CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   lil thumper build plan (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4239029-lil-thumper-build-plan.html)

Rkreigh 02-05-2019 06:59 AM

lil thumper build plan

I have an older ttix c5 with the t3/t4 tubos in need of a refresh. Previously the car put down 800 at the tire but I'm getting either a lifter or wrist pin noise so it's time to fix and upgrade

here's the parts list

afr 225 heads
z06 intake (I also have a sniper style, but I don't think I'll use it)
iron block 4.8, stock crank, gen 4 rods, wiseco 9.5 cr boost pistons .020 overbore

TTix 58 t3/t4 turbos, have .83 exh turbine, 3" champion down pipes, adapting z06 c6 3 exh (cut package tray)
127 fic injectors, 450 intank, big external pump activated by haltech (magnafuel? others?)

engine management

older Haltech platinum (non dbw) with dual wb and 8 channel egt controller amp box to drive alchy injection system

direct injection alchy under haltech control for "pump gas" days
flex fuel sensor

RPM 4l65e with precision lockup multi disk 3200

cam??? thinking of a BTR for "lil thumper"

valve train, like to "cut down" some z06 ti intake valves and run ly6 factory inconel exh valves any other good valve choices?

as this is short stroker, I'm looking to do "boost by speed" using haltech as the sole traction control

need help with wiring so I'm going with Brett for "remote support" and maybe drag the whole shebang down for the Haltech as I'm tired of looking at it

looking to stay around 800 at the tire, with maybe just a bit more on e85 as long as I have enough fuel for that.

option #2 (more money)

I have an old 4.8 alum gen 4 truck block
4 lunati forged crank, lunati rods

I'm wanting to build this motor as it would be strong and light but I'm hesitant to put a big 4.0 crank with the small bore and I'm thinking a 3.6 stroke forging would be better

the 4.0 stroke is much more common, and I may have a good crank in my current motor (only 35k on it). hmmmmmm...........

I have LS9 hg and would like to run maybe the ls9 or even a cleveland ford head stud

like to also hear more about pinning the mains and other bottom end mods

option #3

even more money

LSX or LS Next block, keep the 4.0 forged lunti crank and rods and build a 4.0 X 4.0 engine and let it eat (heavier, more $$)

This has been such a high $ journey already, I'm leaning towards option $$$ 1 and just have some fun with it!!!

Turpid porpoise 02-05-2019 11:02 AM

I vote for option 3. What do you plan to do for throttle input since the platinum can’t use the DBW throttlw?

Rkreigh 02-06-2019 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise (Post 1598821956)
I vote for option 3. What do you plan to do for throttle input since the platinum can’t use the DBW throttlw?

I have a crazy sniper style manifold with a cable tb

lsx blocks get much down below 2k I'd be tempted, but that will stretch out the build

I'm going to do a RCA (root cause analysis) and see if the current motor is viable, if not, likely option $1 if I want to be able to afford to install the haltech which will take 2k and up

fuel system 1500+ exh fitment, engine take out and install, coatings for the manifolds. some of these are must do

My budget gets "well" very quickly if I use the existing short block (or save the motor I have) I saw a nice LSX short block for 7k that would do the job, I have 6 bolt heads, but that solution gets pricey pretty fast!!

I guess it all does. I agree that "build it right, build it once" is always the best way

Rkreigh 02-26-2019 06:23 AM

bump it up

I have some parts laying around that I likely need to move

lunati forged 4.0 crank,

lunati h beam 6.135 rods,

j&e forged pistons

iron or alum block

ls1 intake or sniper sytle

I have this stuff lying around, along with a nice twin turbo system to build a "bigger thumper"

I'm going to stay short stroke for now to save a $ or two and ramp the torq up a bit slower to try and hook it with boost by speed (traction control will wait )