CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   YUP! Another A8 Shudder thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4240062-yup-another-a8-shudder-thread.html)

azcanuk 02-08-2019 10:14 AM

YUP! Another A8 Shudder thread

With all the bad publicity the A8 is getting, I get the feeling that we're all doomed for a TC failure at some point.

I've had the triple flush done preemptive and I've also purchased the Range AFM. With only 5400 miles on the Beast I'm hoping that I've taken the measures necessary to keep this issue at bay.

What I'm wondering thou, since most posts about this issue are from those that have had shutter/TC failure, that surely not everyone has had issues, or am I being nieve. So I'd like to hear from A8 owners (hoping there are some!) that have NOT had an issue.

Whats your car year, how many miles on it and how have you driven it (auto/paddle shift). Have you had any fluid changes in anticipation of potential issues.

Thanks all.

BOBSZ06 02-08-2019 02:10 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4978db0476.jpg
2015 built in late Jan. 2015 with the A8....first week of the Z06 with the A8!
Only 12000 miles with a RANGE installed a few months after receiving the car in April 2015....had the RANGE exchanged for free with latest model in December 2018.
No changes, flushes, etc to A8.....perfect.
Drive, Auto and Manual

SLEEKVET 02-08-2019 03:54 PM

I have a 2017 Z06, 9,200 miles, many of them highway. I did recently got the new fluid flush (8,000 miles) but that was preventative maintenance as I never had any shutter.

ArcticZ1 02-09-2019 10:24 AM

2017 z06 1800 miles no flushes and using range since day one. Happy to report no issues thus far.

mig1980 02-09-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1 (Post 1598846708)
2017 z06 1800 miles no flushes and using range since day one. Happy to report no issues thus far.

Does anyone know if there is a way to install a range module when the diagnostic port is already being occupied by a Top Down Tech module? I would like to run both, not one or the other.

djnice 02-09-2019 04:05 PM

I used Range and M on my 17 GS A8 for 7500 miles. No issues, but when not on the Range it had shudder and RPM fluctuation.

There have been posts where using Range TC still went out at 30,000 miles.

ArcticZ1 02-09-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mig1980 (Post 1598847658)
Does anyone know if there is a way to install a range module when the diagnostic port is already being occupied by a Top Down Tech module? I would like to run both, not one or the other.

Reach out to the guys at Range I’m sure if there is a way they’d know about it :thumbs:

pkincy 02-09-2019 07:48 PM

2016 Z96, A8, 10,000 miles. Use M most of the time to stay out of V4. Have had 2 instances of Shudder. I was surprised how it felt. Like running over about 20-25 1x1s laid sideways in the road about 20 inches apart. Very noticeable. But only had those 2 so can't expect it to be repeatable for a Service Manager so haven't had any of the flushes yet.

jlbjr 02-09-2019 09:41 PM

I have a 2016 2lz with 17,000 miles. I get the shudder pretty consistently. But, only when the transmission bogs when trying to accelerate in too high of a gear. Like at 50mph and you slightly push the gas to pass someone. It will shudder slightly if I don’t give it enough pedal to downshift. On my car it’s just driving technique, I think it’s normal. My ATS did the same thing. Thanks

gve 02-11-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jlbjr (Post 1598850339)
I have a 2016 2lz with 17,000 miles. I get the shudder pretty consistently. But, only when the transmission bogs when trying to accelerate in too high of a gear. Like at 50mph and you slightly push the gas to pass someone. It will shudder slightly if I don’t give it enough pedal to downshift. On my car it’s just driving technique, I think it’s normal. My ATS did the same thing. Thanks

Are you using 93 octane? Mine does the same thing if I use 91 but with 93 it doesn’t shutter.

Road machine 02-11-2019 12:19 PM

My Z06 is too new (2109, 1500 miles) My wife's Camaro with the same A8 had an issue at about 7500 miles. That car got totaled and the new car replacement (same 2017 Camaro SS vert 50th anniversary) has not had any issues after 9,000 miles. My GMC Sierra Denali with the same A8 is beginning to show signs of shudder. It has been to the dealer to feel the issue and now am scheduled for the Triple Flush next week.

pkincy 02-11-2019 12:22 PM

Multiply the cost to triple flush and then if not succesful put in a new TC by several million and you see the cost problems that GM is trying to minimize.

ZeeOh6Nut 02-11-2019 12:51 PM

2015 A8 purchased new April 2015. 13.8K miles and no shudder yet. I can't remember ever seeing V4 mode but I drive it more spirted where it never gets the opportunity. I used paddles maybe 10% of the time and the car has only had 93 octane since birth. Trans has not had its first flush yet but I was told on the 500 mile oil break-in oil change by the selling dealer service tech that there was an update applied to the programming for the a8. A short time before that update, I was parking the car in a mall parking lot and had come to a complete stop in the parking space while in 'D'rive and about to put it in 'P'ark. There was a car about 5 feet away in the space in front of me. While I had my foot on the brake (right foot), the car tached up to about 3000RPM with me holding the brake HARD in a panic and not touching the accelerator. Came close to hitting the car in front of me and then the car went back to idle after approx. 5 seconds. Never happened again but the drive-by-wire programmed technology of modern cars has not yet gained my trust. If a person had been right in front of my car that day, I think they would have been hit while hearing the revving of the engine and assuming I did it.

Road machine 02-11-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut (Post 1598858828)
2015 A8 purchased new April 2015. 13.8K miles and no shudder yet. I can't remember ever seeing V4 mode but I drive it more spirted where it never gets the opportunity. I used paddles maybe 10% of the time and the car has only had 93 octane since birth. Trans has not had its first flush yet but I was told on the 500 mile oil break-in oil change by the selling dealer service tech that there was an update applied to the programming for the a8. A short time before that update, I was parking the car in a mall parking lot and had come to a complete stop in the parking space while in 'D'rive and about to put it in 'P'ark. There was a car about 5 feet away in the space in front of me. While I had my foot on the brake (right foot), the car tached up to about 3000RPM with me holding the brake HARD in a panic and not touching the accelerator. Came close to hitting the car in front of me and then the car went back to idle after approx. 5 seconds. Never happened again but the drive-by-wire programmed technology of modern cars has not yet gained my trust. If a person had been right in front of my car that day, I think they would have been hit while hearing the revving of the engine and assuming I did it.

I have to say that the drive by wire has been proven to be pretty bullet proof. I would suggest that the likely issue you had was that your foot was hitting both brake and gas at the same time. I know that in your mind this would be impossible, but it is actually quite possible to do, and the first thing your mind will tell you is to push the brake harder which will make the engine rev higher as well. I bet your foot shifted after a bit and the gas came off.
Audi had a similar problem where the car would suddenly move in forward or reverse at full throttle when engaging the transmission. They tested it for years and could never get it to happen in test conditions even under huge extremes. Turned out that the wider tunnel in that Audi model moved the peddles over to the left so the gas peddle was about where the brake peddle had been in other years. The ultimate fix is what we live with today, which is you have to put your foot on the brake to remove the car from park.....not a single issue since making that change.

madrob2020 02-11-2019 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Road machine (Post 1598858970)
I have to say that the drive by wire has been proven to be pretty bullet proof. I would suggest that the likely issue you had was that your foot was hitting both brake and gas at the same time. I know that in your mind this would be impossible, but it is actually quite possible to do, and the first thing your mind will tell you is to push the brake harder which will make the engine rev higher as well. I bet your foot shifted after a bit and the gas came off.
Audi had a similar problem where the car would suddenly move in forward or reverse at full throttle when engaging the transmission. They tested it for years and could never get it to happen in test conditions even under huge extremes. Turned out that the wider tunnel in that Audi model moved the peddles over to the left so the gas peddle was about where the brake peddle had been in other years. The ultimate fix is what we live with today, which is you have to put your foot on the brake to remove the car from park.....not a single issue since making that change.

I have to agree this is MOST likely what happened. At Spring Mtn. school on several hard braking corners the RPM went very high & made the engine scream even though slowing with side of right foot pushing gas down ( I was driving M7). I was wearing my running shoes with a wide foot pad which was overlapping the brake pedal in hard braking, I wasn't centering my foot on the brake just kinda using left edge of right foot on brake. Caught on after 2-3 episodes :ack:I have found this to be even more of a problem on my F150 (AUTO) which has a VERY soft brake pedal & I really tend to let my brake foot hang off it in normal driving around town.

Tort 02-11-2019 04:24 PM

2017 Z07 - no "shudder" at any point. Currently have 11K miles on the clock and did a tranny flush around 6K miles as preventative maintenance the same time I had all the other mods done. Runs like a champ. (knock on wood)