CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   2020 C7 Production? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4239200-2020-c7-production.html)

Sniper_97 02-05-2019 05:06 PM

2020 C7 Production?

This morning I saw Rick Conti speaking of the very real possibility of continued C7 production (I'm assuming ZR1 included).

Mr. Conti seemed sure there would be a limited C7 run at least due in part to C8 ME electrical problems. He reiterated he was going to check with all his sources to get a determination on said run.

I'm sure Mr. Conti is part of CF; if I misunderstood you sir, it was not my intention to put words in your mouth.

Has anyone heard anything about a limited run C7 for model year 2020?

punky 02-05-2019 05:36 PM

It might have been judicious and ethical for Mr Conti to check with "all his sources" prior to making this statement.

DebRedZR1 02-05-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by punky (Post 1598824598)
It might have been judicious and ethical for Mr Conti to check with "all his sources" prior to making this statement.

lol
those sources are gone with the wind. Fueling a YouTube Biz with click bait is not on anyone’s agenda these days.

tooold2race 02-05-2019 07:54 PM

I'm pretty confident that there will be a 'reveal' at the Museum in conjunction with the coming assembly. It will be the 2020 C7, in my opinion. Hopefully there will be a 'Special Edition' version of the ZR1 and not another 'yawn' like the 'Driver's Edition' or the European 'Final Edition'.....

Sniper_97 02-05-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by tooold2race (Post 1598825350)
I'm pretty confident that there will be a 'reveal' at the Museum in conjunction with the coming assembly. It will be the 2020 C7, in my opinion. Hopefully there will be a 'Special Edition' version of the ZR1 and not another 'yawn' like the 'Driver's Edition' or the European 'Final Edition'.....

I too hope for a Special Edition like my 2013 Black Centennial Edition ZR1. ( It was really carbon flash and not "Black." Lol)

I just wanna see the C7 ZR1 run another model year.

Glenn Quagmire 02-05-2019 10:10 PM

As a current owner, I’d selfishly prefer the C7 ZR1 to be one and done😊

djnice 02-06-2019 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 (Post 1598825102)

lol
those sources are gone with the wind. Fueling a YouTube Biz with click bait is not on anyone’s agenda these days.

Is this true...what has changed? I unsubscribed to all the youtube bs a while back so have no idea.

DebRedZR1 02-06-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by djnice (Post 1598829756)
Is this true...what has changed? I unsubscribed to all the youtube bs a while back so have no idea.

Sources grew tired of it too as most was unsubstantiated BS and over-hyped long drawn out click bait

Hib Halverson 02-07-2019 12:06 PM

My belief is that the C7 in some form will be available in '20 and '21.

As for ZR-1s beyond MY19?
I think it unlikely that Chevrolet would offer a C7 in MY20 which outperforms the base-model C8, which is likely to be a late-introduction 2020 model.

Let me know what you think.

Steve Garrett 02-07-2019 12:14 PM

Any "sources" anyone has are still not gospel. The mid engine will be revealed in due time. Everyone else's input is still pure speculation.

Sniper_97 02-07-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1598835253)
My belief is that the C7 in some form will be available in '20 and '21.

As for ZR-1s beyond MY19?
I think it unlikely that Chevrolet would offer a C7 in MY20 which outperforms the base-model C8, which is likely to be a late-introduction 2020 model.

Let me know what you think.

With literally hundreds of C7's still on dealer lots, I couldn't imagine not making a ZR1 if in fact they do continue C7 production. Just my $0.02

Rinaldo Catria 02-07-2019 08:03 PM

GM is on record as saying the 2019 ZR1 was Corvette’s expression of the ultimate performance that could be had out of a front mid engine platform. So do you really think they “back track ” that by producing a handful of 2020 “better than what last year we thought was the ultimate front engine Corvette?” I DON’T THINK SO. Despite what I believe MIGHT be a slight delay in the first C8 reaching a customers hands, the C7 ZR1 will be only a 2019 model IMO. As for other C7’s built along side the C8, it would fly in the face of everything we have known about how GM handles the transition from one gen to the next. C7 sales have fallen off a cliff. Inventory has piled up. Why waste time and effort to build more of them only having to discount them heavily to move them. GM should, and I believe will, be concentrating 100% of their focus and manpower on getting C8’s out to customers as close to perfect as GM has ever built a car. It will be a VERY heavy lift. To confuse and complicate things by continuing to build the C7 at the same time would go down as Corvettes biggest mistake IMO.

RedZ4me 02-07-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria (Post 1598838358)
GM is on record as saying the 2019 ZR1 was Corvette’s expression of the ultimate performance that could be had out of a front mid engine platform. So do you really think they “back track ” that by producing a handful of 2020 “better than what last year we thought was the ultimate front engine Corvette?” I DON’T THINK SO. Despite what I believe MIGHT be a slight delay in the first C8 reaching a customers hands, the C7 ZR1 will be only a 2019 model IMO. As for other C7’s built along side the C8, it would fly in the face of everything we have known about how GM handles the transition from one gen to the next. C7 sales have fallen off a cliff. Inventory has piled up. Why waste time and effort to build more of them only having to discount them heavily to move them. GM should, and I believe will, be concentrating 100% of their focus and manpower on getting C8’s out to customers as close to perfect as GM has ever built a car. It will be a VERY heavy lift. To confuse and complicate things by continuing to build the C7 at the same time would go down as Corvettes biggest mistake IMO.

Plenty of IMO and I believe in your post - in other words like everyone else, YOU don't know

Sniper_97 02-07-2019 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria (Post 1598838358)

Slight delay? We're talking 6 months!! (At least.) That's June at the earliest--and that's the electrical system. What is something else goes wrong? You're talking about a whole new car here. Regardless, then there's more testing; and, when that's (finally) done, you start production.

It makes perfect sense to keep making C7 ZR1. However, I'm not on the board of either Chevrolet or GM, so my opinion counts for squat. Just saying . . .

Rinaldo Catria 02-08-2019 12:59 AM

Virtually everything being said about the C8 has “IMO” attached to it. It will be that way until GM makes the reveal, and that date isnt even known. I happen to think the car is closer than many believe. Recent GM reveal of the instrument cluster supports my theory. I wont be at all surprized if the mid engine car is getting delivered to customers by fall 2019 as a 2020 model.

VETTEMANN 02-08-2019 08:05 AM

I've said it before, so here again (just to stir it up :D):

2020:
Collector Edition C7 'send-off' cars (ending by March, 2020; C7 ZR1 discontinued)

2021:
C8 Introduced in January; C7R race team 'goes through the motions' until C8R debuts at LeMans
C8 On-Sale April, 2020 as a 2021 MY ...(for first fools who pay $20K+ over MSRP)
C8 appears as Indy 500 Pace Car
C8R first races at 24 du LeMans

Mic drop... [img]images/smilies/patriot.gif

Mr. Gizmo 02-08-2019 08:42 AM

C8 may also see delays due to rumor of it not meeting safety/crash testing requirements in addition to electrical issues. C7 might be around for longer then expected

Rinaldo Catria 02-08-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598840417)
C8 may also see delays due to rumor of it not meeting safety/crash testing requirements in addition to electrical issues. C7 might be around for longer then expected

There are several scenarios that could play out here, but I believe the C7 production cessation and the C8 introduction are independant decisions and the former has already been decided. If the C8 is delayed for longer than originally anticipated, we will just have a period of NO VETTE PRODUCTION. THERE WILL NOT BE A 2020 ZR1...the stupidest thing GM could do would be to have car lots full of C7s to unload at big discounts during the C8 roll out.

Mr. Gizmo 02-08-2019 01:17 PM

That would be good having a period of no production. That would help the value of c7 and c6 cars for the long and short term. But I think c7 cars will still be cranked out for a while even when the c8 hits the showroom.

RapidC84B 02-08-2019 01:59 PM

They didn't cobble together a 1983 C3 when the 1983 C4 didn't make it on time. C7 is done next month or two, then we wait.