks just buy a new set for around $475.

moose.b3 02-04-2019 01:19 PM

In this thread starting at post #43 people are ordering and receiving new DRM shocks from last month.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...instead-3.html

gnx7 02-04-2019 01:21 PM

Contact Louis at G-Speed in TX... I'm sure he can figure out who can rebuild them.... if not him.

chandretti15 02-04-2019 03:16 PM

I just bought a set from DRM. He does have them in stock now. You've gotten 10 years out of those shocks which is really good. Nothing lasts forever. Just buy a new set an be done with it.

Dirty Howie 02-04-2019 04:23 PM

Randy has been a great Forum vendor for a very long time. Must be very busy if you can't get a hold of him. My understanding is the Bilstein modified the shocks not DRM. I think the advise to get new ones now is what I would also recommend.

:cheers:
DH

CDNZ 02-04-2019 05:37 PM

From my conversation with Randy, the early version of these shocks were rebuildable. It was a set or sets of these early shocks that DRM took apart, reworked (valving, etc) and spec’d for Bilstein to build for them. As I understand it, current generation “DRM Bilstiens” are not rebuildable and are built by Bilstein to DRM’s specification.

Z.06 02-04-2019 10:02 PM

DRM Bilsteins

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1598817850)
Randy has been a great Forum vendor for a very long time. Must be very busy if you can't get a hold of him. My understanding is the Bilstein modified the shocks not DRM. I think the advise to get new ones now is what I would also recommend.

DH

Howie

My understanding of the shocks on my car exactly matches what Howie said. Bilstein modified their design for the shocks, not DRM. They modified them to DRM specifications and drop shipped them to the customers. My first expectation was that Randy at DRM would have answered the phone from my numerous calls and messages to DRM last fall. This dis not happen. My second expectation was that Randy would answer the messages that I left on his recorder. Neither occurred. At the same time, the messaging on this forum was that the modified shocks were backordered and unanswered for months and months on end on this forum. At this time, my Z06 was apart as a result of my camshaft eating a roller lifter, and I was interested in taking care of any shock absorber or other issues while I had my Z06 apart. And I got no help from DRM and no help from Bilstein. Bilstein cut me off and said that they had no responsibility for DRM shock absorbers, which (they said) had been modified by DRM subsequent to manufacture by Bilstein. At this time, it would have been convenient for me to replace the shocks, as the fronts were off the car in any case to allow me to move the front steering rack for access to the camshaft replacement. But I received no information (helpful or otherwise) from either DRM or Bilstein.

Obviously, I feel that a 10 year life for my shock absorbers is reasonable, and would be happy to either replace or rebuild them. My understanding is that Bilstein would perform this, since they completely manufactured the DRM Bilstein shocks which are on my car.

Dirty Howie 02-04-2019 11:49 PM

Here is a FS link that you might want to check out :thumbs:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-shocks.html

DH

MTPZ06 02-05-2019 04:45 PM

I want to say probably a decade ago Bilstein charged ~$70/ea to rebuild non-adjustable shocks...so it likely hasn't gotten any cheaper over the years. Factor in the to/from shipping, and I don't think you're going to be that much money ahead by rebuilding...not to mention your car will be down for at least a few weeks if that matters. If you had a nice set of double adjustables w/external reservoirs, the service probably makes sense. 10 years later on non-adjustables, and DRM apparently has them in stock for the first time in quite a while...I say go new while you still can.

Z.06 02-09-2019 09:45 PM

Thanks Dirty Howie, I am checking the FS shocks out. Someone may have beat me to it though. Buying this set will likely be a better move than any other I could do now, and at least I do not have to leave my Z06 apart on the garage floor while I am awaiting shipment to and from the rebuilder plus whatever turnaround time they need. I would feel better about all of this if only DRM would answer my phone calls or at least return the messages I have left. The lack of response which I have experienced does not leave a good impression.

Fulton 1 02-11-2019 06:21 PM

FWIW, I just ordered a set of the DRM Bilsteins from the website Friday and got shipping notification today (I'm going on 6 years of HPDE use with mine so decided to jump on the opportunity since they're available). I'm not sure if something has changed in the last few years, but in the past Randy has always been good to me - answering questions, providing recommendations, etc. Personally I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.