CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Vibrations / Alignment (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4239373-vibrations-alignment.html)

BillDurant 02-06-2019 09:56 AM

Vibrations / Alignment

89 six speed 117,000 miles I do not race
I have 4 new tires on the car have had the Rack & Pinion replace, had 2 front end alignments car steers straight now used to pull to the right badly
I'm getting vibrations in 3rd gear around 60 mph I also feel it threw the stick shift vibrating. Speed up and down and it lessens
I do have one rim that has a dent in it from a curb hit ( rear passenger side ). Could that be the vibration or not?
I had new engine mounts installed also >> how is the transmission secured in a C4 ?
lot's better on this car but just this vibration

Bfenty 02-06-2019 10:18 AM

I've been having a nearly identical vibration recently (from ~58-62 mph). I'm thinking it's the wheel hub/bearings and U-joints that need to be replaced. It's speed-based not RPM based, correct? And manifests as the whole car just resonating/vibrating?

Being speed based, I'd say it is after the transmission, somewhere in the drivetrain.

transmission is secured to the bellhousing with 4 bolts, and a c-beam back to the rear differential.

BillDurant 02-06-2019 10:51 AM

yes speed based
I actually have 2 new wheel bearings still in the box, they were cheap so need to buy 2 more
garage tells me $100 each to install

U Joints looks like more involved and for me would require the garage also but I'd rather of course be sure what to do before sinking more money into this
If I were to sell this car I'd have to have it driving no vibrations at least and let new owner deal with any other issues them selves
Love driving the car but budget is limited

Bfenty 02-06-2019 10:58 AM

Absolutely agree they're fun. Doing the work yourself can save a ton of money though if you're able.

drcook 02-06-2019 11:03 AM

I do have one rim that has a dent in it from a curb hit ( rear passenger side ). Could that be the vibration or not?
If you are interested, my friend has a set of take-off rims from his 1990 that he would sell very reasonable. They are in really good shape. Shipping would be the issue. Where are you located ?

They do not have the TPMS modules with them.

BillDurant 02-06-2019 11:05 AM

No thanks we're thinking it's wheel bearings or U joints

drcook 02-06-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BillDurant (Post 1598828404)

Of course, just saying there is a set available for less than most folks think they are worth, if you decide that you (or anyone else for that matter) would want them.

I have a vibration in my front end that has been there through 2 different sets of tires and 2 different sets of rims. Even though the car only has 19,000 miles on it now, the vibration was there at certain speeds since I bought it in 2016 with 11,800 miles. I replaced the rear bearings as I saw the grease seals leaking from sitting so much in its life and I suspect the fronts have been affected by that also. So they are on the list to be replaced also.

The good NAPA ones (at least for my '96) for the rear are actually made by SKF. Those were the ones I bought as NAPA people do have the latitude to give better prices if you make acquaintances. You can also get a very significant discount by going through Advance Auto's website. A lot of times it will push up a 25% discount, so you should look at them also and do some price shopping before buying.

BillDurant 02-06-2019 12:04 PM

wow that's low miles on yours for that vibration have you done an front end alignment from a good garage?
I can't really tell on mine if it's front or rear but with 117,000 miles not shocked it vibrates from something

Bfenty 02-06-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by drcook (Post 1598828386)
If you are interested, my friend has a set of take-off rims from his 1990 that he would sell very reasonable. They are in really good shape. Shipping would be the issue. Where are you located ?

They do not have the TPMS modules with them.

I might be interested, depending on how reasonable. Looking for a set of wheels to put racing tires on, are they the sawblade type?

Originally Posted by BillDurant (Post 1598828404)

I've done a lot of work on these cars but I'll freely admit there are other people with MUCH better experience than I. These two things are on my to-do list for the summer. If I get them done I'll let you know if I still have issues after. Let me know your findings as well :)

drcook 02-06-2019 01:13 PM

wow that's low miles on yours for that vibration have you done an front end alignment from a good garage?
Yes, twice. the car sat for most of the 10 years prior to me buying it in 2016. Not being driven took its toll on some components.

I might be interested, depending on how reasonable. Looking for a set of wheels to put racing tires on, are they the sawblade type?
No, they are the standard type that came on 89/90's but they are square in their size (ie: all four the same size). I do not remember if they have any rash on the edges, the couple I took out of the box when they were here at my house didn't look too bad.

I have a set of sawblades off my '96. The right side had a small amount of rash where the woman that had it bumped a curb but they are not bent or really bad. My car has the option for the same size tires on all 4 corners. I do not know if the cars that came with different size tires had the same size rims for all 4. That would be for someone else to answer.

Hit me with a PM if further interested. Shipping would be from Akron, Ohio area.