CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   So here are the symptoms..... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4239919-so-here-are-the-symptoms.html)

360Rocket 02-07-2019 08:30 PM

So here are the symptoms.....

So I am tall(er) and my drivers seat is almost in the far most back position. I cannot move the power seat back or forward anymore but the lumbar adjustments still work. My memory seat buttons don't work but they "beep" when you press them. Also my telescoping steering wheel is not working. The fuses all check out fine as pertaining to the power seats. The "fun" part of this is the seat is all the way back so I can't get back there to unbolt the seats or get under the seat to see if any connections have come apart. Any ideas, or things I should check for to further diagnose? Any tricks to fixing this issue if hopefully the issues are related? Thanks in advance.

2008 Corvette 02-07-2019 08:47 PM

Why don’t you try to unbolt the front and go from there.

360Rocket 02-07-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette (Post 1598838576)
Why don’t you try to unbolt the front and go from there.

But by doing that won't I end up bending the seat brackets lifting up the front of the seat?

2008 Corvette 02-07-2019 09:03 PM

Maybe a little but then at least you can access the plugins a little easier. Block up the front. Worth a try.

360Rocket 02-07-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette (Post 1598838673)
Maybe a little but then at least you can access the plugins a little easier. Block up the front. Worth a try.

Definitely worth a try, do you think the wiring for the telescopic steering is under the seat as well?

RogerRamjet21 02-08-2019 01:38 PM

It could just be dirty switch contracts. Mine would go back last weekend, but not forward. I rapidly bumped the switch between neutral and forward about a dozen times and it started working again. Worth a try...

360Rocket 02-08-2019 04:20 PM

Thanks Roger tried the switch and connector cleaning to those that I could reach. I did however pull up the front end of the bottom cushion and spied this:https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...472836f341.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to get the seat unbolted from the floor so I can repair this? Can I somehow remove the seat cushion while its still in the car? That of course is not up near the front of the seat, its towards the back.

timd38 02-08-2019 04:49 PM

My car had the cheap seats and you could use the lever on the top to fold the seat forward and the the back had a zipper that you could unzip and take the contents of the seatback out and get to the bolts. I had the seats redone with Z06 foam and custom covers, so I can't do that anymore, but worth looking at the back of your seat to see if it has that zipper.

360Rocket 02-12-2019 08:55 PM

So the seat is so far back that the rear seat mounting bolts are covered by the seat frame. The detached red wire in the picture is a "hot" 12 volts and it looks to be detached from a plug going into a box and of course the plug is facing towards the rear of the seat. Do I have any other options besides grinding off the rear seat bolts from under the car? This sucks!

2008 Corvette 02-12-2019 09:29 PM

Try sticking a jumper wire of sorts into where the red wire goes CAREFULLY. Then connect battery, might work to be able to move seat forward.

360Rocket 02-13-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette (Post 1598868877)
Try sticking a jumper wire of sorts into where the red wire goes CAREFULLY. Then connect battery, might work to be able to move seat forward.

I tried that yesterday and because I cant put my eyes on where that wires home is, I was rewarded with sparks and smoke for my efforts.

doomi 02-13-2019 04:58 PM

A very long extension and try to hit the rear bolts from the front of the seat?

It's been a while since I had mine out so I can't remember if that's an option.

Edit: Found this on another forum

The seat was all the way back and blocking any access to the nuts in the back of the frame. There is not enough clearance to get to the connector on the motor. What I had to do was pull the upholstery off on the bottom of the seat. I did some damage to the upholstery, but I repaired it. Once I got the upholstery removed I had access to the connector on the motor. I removed the connector and used a 12 volt to hotwire the motor and move it forward enough to remove the nuts. The problem with the motor was that the red and black power wires going to the black box that is mounted under the seat were broken off.

RogerRamjet21 02-13-2019 05:28 PM

Maybe one of these will help.

RogerRamjet21 02-15-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 360Rocket (Post 1598843124)
Thanks Roger tried the switch and connector cleaning to those that I could reach. I did however pull up the front end of the bottom cushion and spied this:https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...472836f341.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to get the seat unbolted from the floor so I can repair this? Can I somehow remove the seat cushion while its still in the car? That of course is not up near the front of the seat, its towards the back.

Is there a final outcome on this?

PCMusicGuy 02-15-2019 05:47 PM

So, I had something similar happen on my seats. My lumbar and bolsters still worked but the front/back/up/down switch did not work. I'm 6'3" and the seat is always fully down and fully to the rear in my car. What I was able to do is fish the connector for the front/back motor out just enough to disconnect it, and then used an old 12V DC power supply (probably from some old electronic gizmo) and connected lengths of wires/paper clips to the correct terminals and applied to power to move the seat forward so I could then get to the rear bolts to pull the seats. I have a picture of the terminals and connector I jumped in the thread linked below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ould-know.html

360Rocket 02-15-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21 (Post 1598883676)
Is there a final outcome on this?

Not yet, haven't had luck with putting the red wire in its place to move the seat forward as I cant see where to place the wire to energize the motor. I've bought numerous wrenches in different configurations and STILL can't get a good bite on the back seat bolts.

RogerRamjet21 02-15-2019 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 360Rocket (Post 1598887130)
Not yet, haven't had luck with putting the red wire in its place to move the seat forward as I cant see where to place the wire to energize the motor. I've bought numerous wrenches in different configurations and STILL can't get a good bite on the back seat bolts.

You think one of the chain drive wrenches I linked to above could get on the bolts or nuts?

360Rocket 02-17-2019 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21 (Post 1598887349)
You think one of the chain drive wrenches I linked to above could get on the bolts or nuts?

Unless it has a flexible head I would say no.

PCMusicGuy 02-17-2019 11:13 PM

As far as I know there is no tool that can get to the rear bolts if the seat is all the way back and and down. Hopefully you'll be able to get it out by finding the magic place to get the motor moving.

RogerRamjet21 02-18-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 360Rocket (Post 1598898478)
Unless it has a flexible head I would say no.

Would the chain drive wrench with a flex socket have enough room to get on the bolt/nut?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cc5a813744.jpg