CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Interior Black Trim Paint (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4239552-interior-black-trim-paint.html)

CanadaGrant 02-06-2019 06:38 PM

Interior Black Trim Paint

I was looking for a product to paint my T-Top liners and some trim pieces with the same sheen or shine as the rest of the interior trim in my 69. I used the stuff below and it came out a pretty well perfect match to the rest of the interior trim. It's cheap, available at Walmart or anywhere, really covers nice with just one thin coat, bonds to plastic, did not reduce the surface grain and is the same finish or sheen as the original satin trim. Just an FYI in case you might be looking for something.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...59f87a7f2a.jpg

7T1vette 02-06-2019 11:51 PM

If the term "liners" means the roof interior panels attached to the T-tops, I would have used vinyl dye. But, if that stuff has some elastomers added to it so that the paint will flex with plastic parts, and it looks good to you, go for it. Metal interior pieces that are painted black get "satin" black paint. Vinyl & plastic interior parts usually have more of a semi-gloss appearance.

But, there is nothing wrong with using what you think works for you.

CanadaGrant 02-07-2019 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1598833172)
If the term "liners" means the roof interior panels attached to the T-tops, I would have used vinyl dye. But, if that stuff has some elastomers added to it so that the paint will flex with plastic parts, and it looks good to you, go for it. Metal interior pieces that are painted black get "satin" black paint. Vinyl & plastic interior parts usually have more of a semi-gloss appearance.

But, there is nothing wrong with using what you think works for you.

I agree. The paint can be used for plastic and is flexible. The biggest problem I have found over the years is most stuff you use whether it says satin or semi gloss is either too shiny or too dull or isn't flexible or doesn't cover without a heavy coat that fills the grain. I also tried a light dusting at the bottom front of a door panel because of a scuff from a shoe and you would never know it had been there. I have never seen anything cover like this with just a small application and for prep all I did was wipe it with a paper towel with a bit of brake cleaner on it to remove any of the "conditioners" or "protectants" that had been applied to it over the years.

Blue73Shark 02-07-2019 07:36 AM

I agree with CanadaGrant.
We model railroaders use this paint on our track, rolling stock, and buildings as it is friendly to plastic, does not fill in fine details, and is flexible (ie. It stays on parts that are handled and bent).
Fran

Auggievf 02-07-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blue73Shark (Post 1598833758)
I agree with CanadaGrant.
We model railroaders use this paint on our track, rolling stock, and buildings as it is friendly to plastic, does not fill in fine details, and is flexible (ie. It stays on parts that are handled and bent).
Fran

Hey! Completely off topic but I inherited all my grandfathers model trains when he passed and my family decided they couldn't get any money for them. I spent most of my childhood in his "train room" which essentially was a whole back house full of models and layouts... So much time spent laying track, crawling under spaces he couldn't get, making an endless supply of flatcars.... I keep telling myself that one day I will have my own train room and put all those boxes of trains to use again....

But back on topic, yeah, I had great luck with plastic spray for plastic and spray dye for vinyl... But honestly, unless you are going for show quality getting judged, whatever makes YOU happiest is best :-D Glad you found a solution that works for you.

CanadaGrant 02-07-2019 03:43 PM

This is what the interior T-top panel came out like. The grain is the same as before with no filling and the sheen matches.
One light coat.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...96a660a1c0.jpg

Redvette2 02-07-2019 04:54 PM

Looks good! I used Rust-oleum Black Flat Protective Enamel to repaint my beige ebay headrests and the color and shine came out almost exactly the same as my black vinyl seats. I did not want to fool around with die and my car is already of mixed ancestry anyway so it was close enough.

Redvette2

DKM-106 02-08-2019 12:18 AM

I would use SEM Landau Black vinyl dye and use the SEM vinyl prep first. It will turn out with the right sheen and match the factory color well.

Blue73Shark 02-08-2019 07:16 AM

Came out nice - great detail and the sheen is right on the mark. Thanks for the pic.
Fran

ZAKsPop 02-08-2019 07:01 PM

How do you think it will do on the shifter console plate and the center cluster? I think I'm going to go grab a can and try it out.

DKM-106 02-08-2019 07:40 PM

I have tried Sem Landau black on the console plate and the gauges. It looked nice but not quite the shine of factory. I stripped all the paint and then used a Krylon satin black and the finish was great.

ZAKsPop 02-09-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DKM-106 (Post 1598844187)
I have tried Sem Landau black on the console plate and the gauges. It looked nice but not quite the shine of factory. I stripped all the paint and then used a Krylon satin black and the finish was great.

Thanks!

Auggievf 02-11-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DKM-106 (Post 1598844187)
... I stripped all the paint and then used a Krylon satin black and the finish was great.

same here. Krylon satin worked and looks great. If I were going for show or judging quality things would be different but it looks great to me and that's what counts ;-)