CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Latest rumor - Geneva + Amelia Island (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4239131-latest-rumor-geneva-amelia-island.html)

MichaelPSmith 02-05-2019 01:29 PM

Latest rumor - Geneva + Amelia Island

Article states that GM is planning show numerous past mid-engine prototypes registered for Amelia Island display the day after Geneva show

http://www.thedrive.com/news/26334/m...eases-c8-debut

Jeff V. 02-05-2019 01:35 PM

GM has already shown 'numerous mid-engine prototypes and concepts' at a half dozen shows. Accoiding to your own article, GM has gone on the record saying they have no plans for anything at Geneva. They said the same thing before Detroit, and despite all the internet experts claiming that was some kind of elaborate psy-ops, they really didn't bring anything.

But hey, maybe this time it really will happen. :rolleyes:

ArmchairArchitect 02-05-2019 01:36 PM

...they've already been doing this (showcasing the historic midengine Corvette prototypes) at numerous shows over the past year. Nothing noteworthy here.

WICKEDFRC 02-05-2019 01:38 PM

Meh. I've given up. The excitement has wore off. It's almost as if we know there will eventually be a C9 on the horizon now.

It is what it is.

Foosh 02-05-2019 01:43 PM

Yep, someone posted here a week or so ago that the Amelia Island folks were hoping to have the C8 to show along w/ the previous ME concepts, but GM told them it was not going to happen.

Jeff V. 02-05-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC (Post 1598823003)
Meh. I've given up. The excitement has wore off. It's almost as if we know there will eventually be a C9 on the horizon now.

It is what it is.

I heard they're going to skip a generation, then bring the car back as a re-skinned BMW.

Dan Dlabay 02-05-2019 01:56 PM

As far as I'm concerned until GM Officially announces that a mid engine corvette is coming and when it will be revealed it is all speculation. So far GM has not officially confirmed anything.:cheers:

John T 02-05-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect (Post 1598822978)
...they've already been doing this (showcasing the historic midengine Corvette prototypes) at numerous shows over the past year. Nothing noteworthy here.

I see this as a gray area and not necessarily a coincidence. I would not bet against the new car being there.

Foosh 02-05-2019 02:31 PM

It could well be that the mid-engine prototype tour was planned by GM when an earlier C8 ME reveal was anticipated. When that target wasn't met, they decided to let it go on anyway, and it can't hurt to build anticipation.

Dominic Sorresso 02-05-2019 05:00 PM

GM is just trying to establish that it DOES have a history of building mid engine Corvettes. They’re building the provenance for when the C8 is announced.

Bigeasyvette 02-05-2019 05:06 PM

I'll be at the Amelia Island event with a few friends and our wives. I'll be sure to report back if I see any C8's lurking around ...........

GOC 02-05-2019 08:35 PM

At this point, it'll come out whenever it comes out. In the meantime, enjoy your C7, C6, C5 etc. etc.

At the end of the day we know it's going to be mid engine and it'll look at least decent and the Stingray equivalent will be doing somewhere around 3.5 secs 0-60mph and low 11s in the 1/4 mi give or take a tenth. It'll handle very well and be a few secs faster than the C7 on most tracks. It's not going to be something where it'll smoke the Senna for only $70k. With that understanding, it'll come out when it's ready and I'll be excited then.

Garret 02-06-2019 02:01 PM

and again....

jimmyb 02-10-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff V. (Post 1598823050)
I heard they're going to skip a generation, then bring the car back as a re-skinned BMW.

What kind of lame company would offer a re-skinned BMW as one of their hallowed nameplates....oh, wait.

jimmyb 02-10-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bigeasyvette (Post 1598824339)
I'll be at the Amelia Island event with a few friends and our wives. I'll be sure to report back if I see any C8's lurking around ...........

The C8 will be with Bigfoot and Nessie....if you see a big hairy guy and a sea serpent looking creature, there's bound to be a C8 lurking:thumbs: