CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do your own maintenance? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4238774-do-your-own-maintenance.html)

LarryFL 02-04-2019 01:32 PM

Do your own maintenance?

Was wondering if anyone has experience when GM asks for proof you did your own maintenance to satisfy warranty requirements (5/60 power-train or EPP). How about just a receipt showing the correct oil purchased on certain dates? Did they ever refuse this 'evidence', and on what grounds? - Thanks

sTz 02-04-2019 02:27 PM

I generally perform my own maintenance, and save the receipts, but I’ve never experienced a situation where I needed to show them for warranty matters. Oil changes are probably the most popular, but rarely do modern engines fail during the warranty period. If there is a catastrophic failure, it’s typically unrelated... but certainly good to maintain records just in case.

fnbrowning 02-04-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1598817160)
I generally perform my own maintenance, and save the receipts, but I’ve never experienced a situation where I needed to show them for warranty matters. Oil changes are probably the most popular, but rarely do modern engines fail during the warranty period. If there is a catastrophic failure, it’s typically unrelated... but certainly good to maintain records just in case.

^ This for me also.

RichieRichZ06 02-04-2019 03:25 PM

GM is OK with customers doing their own maintenance and keeping receipts while under factory bumper to bumper or power train warranty. GMEPP and nearly every other EPP will not allow owners to do their own maintenance and most have the requirement for a shop to perform maintenance in the contract. I've had several "close calls" with various EPP companies that either denied or came very close to denying a large claim due to lack of maintenance receipts. Usually they want a shop (doesn't have to be a dealer) to perform the maintenance and record the date, mileage, VIN and part numbers for filters/fluids used.

IMO it's not worth taking the risk of a claim being denied to change your own oil if you have an extended warranty.

LarryFL 02-04-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1598817508)
GM is OK with customers doing their own maintenance and keeping receipts while under factory bumper to bumper or power train warranty. GMEPP and nearly every other EPP will not allow owners to do their own maintenance . . .Usually they want a shop (doesn't have to be a dealer) to perform the maintenance and record the date, mileage, VIN and part numbers for filters/fluids used.

IMO it's not worth taking the risk of a claim being denied to change your own oil if you have an extended warranty.

I understand what you are saying, that it may not be worth doing your own maintenance (engine, transmission, and diff lubricants) if there is a chance they may refuse a GMEPP claim. But why would they change their policy for GMEPP vs power-train warranty? And legally speaking,...the only thing I found in the GMEPP fine print under exclusions was the following:

D. For any Breakdown caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for
Your Vehicle, or improper servicing or repairs subsequent to purchase. For any Breakdown caused by sludge build-up resulting from Your failure
to perform recommended maintenance services, or failure to maintain proper levels of lubricants and/or coolants,
or Breakdowns caused by fuels
containing more than 10% Ethanol ...

geraldschumann 02-04-2019 04:32 PM

I would think that receipts are good however if there is a major engine failure a simple oil sample sent to Blackstone for analysis will end the discussion. They are VERY good at determining a ton of good information forensically.

RichieRichZ06 02-04-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 1598817603)
I understand what you are saying, that it may not be worth doing your own maintenance (engine, transmission, and diff lubricants) if there is a chance they may refuse a GMEPP claim. But why would they change their policy for GMEPP vs power-train warranty? And legally speaking,...the only thing I found in the GMEPP fine print under exclusions was the following:

D. For any Breakdown caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for
Your Vehicle, or improper servicing or repairs subsequent to purchase. For any Breakdown caused by sludge build-up resulting from Your failure
to perform recommended maintenance services, or failure to maintain proper levels of lubricants and/or coolants,
or Breakdowns caused by fuels
containing more than 10% Ethanol ...

There are a few different references to maintenance in the GMEPP contract and we've dealt with enough extended warranty companies to know they expect the maintenance to be done at a shop. There really isn't any other way to "prove" the specific parts and fluids purchased were for a specific car on a certain date and at a specific mileage. Legally you might be able to sue them over coverage, but that is significantly more of a PITA than just allowing a shop to do a few oil changes while under the extended warranty coverage.

Here are a couple copy and pastes from the GMEPP contract:

THINGS YOU MUST DO THROUGHOUT THE TERM OF YOUR CONTRACT
Properly Maintain Your Vehicle and KEEP THE RECEIPTS – Keep copies of all receipts (oil changes, lubrication, etc.), as proof of maintenance may be
required when You file a claim. SEE SECTION: "PROVISIONS OF THIS VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT" FOR SPECIFIC MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS.
OBTAIN APPROVAL PRIOR TO HAVING WORK PERFORMED THAT MAY BE COVERED BY THIS CONTRACT.

You must have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by the Vehicle's manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service including verifiable
receipts proving purchases of all required parts and materials necessary to perform the required maintenance; confirming the date and mileage for
the services performed. Maintenance and/or service work receipts may be requested by the Administrator

Zjoe6 02-04-2019 06:13 PM

I'm starting to think they should void the warranty if you go to a dealer.

George_L 02-04-2019 06:25 PM

There is a response in another thread that I don't have the time to find, from Dennis Fichtner, that performing your own maintenance meets the requirements of GMEPP and GMPP. He is the guru for these plans. Contact him directly if you have questions.

v.vet's Z06 02-04-2019 06:32 PM

Well knowing that, if GMEPP will be an issue, instead of changing my own oil and filter after the freebies have run out, I will go to Plan B. I have bought Mobil 1 and the proper AC Delco filter and had my personal Corvette mechanic at my local Corvette dealer change my oil. Saved some money in the process.

RichieRichZ06 02-04-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by George_L (Post 1598818544)
There is a response in another thread that I don't have the time to find, from Dennis Fichtner, that performing your own maintenance meets the requirements of GMEPP and GMPP. He is the guru for these plans. Contact him directly if you have questions.

I'd always said the same thing until we had a couple claims nearly denied for not following their maintenance rules. We did have an engine claim denied on a Car max extended warranty due to the customer not having actual receipts for from a shop for multiple years of oil changes. He had every receipt from the parts store showing he purchased the oil and filter, but nothing to prove the mileage intervals or that it was actually for that vehicle.

Mad*Max 02-04-2019 06:47 PM

If ever the engine blows or has any major issues it will be sent to GM for inspection - I was told that they will be able to look at the engine and tell if the required maintenance has been completed or not.

Joy c7 02-04-2019 08:31 PM

We do all our own maintenance. Dealer has never touched our Z06. not even for the free oil changes.

Avanti 02-04-2019 10:56 PM

I've always done my own, saved all my receipts in chronological order, along with a dated log-book with mileages. Never had an issue. :thumbs:

4thC4at60 02-05-2019 12:50 AM

Six Corvettes - approaching 800,000 miles over 29 years this month - always dealer serviced = zero complaints: Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Washington State....

Vetteman Jack 02-05-2019 12:54 AM

I do some of my own maintenance and keep all receipts plus indicate date/mileage on the receipt. Never had a problem with that being acceptable should a warranty claim occur.

Frodo 02-05-2019 08:22 AM

I do my own maintenance and in addition to receipts from the parts store I always take pictures of the odometer, the new oil and filter sitting on the engine with the date written on the containers with a Sharpie, and a picture of the date and time displayed on my TV. I guess one could also include pictures of the old oil flowing out and the old filter sitting beside the old oil. If they want documentation I can give them plenty. A simple receipt doesn't mean you actually put the oil in the car, just that you bought some. You might haver taken it back for a refund or put it in another car. This won't necessarily get you by a policy rule that requires a shop receipt but it should improve your chances as an owner doing his own work.

Zjoe6 02-05-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1598820436)
Six Corvette - approaching 800,000 miles over 29 years this month - always dealer serviced = zero complaints: Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Washington State....

I think I’ve seen you post this a few times. Either you’re really good at picking dealers or very lucky. This is not the norm.

LarryFL 02-05-2019 10:24 AM

Great responses so far. My reason for the thread is to see if anyone ever had actual push back when making a claim against power-train or GMEPP warranties.

As far as protecting from warranty disputes, I like some of the ideas above. I don't think its a bad idea to just take pictures of your receipts. As long as the quantity, viscosity, date and your name are on a series of receipts, you are pretty safe. They would have to argue that you took all the time to buy the right oil at the right intervals and take the pictures, and after all that, didn't bother to actually put it in your car. Not a strong argument.

RKCRLR 02-05-2019 11:56 AM

I do my own maintenance and have GMEPP. Hopefully I won't have a problem.
I keep paper copies of my receipts (although it seems some places use "disappearing ink") in a folder.
I printed out the maintenance schedule and maintenance record page from a PDF copy of the owners manual to use as a log. I record the date and mileage of the services performed in the appropriate places.
I also log the service in the maintenance section of the my.chevrolet.com website.
Yes, one could argue that I could fake all of this (so could a repair facility) and return the filters or use the fluids on other vehicles. But you get to a point of a preponderance of evidence that the maintenance was performed.