CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Engine Mods (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods-7/)
-   -   K & n cai pros & cons (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods/4238667-k-and-n-cai-pros-and-cons.html)

captain vette 02-04-2019 07:29 AM

K & n cai pros & cons

Hello everyone, my new to me 2011 GS came with a K&N air filter kind of CAI is there any advantage to this, i have read that it can damage the engine. Also what kind of maintenance does that thing need, the original factory air filter housing was in the trunk so it can be retrofit, i dont know what to do. Your advice will be appreciate Thank you.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dbbd572004.jpg

GradyBaby16 02-14-2019 01:23 PM

Benefits I know of are, better gas mileage, slight performance gain, and will make the car slightly louder.

The whole damage the engine thing I believe depends on user. Sure if you have a CAI and you drive into a pool of water covering the intake, yeah you can hydrolock the engine, but unlikely unless you enjoy driving in floods. Some say the oil and increase of air flow from the filter can cause MAF sensor issues, another thing I wouldn't worry about especially if your car isn't throwing CEL codes for it. Ive been running performance filters for years with no ill effects, just dont drive full throttle through puddles which your filter is higher placed so I doubt will be an issue and when you service the filter let the oil actually dry for a day before reinstalling, if your concerned and see oil on the MAF, just get a MAF cleaner and clean the MAF when you service the filter.

As far as servicing you can buy a K&N cleaning kit and when its dirty you just remove the filter, clean it with the solution and water, then re-oil it. They have a million mile warranty so if the previous owner can give you a receipt you can always trade it out for a new one later on down the line if your afraid of to many cleanings letting in excess debirs

captain vette 02-15-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GradyBaby16 (Post 1598878125)
Benefits I know of are, better gas mileage, slight performance gain, and will make the car slightly louder.

The whole damage the engine thing I believe depends on user. Sure if you have a CAI and you drive into a pool of water covering the intake, yeah you can hydrolock the engine, but unlikely unless you enjoy driving in floods. Some say the oil and increase of air flow from the filter can cause MAF sensor issues, another thing I wouldn't worry about especially if your car isn't throwing CEL codes for it. Ive been running performance filters for years with no ill effects, just dont drive full throttle through puddles which your filter is higher placed so I doubt will be an issue and when you service the filter let the oil actually dry for a day before reinstalling, if your concerned and see oil on the MAF, just get a MAF cleaner and clean the MAF when you service the filter.

As far as servicing you can buy a K&N cleaning kit and when its dirty you just remove the filter, clean it with the solution and water, then re-oil it. They have a million mile warranty so if the previous owner can give you a receipt you can always trade it out for a new one later on down the line if your afraid of to many cleanings letting in excess debirs

thank you GradyBaby16

cv67 02-23-2019 09:53 AM

no downside just dont go crazy with oil thats all. Unless youre submerging your car in a river dont give hydrolock a second thought

Just follow instructions, ignore what you read on the internet. For some reason too may think they know more than the mfr you will NOT get a worn out engine runing one..or a paper filter

Kacyc3 04-16-2019 12:08 PM

The damage the engine part is someones theory the highflow filters dont filter the smaller particles and allow particles smaller than say 60 micron for example into your engine where as a good paper filter will filter down to 10 micron for example. Actual particulate size will vary by manufacturer.