CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   National Corvette Museum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4240717-national-corvette-museum.html)

JimInPA 02-10-2019 09:23 AM

National Corvette Museum

My first trip to the NCM. Every Corvette enthusiast should get there at least once.
This is a little video tour of the place. A mix of all generations. Looking down the sinkhole was just eeeerie. What an awesome place!

mikelj 02-10-2019 01:32 PM

It is a great place to visit for anyone. I just donated my 1981 NCRS 4 Star Bowtie Award winner with 5000 miles, one of the first built in the new Bowling Green factory. I need to visit her soon, and I hope they have the factory open for tours by then. That also is a must see event.

tuxnharley 02-10-2019 02:19 PM

Yup! We’ve been there - and the factory tour - 3 times. Every Corvette owner should go at least once!
:thumbs:

PG C6 02-10-2019 02:54 PM

Great video fur people like me who haven‘t visited the NCM yet :thumbs:

bb62 02-10-2019 03:16 PM

It's funny how one can view an experience based on a comparative experience. When I visited the Corvette Museum, I was completely underwhelmed. I did find the factory visit interesting, but the museum experience seemed somehow lacking. Why did I have this reaction? Simple, I made the "mistake" of visiting the US Air Force museum in Dayton first on the way down from the Detroit area. THAT is a museum - and it's free too!

warrenmj 02-10-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by bb62 (Post 1598853626)
It's funny how one can view an experience based on a comparative experience. When I visited the Corvette Museum, I was completely underwhelmed. I did find the factory visit interesting, but the museum experience seemed somehow lacking. Why did I have this reaction? Simple, I made the "mistake" of visiting the US Air Force museum in Dayton first on the way down from the Detroit area. THAT is a museum - and it's free too!

I did the same thing 2 years ago and had the same reaction as you!

426 Hemi 02-10-2019 04:12 PM

THAT is a museum - and it's free too!

At least a 2 day visit to take it all in.

JimInPA 02-10-2019 04:54 PM

I have not been to the Air Force museum in Dayton- at least yet. I will have to check that out. I did go to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola about a week after the Corvette museum. I enjoyed that very much. I guess it is all about expectations. They were both what I expected. I learned more about Corvette history, saw cars that legends sat in, cars that I could never own but would love to. The same at the Naval Aviation Museum. Seeing aircraft that fought in so many wars, preserved freedom, stuff that went to space, etc. In comparison the aviation museum is much more- but I still enjoyed them equally. Like I said- I guess it is all about expectations.

I'll have to research the Dayton museum and add it to the list for a future excursion.

Thanks!

59BlueSilver 02-10-2019 11:43 PM

Yeah, same here, I was expecting more but enjoyed what I saw. I went a few years prior to the sinkhole, probably around 2005.

Frankie the Fink 02-11-2019 12:02 PM

You can only expect so much from a car museum devoted to one marquee. I was slated to go last year but the wife had to have her appendix removed suddenly - its still on my bucket list.

Military museums are a whole different thing - make a visit to the NAVY Seal Museum in southern Florida sometime....those guys must have needed wheelbarrows to haul their gonads around..

JimInPA 02-13-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598858491)
its still on my bucket list.

Been there once and it is still on my bucket list. :) I will be going again when the factory tours start back up.

JimInPA 02-20-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598858491)
You can only expect so much from a car museum devoted to one marquee.

It kept me interested for a few hours. After leaving I found a place across the street that was pretty cool. I think it was called Al's. It was a personal collection of some guy and a bunch of vintage cars for sale. Made the visit that much better. :)