CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Magnaflow LT1 Muffs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4239851-magnaflow-lt1-muffs.html)

novaks47 02-07-2019 05:03 PM

Magnaflow LT1 Muffs

I've spent ages looking at various exhausts for the LT1 cars, and I think I'm going to just go with mufflers, as all I'm after is a change in sound. I'm considering the Magnaflow mufflers with the LT1 tips from Corvette Central(NOT the axle-back offered by Magnaflow). Thing is, I'm wondering how they look on the car, especially from the side. Does anyone have any pictures of these on their car? I couldn't find any when I searched.

Paul Workman 02-08-2019 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by novaks47 (Post 1598837192)
I've spent ages looking at various exhausts for the LT1 cars, and I think I'm going to just go with mufflers, as all I'm after is a change in sound. I'm considering the Magnaflow mufflers with the LT1 tips from Corvette Central(NOT the axle-back offered by Magnaflow). Thing is, I'm wondering how they look on the car, especially from the side. Does anyone have any pictures of these on their car? I couldn't find any when I searched.

IDK if this helps...but I have MF mufflers on my ZR-1 (pictured).
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...db500c78b0.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ed9fd06ede.jpg

Initially, I also had the MF rsonator too. But, I changed it in favor of the Stainless Works "X-pipe".

With the resonator there was no drone, but it the inlets were choked down to well under the 3" id pipes on the input and output sides. The new X pipe was worth about 20 hp over the MF resonator. I get some drone now with just the MF mufflers. But, it is tolerable - long as I stay below 1800 rpm and above 2200.

alprzy 02-08-2019 02:22 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf6b3ef259.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4c6a6d3769.jpg
Agree totally on the drone being tolerable. Love the look too.

novaks47 02-08-2019 02:59 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm looking for pics of these : Magnaflow

Great looking C4's though! Good info on the x-pipe too Paul. I was considering one of those as well. I figure either x-pipe/stock mufflers or stock resonator/Magnaflows. I think the mufflers will do the task though. Since my C4 isn't in the greatest shape, more of a driver really, I'm not going to spend a ton more money on it. Still gotta do the front bushings and ball joints. :/

johno504 02-08-2019 09:28 PM

Have that muffler along with shorty headers and 3 inch midpipe on my LT4. I thought it was too quiet at first ,but after 10k miles it is broken in and several people have told me car sounds "good" . nothing much to look at , just semi gloss black square tips. the CE came to me with the quad tip ss mufflers, BOTH muffler top mounts tore off just like a sheet of paper , tossed them in the garbage the build quality was crap.

novaks47 02-08-2019 10:22 PM

Sounds like exactly what I'm after for sound. I like an exhaust a bit on the mellow side. Are the mufflers angled like the stock ones? They look like they might be, as in the pics the tips look like they're angled down a bit, which makes me think the mufflers are angled slightly up like stock.

johno504 02-09-2019 09:08 AM

the slight down angle is just do to the way they mount . is a small angle, so go for it. BEST option for the price. I put them on the CE for the stock sleeper look, not like the 4 tip organ grinder POS ss mufflers that failed.

novaks47 02-09-2019 09:14 AM

Thanks! Definitely going with those mufflers then. Now if it would quite raining so I can actually work on the car! I've got a pile of parts just sitting awaiting installation, haha! Guess I'll be adding those mufflers to the pile. Spring can't come soon enough.

v8vette84 02-12-2019 09:12 PM

I had the Magnaflows with LT1 tips. Sounded good but droned BAD. I also had headers though so I'm guessing that didn't help. Good looking muffler but I didn't like the drone. I LOVE the LT1 tips though. Not a big fan of the round tips although I think the dual outlets help to lessen the drone vs the single outlet of the LT1 tip Magnaflows.

She got a little bit louder and the drone went away going with the delete pipes that have the LT1 tips from corvette central. I am using an OBX resonator as well which helps.

novaks47 02-13-2019 08:16 AM

I'll bet that the drone was mostly due to the headers. Headers make a big difference on any car. I once had a tubular shorty on a 4-cylinder car, and the exhaust note got deeper and louder, and induced a bit of drone. And that was with both the pre-cat and cat still on the car.

Heck, the stock exhaust drones a bit, especially around 1800 RPM. I'm sure that'll get a bit worse with nearly any muffler, but I usually force a downshift(auto tranny) or get on the gas more. Luckily my car came with the 3.07 rear end, so drone shouldn't be as bad as the taller geared C4s.

TorchTarga94 02-13-2019 09:30 AM

I had these on my 94'. Never was satisfied with them. Great sound but, they always reminded me of a poor fitting fart can exhaust on a Honda Civic. Get something that angles up with the body line of the car like the factory mufflers.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...76c659de9e.jpg

novaks47 02-13-2019 09:45 AM

Just to confirm, you had the ones with the LT1 tips? Because I thought those are angled up like stock. I know the ones direct from Magnaflow with the dual round tips stick straight out, which is partly why I don't like them. I'd love to have a Corsa, but can't justify the cost, for just a cosmetic and sound change. I'm also worried it would be too loud, especially when going up hills, which is a good chunk of my commute. Granted the C4 isn't my daily driver, but still a concern.

TorchTarga94 02-13-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by novaks47 (Post 1598870525)
Just to confirm, you had the ones with the LT1 tips? Because I thought those are angled up like stock. I know the ones direct from Magnaflow with the dual round tips stick straight out, which is partly why I don't like them. I'd love to have a Corsa, but can't justify the cost, for just a cosmetic and sound change. I'm also worried it would be too loud, especially when going up hills, which is a good chunk of my commute. Granted the C4 isn't my daily driver, but still a concern.

I did not have the ones with the LT1 tips, those might be okay. I had the full system from magnaflow with the quad tips.

I've heard the ones with the LT1 tips sound pretty good but quality control is a little suspect, might take quite a bit of fitment and possibly a muffler shop to get the tips even. In my opinion buy the magnaflow mufflers by themselves and have an exhaust shop install the factory LT1 tips on those.

v8vette84 02-13-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by novaks47 (Post 1598870133)
I'll bet that the drone was mostly due to the headers. Headers make a big difference on any car. I once had a tubular shorty on a 4-cylinder car, and the exhaust note got deeper and louder, and induced a bit of drone. And that was with both the pre-cat and cat still on the car.

Heck, the stock exhaust drones a bit, especially around 1800 RPM. I'm sure that'll get a bit worse with nearly any muffler, but I usually force a downshift(auto tranny) or get on the gas more. Luckily my car came with the 3.07 rear end, so drone shouldn't be as bad as the taller geared C4s.

I'm sure a good amount was from the headers. My car has 3.73's now but my car droned when it had the factory 3.07's and the 3.73's. I'm just lucky my drone frequency is higher or lower than my cruising rpm with the deletes so it's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by novaks47 (Post 1598870525)

I haven't heard a single person say they had drone with the Corsa system. It's certainly worth the money considering the R&D Corsa put into it. I agree the price is steep though. Hence why I have changed my exhaust setup 3 times... trying to find a balance of sound vs drone. If you buy the Corsa you won't have drone. Bottom line.

I still believe the C4 will get more drone from a single outlet muffler vs a dual outlet. Many members on here have taken their dual outlet mufflers and had washers welded into one of the outlets to reduce drone. I think that idea works somewhat like a helmholtz resonator. It causes sound waves to bounce back and eliminate a certain frequency. Unfortunately if you want the LT1 tips you are stuck with a single outlet muffler. ( I know there are a few odd mufflers out there that are similar to the LT1 tips using dual outlet muffs but they don't look right)

v8vette84 02-13-2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94 (Post 1598870543)
I did not have the ones with the LT1 tips, those might be okay. I had the full system from magnaflow with the quad tips.

I've heard the ones with the LT1 tips sound pretty good but quality control is a little suspect, might take quite a bit of fitment and possibly a muffler shop to get the tips even. In my opinion buy the magnaflow mufflers by themselves and have an exhaust shop install the factory LT1 tips on those.

Can you do that? Factory LT1 tips use single outlet mufflers. Magnaflow mufflers are dual outlet. I'm not sure there would be enough space.

TorchTarga94 02-16-2019 08:11 AM

Yes you can get Single In/ Single Out magnaflow mufflers. I would search around LOCALLY and find a competent exhaust shop that uses Magnaflow or even Flowmaster really (Magnaflow better IMO). And have them remove the factory mufflers, and install Magnaflow in their place reusing the factory tips. It will be a cleaner install, look better from the rear since there won't be any seams/clamps, and everything will fit and sound good.

You can get this same muffler with 2-1/2" ports

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f23e5caffc.jpg

Might be better to use offset though:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f63c2f9514.jpg

novaks47 02-16-2019 08:25 AM

Yeah, I'll get a quote from a muffler shop that I had do some work on another one of my cars. I doubt I'll save any money going that route, as labor rates are very high in the Bay Area. Plus, despite there being tons of muffler/exhaust shops, most of them suck. It's amazing how many people can barely weld, yet stay in business. Standalone Magnaflows are $80-100/ea, then I figure $100-150 for labor, so in the end, close to the cost of Corvette Central mufflers. Of course, like you said, they'll look better and be welded.

9T3VETTE 02-18-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94 (Post 1598870439)
I had these on my 94'. Never was satisfied with them. Great sound but, they always reminded me of a poor fitting fart can exhaust on a Honda Civic. Get something that angles up with the body line of the car like the factory mufflers.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...76c659de9e.jpg

This is my biggest complaint about the MF system. I can deal with drone all day long, but the straight-out design doesn't go with the lines of the car. Still not enough for me to justify a full price corsa system and no lucking scoring used.
One more season and i'll prob go back to a stock catback. They sound pretty stout with headers and cam.