CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   67 435 Faked? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4240745-67-435-faked.html)

L76_Cpar 02-10-2019 10:17 AM

67 435 Faked?

I am considering 67 cars and have hard the the 67 435 are the most faked cars. I am interested in learning more so I can avoid. Can you use CCAS to authenticate the engine stamp and Vin plate to avoid being taken? Or can they even get around the engine pad stamp and Vin authentication?

Please advise (send a PM if you think best to discuss)....

Nowhere Man 02-10-2019 10:27 AM

Your right about one of the most faked. Having Al Greening aproval does help.

kenba 02-10-2019 10:48 AM

I would want real paperwork before I would buy a 435 for big money. A real tank sticker or POP. Would not have bought mine if it didn't have a tank sticker 26 years ago. Yes they were faking & restamping blocks back then.

L76_Cpar 02-10-2019 01:09 PM

Thanks for your note and your thoughts! Also, your car looks great.

Wish I, too, was in position 26 years ago to go after one of these. Always like the 67 but it was out of my league back then. Now it will be a much more expensive venture...

L76_Cpar 02-10-2019 01:10 PM

Thanks for your thought!

Dan Hampton 02-10-2019 01:18 PM

That is why people like Pancho Thompson are invaluable to our members. A few dollars invested in an evaluation can save tens of thousands of dollars and multiple headache down the road. With the high end cars, always approach them with a jaundiced eye.

AZDoug 02-10-2019 02:58 PM

This is always an instructive thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-250-bore.html

Doug

Wayne88 02-10-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by C2Scho (Post 1598852204)

A 67 L71 or perhaps a 67 L68 are believed to be the most "faked" corvettes out there and the standing joke is that there are more of them now than were ever produced during the 67 model year.

I would add the 1965 396 cubic inch L78 to that list. I'm sure there are more of them than were actually produced.

However, full disclosure solves a lot of problems. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a correct, well running 435, in a '67, if it's disclosed properly and the price is $30K less than a 'born with' 435. The way I see it, the block is just another part of the car.

Mike Smith 02-10-2019 05:36 PM

I would speculate that the very best fakes are close to undetectable. However, most are not that sophisticated. Join the NCRS and buy the judging guide for the year you are interested in, and you'll be able to spot a lot of potential problem cars. Continue to stay active here on the forum and educate yourself (there are some really sharp members here), and you'll likely avoid a disappointing surprise down the road.

Good luck with your search!

vettebuyer6369 02-10-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 65_L76_Wanted (Post 1598851940)
I am considering 67 cars and have hard the the 67 435 are the most faked cars. I am interested in learning more so I can avoid. Can you use CCAS to authenticate the engine stamp and Vin plate to avoid being taken? Or can they even get around the engine pad stamp and Vin authentication?

Please advise (send a PM if you think best to discuss)....

I believe Al and CCAS only authenticate cars for the current owner, if I remember correctly. Someone can correct me if Im mistaken.

So, if true, unless you can get a potential seller to get CCAS involved, you might not be able to go that route on a prospective buy to "avoid being taken."

Nowhere Man 02-10-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 (Post 1598854782)
I believe Al and CCAS only authenticate cars for the current owner, if I remember correctly. Someone can correct me if Im mistaken.

So, if true, unless you can get a potential seller to get CCAS involved, you might not be able to go that route on a prospective buy to "avoid being taken."

that is true and if the seller has nothing to hide then a agreement should be able to be reached. if the seller refuses then you know something is up

emdoller 02-10-2019 06:46 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you want one?

Ed

bb62 02-10-2019 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by kenba (Post 1598852109)
I would want real paperwork before I would buy a 435 for big money. A real tank sticker or POP. Would not have bought mine if it didn't have a tank sticker 26 years ago. Yes they were faking & restamping blocks back then.

I agree with this. When I bought my 67 435 back in 1995, besides being an low mile original unrestored car with the original engine it had:
. Original Window Sticker
. Corvette order - Copy #7 document
. Tank sticker (still on the tank - but visible and clean)
. POP (with service records noted inside)
. Original Owner's manual
. A news article on the car and original owner from 1968 (with pictures) that I got from the original owner (from Thunder Valley raceway as one of their record holders)
. Letter from the original owner with a contemporary picture
. Copies of the title from the second owner that go back to 1970 when sold by the same dealer (the title from the original owner got turned in when the car was sold back to the dealer in 1970).
. Sales document for the second sale
. Maintenance records from day 1
. And a copy of the original invoice of the car (dealer is keeping the original so the car cannot be faked).
.Original keys (as silly as this sounds, there are numbers on the keys that tie to the Copy #7)

Originally Posted by Wayne88 (Post 1598854153)
I
However, full disclosure solves a lot of problems. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a correct, well running 435, in a '67, if it's disclosed properly and the price is $30K less than a 'born with' 435. The way I see it, the block is just another part of the car.

For a real 67 435, the premium is well above $30K over a restamp/fake/tribute car or whatever you want to call them.

Originally Posted by emdoller (Post 1598854845)
Just out of curiosity, why do you want one?
Ed

I would not want to speak for the OP, but when I bought mine in 1995, I had some of the following reasons:
- Represents the pinnacle of early generation Corvette street performance. Everything after 67 got slower and the race engines (L88/ZL1) were not really street vehicles.
- Most dramatic looking Corvette within the most classic Corvette generation. I think they overshadow all the earlier C2s, even the SWC. That 67 BB hood may be the most copied styling cue in all the automotive performance world.
- Still a very fast car made for spirited driving. The original owner of my car ran 12.9 in the quarter bone stock. With some reversible mods (with all the original stuff back on the car when I bought it) the car ran 11.7 sec 1/4 at about 125 mph. These were and still are very fast cars.
- A silver big block 67 was owner by a co-worker when I had a summer job back in 1979. The look of the car blew me away and I promised myself that I would get one some day.

To the OP, there are a lot of fakes out there, but there are real known cars that are out there. Expensive, yes, but at least you get what you paid for. As for the driving experience, a quality fake (bought at a much lower price) can still be a great experience. The car won't be any different and most people won't know or care if the car is an original car, and there are a lot of them out there.

vettebuyer6369 02-10-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1598854829)
that is true and if the seller has nothing to hide then a agreement should be able to be reached. if the seller refuses then you know something is up

Or they don’t want to pay for it. :D

Nowhere Man 02-11-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 (Post 1598856275)
Or they don’t want to pay for it. :D

when your selling or buying 100k plus old car a agrement could be reached based on the finding of the report.

Tonio 02-11-2019 06:15 PM

Are you in this for the enjoyment of driving an iconic car? If so, do yourself a favor; buy one that is advertised as a NOM. You’ll enjoy it much more than a “correct” car that you’ll constantly worry about and be questioned about its true authenticity.

Are you in it as a pure investment? If so, don’t buy anything until you learn every single detail and nuance of these cars. Fair warning; it takes many years and many trips to the psychiatrist before you’ll be ready to make a purchase!

My advice: buy a car that you think is cool, and just drive it for fun. Life is short.......

emdoller 02-11-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tonio (Post 1598861116)
Are you in this for the enjoyment of driving an iconic car? If so, do yourself a favor; buy one that is advertised as a NOM. You’ll enjoy it much more than a “correct” car that you’ll constantly worry about and be questioned about its true authenticity.

Are you in it as a pure investment? If so, don’t buy anything until you learn every single detail and nuance of these cars. Fair warning; it takes many years and many trips to the psychiatrist before you’ll be ready to make a purchase!

My advice: buy a car that you think is cool, and just drive it for fun. Life is short.......

Great advice. This is why I asked why the OP wanted to buy this particular car.

Ed

19lover55 02-11-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 (Post 1598854782)

Correct been there done that!

emdoller 02-11-2019 07:24 PM

Or you can save money and buy a ‘69 Z28 cause those are never faked :D

Nowhere Man 02-11-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by emdoller (Post 1598861480)
Or you can save money and buy a ‘69 Z28 cause those are never faked :D

nah I here LS-6 Chevelles are good ones too