CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Need ideas for installing an 8 track tape player (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4239787-need-ideas-for-installing-an-8-track-tape-player.html)

OLE442 02-07-2019 01:51 PM

Need ideas for installing an 8 track tape player

I'm trying to install a mini 8 track tape player in my 1976 and never realized there is not too much room to hang one under the dash and not too much room anywhere to put one. I'm working on the stock radio to see if I can make it work and really wanted the mini 8 track to hang under the dash on the passenger side right next to the console. I thought about mounting it behind the seats on the deck somewhere but then I might have an issue with storing the T-tops back there. I thought about hanging under the rear window but then, I'm also working on making the removable rear window conversion and I do have the complete storage tray for the window. I guess I could just wrap the rear window up and lay it on the T-tops and sell off the complete rear window storage tray!

I was thinking about normal (roomy) 60's and 70's cars while I was planning on doing this. If anyone has photos of where they put their 8 track recently or back in the day, please post. I'm putting a larger Craig 8 track in my 1972 442 when I get it done and want the ambiance of an 8 track in both of my toys so I'm on a mission!! Thanks for any thoughts or info you can provide.

Thanks,
OLE442

Tiger Joe 02-07-2019 02:46 PM

i think it was 78 the corvette got the factory optional 8 track. I dont know, but is there any way to modify the center gauge/radio bezel to the 78+ so you could use a factory radio?

Redvette2 02-07-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Joe (Post 1598836374)
i think it was 78 the corvette got the factory optional 8 track. I dont know, but is there any way to modify the center gauge/radio bezel to the 78+ so you could use a factory radio?

Guess what...the black book shows option UM2 which is AM-FM Stereo with 8 Track! 1977 to 1983.

Redvette2

OLE442 02-07-2019 09:17 PM

I may just pull the stock radio out and I believe I have another NOS in dash 8 track with radio I might try to see if it fits. Any thing I remove on the car I save in a box just in case for the future.

ezobens 02-07-2019 11:18 PM

70-72 Olds 442 had an optional 8 Track player from the factory.
They weigh a ton!

BLUE1972 02-07-2019 11:41 PM

Most people mounted the 8 track on the back wall between the seats. Vertical

A friend had an 8 track only on the parking brake console - hole for the cassette facing forward.

OLE442 02-08-2019 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ezobens (Post 1598838756)
70-72 Olds 442 had an optional 8 Track player from the factory.They weigh a ton!

Yeah, they mounted below the dash, right in the middle of the dash and just above the center console. There was a housing for them that looked like part of the dash. They are VERY EXPENSIVE, at least to a commoner like me, and working or non-working they are expensive. That's why I'll mount my 70's Craig Power-Play 8 track with a slide in mount..... just under the dash on the passenger's side (Just like the old days). Cost effective and period correct.

OLE442 02-08-2019 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 (Post 1598839507)
Most people mounted the 8 track on the back wall between the seats. Vertical

A friend had an 8 track only on the parking brake console - hole for the cassette facing forward.

My cousin, who owned the car since the early 80's until he passed away a few years ago, had his CB radio mounted on the back wall. He used the mounting point for the T-Top hold down strap as a point for the CB mount. The CB was the first thing to go. I actually thought about buying one of those center console armrest pads and doing some surgery to the bottom of it to make a hollowed out space for the Mini 8 track on the console. It might work!!

stingr69 02-08-2019 08:29 AM

Vertical on the passenger side of the console??? Seems workable.

Bikespace 02-08-2019 09:19 AM

Do you need to play actual 8-Tracks, or just want to listen to classic rock? Perhaps a hidden Bluetooth amplifier would be easier to install and sound better?

I may have the 8-Track player that the PO took out of my wife's 79. If a picture helps, I'll see if I can find it.

Priya 02-08-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442 (Post 1598839924)
Yeah, they mounted below the dash, right in the middle of the dash and just above the center console. There was a housing for them that looked like part of the dash. They are VERY EXPENSIVE, at least to a commoner like me, and working or non-working they are expensive. That's why I'll mount my 70's Craig Power-Play 8 track with a slide in mount..... just under the dash on the passenger's side (Just like the old days). Cost effective and period correct.

I recently threw out my second car stereo, it was also a Craig powerplay but had an FM radio as well. I didn't think anyone would be interested in it.

OLE442 02-08-2019 05:08 PM

I have a couple boxes of 8 tracks to use in my cars including a new in the wrapper copy of "Grand Funk Live". The Craig Power Play has AM/FM and I even have the amp for it. No Bluetooth crap for me. Grandpa is old school!! LOL

Redvette2 02-08-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442 (Post 1598839924)

Yes that brings back memories...just out of high school, bought a Madman Muntz eight track and installed it on the passenger side next to the console (not a Corvette, $150 1956 Chevy). I was stylin'....sounded so good and you could flip thru four track/songs when ever you wanted. What you are doing is totally cool! :cool:

Redvette2

kanvasman 02-09-2019 08:02 AM

Make sure you have the 8 track dividers for in the glovebox .

The Punisher 02-09-2019 10:06 AM

The 8 tracks do degrade over the years so don't expect all of them to play anymore. When I had my '77 with stock 8 track player I would hit garage sales and buy 8 tracks . Only about 50% of them would play, and they physically looked fine.

OLE442 02-09-2019 09:56 PM

I think I have a solution. Pics if it works. Thanks for the input!

OLE442 02-11-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kanvasman (Post 1598846131)
Make sure you have the 8 track dividers for in the glovebox .

My Corvette doesn't have a glovebox....LOL!

And no. I'm not adding a reverb unit! Been there, done that. Got it out of my system!! Ha!

OLE442 02-11-2019 02:15 PM

OK, I m mounting he 8 track to a place close to the rear package storage area.

Are there spots where I can ground the unit back there? Not sure what's fiberglass or metal.

I'm going to run a wire up to the fuse box and connect a clip somehow to the radio port on the fuse box so the 8 track will only be on when the ignition is on. Does this sound OK? I haven't done this kind of thing since back in the late 70's so I want to see if I'm doing something wrong!

I'm also putting a Soundbar speaker system in the back of the storage area behind the seat up against the rear bulk head. I was trying to install without drilling holes but every way I can think of could be dangerous in the event of a wreck. One other member mounted his Soundbar in the back and used self tapping screws into the rear bulkhead. Is tha safe and is there anything close behind the bulkhead I can eff up? Any thoughts on the procedure? I assume I'd need to drill a small pilot hole and then drive the self tapping screws in. Any tips on drilling through the carpet without unweaving the pile carpet (did that once hen I was younger)?

Grandpa is a real nervous person and don't want any new things to work on this winter??

Any helpful advice will be appreciated!!

Thanks
OLE442

kanvasman 02-11-2019 06:58 PM

My bad, didn't realize the year of the car w/ no glovebox. I am doing a restomod on my 78 and I refuse to put anything in the glovebox, anxiously waiting for the day when I can fill it up with 8-tracks. You can ground your system to the birdcage steel behind the trim behind the passenger seat. Not sure of the clearance on your 76 but on the 78 the gas tank is back there a few inches away from the bulkhead. If you go high enough you shouldn't have any issues, but it's worth knowing that it is back there. Good luck and have fun.

Bikespace 02-11-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442 (Post 1598859378)
OK, I m mounting he 8 track to a place close to the rear package storage area.

Are there spots where I can ground the unit back there? Not sure what's fiberglass or metal.

I'm going to run a wire up to the fuse box and connect a clip somehow to the radio port on the fuse box so the 8 track will only be on when the ignition is on. Does this sound OK? I haven't done this kind of thing since back in the late 70's so I want to see if I'm doing something wrong!

I'm also putting a Soundbar speaker system in the back of the storage area behind the seat up against the rear bulk head. I was trying to install without drilling holes but every way I can think of could be dangerous in the event of a wreck. One other member mounted his Soundbar in the back and used self tapping screws into the rear bulkhead. Is tha safe and is there anything close behind the bulkhead I can eff up? Any thoughts on the procedure? I assume I'd need to drill a small pilot hole and then drive the self tapping screws in. Any tips on drilling through the carpet without unweaving the pile carpet (did that once hen I was younger)?

Grandpa is a real nervous person and don't want any new things to work on this winter??

Any helpful advice will be appreciated!!

Thanks
OLE442

For the ground, the flat panel behind the seats should be metal, even with fiberglass floors. Check with a magnet underneath the storage compartment doors. My 80 has a wiring harness ground attached near the armrest, and several relays on the passenger side. The battery is also there, which should have a good ground connection. ;)

I can't recommend drilling holes in your car, but if your soundbar replaces the rear speakers, there should be brackets where the speaker panels mount. These were, I think, riveted into the body a the factory, but you could perhaps tie into the brackets, too.

If you really want to drill through carpet without pulling threads, you can burn a hole with a hot awl or soldering iron. But I really wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck!