CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What’s going on? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4240155-whatis-going-on.html)

Jerrymannal 02-08-2019 02:53 PM

What’s going on?

Started to get a flashing red/orange light on my trickle charger. C7 2016 with only 8k miles. When in the garage it gets plugged in and usually shows 2 green lights. Am I ready for a mew battery after less than 3 years and if so is it covered by the warranty. Lastly do the Chevy dealers have a “BETTER” battery to install that will last more than 2 or 3 years?

redman76 02-08-2019 03:43 PM

I'm not sure what is the build date for your car, but you could be approaching the 4-year mark which is about a long as I would expect an original battery to last. I'm not sure what the dealer options are, but I'd find the closest AutoZone and spend $160 on a Duralast Gold Battery. Others will have different opinions, but this is what I do and I've never had issues.

ImpliedConsent 02-08-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal (Post 1598842615)
... less than 3 years and if so is it covered by the warranty.

I remember reading that the battery is only covered for 12 months. I can't find it in the warranty booklet (again).

S.FLA..Z06 02-08-2019 04:13 PM

My oe batt lasted 2 years to the week lol ..

Kevin A Jones 02-08-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrymannal (Post 1598842615)
Started to get a flashing red/orange light on my trickle charger. C7 2016 with only 8k miles. When in the garage it gets plugged in and usually shows 2 green lights. Am I ready for a mew battery after less than 3 years and if so is it covered by the warranty. Lastly do the Chevy dealers have a “BETTER” battery to install that will last more than 2 or 3 years?

My model 3300 that comes with some C7s starts flashing red/orange if the plug comes slightly out of the trunk charging port. You may just want to try unplugging it and re-plugging to make sure it's making good connection. That's worked for me a while back.

Skid Row Joe 02-08-2019 04:31 PM

You'll save money going with a Sears Diehard replacement battery, over other pricier brands. :yesnod: Just sayin'......

Kevin A Jones 02-08-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1598843176)
You'll save money going with a Sears Diehard replacement battery, over other pricier brands. :yesnod: Just sayin'........

Just saying....... Sears is all but out of business.

roadbike56 02-08-2019 04:45 PM

If your battery is on the way out, you won't need a flashing light to tell you. It will turn over the engine slower than before. I'd check all the connections for the charger first.
The OEM battery is a 3 year warranty. Mine went 4.5 years and was going strong when I time replaced it.

robertbruce 02-08-2019 05:11 PM

Make sure it is plugged in all the way and give it a slight turn. You have a bad connection.

Jerrymannal 02-08-2019 06:38 PM

OK—took the Vette for a 30 mile ride. Pulled into the garage and plugged in the trikkle charger—all the way in with a twist. Also made sure I wasn’t crushing the wires when I closed the hatch. Green light came on and a steady red light came on. 15 minutes later the red one goes off and the second green one is on. I guess the battery is OK but I will keep watching just in case. Car is a late 16 build so I still have several months on the warranty. Thank all for the help,

Gearhead Jim 02-08-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by roadbike56 (Post 1598843240)
If your battery is on the way out, you won't need a flashing light to tell you. It will turn over the engine slower than before. I'd check all the connections for the charger first.
The OEM battery is a 3 year warranty. Mine went 4.5 years and was going strong when I time replaced it.

I agree about checking the connections, my factory charger was having problems similar to OP, dealer replaced charger under warranty due to bad connection and everything works fine now.

But as for getting a "cranks slow" warning about impending battery death, many people have posted on CF about how everything was working fine until suddenly the battery wouldn't crank at all. Corvette friends report about a 50-50 chance of warning vs sudden death.

OntarioOrangeC3 02-09-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1598843237)
Just saying....... Sears is all but out of business.

Slimmed down, but not out of business.

http://money.com/money/5504250/sears...rt-bankruptcy/

Vet Interested 02-09-2019 04:34 PM

Better choices than Sears out there. Especially with less stores to honor their warranty.

Avanti 02-09-2019 07:06 PM

I've found that the "same" OEM batteries in the same cars are all over the place, as to longevity. I've had one go over 10 years and another (in my C5 I ordered new) go just over two, while a buddy's bought at the same time and driven the same--daily-- got over five years. Go figure. I've seen no pattern to it and I've spent my career finding patterns in data.

When they first came out I put Optimas in everything they'd fit, with consistently good results, but since the company has been purchased I've had two new ones go bad immediately (a pattern I do not intend to further explore)! :crazy2:

c6miller 02-09-2019 07:28 PM

You may want to try another charger. I've had several of them go bad.