CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2019 engine tick (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4240841-2019-engine-tick.html)

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 03:18 PM

2019 engine tick

Wanted to run this by some people that have experience hearing these engines run or may have heard this before. I spent a few afternoons searching the forum for similar issues and there are a ton of threads complaining of engine noise so I'll apologize up front about starting another. I'm aware of the normal direct injection associated noise these motors make and I will be taking the car in to cover those bases.

Anyway, car has 30 miles and has been run up to temp twice. Engine temp, load, speed don't seem to make any difference in the noise. It's loud enough it sounds like a large exhaust leak at the passenger floorboard when driving and the radio doesn't cover the noise, its pretty loud and is present at all times. Oil level is fine, idles smooth, no stumbles or check engine lights so far the car runs strong in my brief experience with it.

Based off my research it seems like the frequency and regularity of it would point to a valve train issue but please correct me if I'm wrong. To me it sounds like excess lash in a rocker which I guess could be caused by a short lifter, bent rod, loose rocker, etc. I have read the fuel pump in these things can be pretty noisy but remember reading it pulses 3 times for every one cam rotation so I think this noise is too slow for that? It is more pronounced on the rear passenger side but it's tough to tell if it's in the valley or not, the fuel pump is located there correct?

Thanks all, links to videos below.

z06inVB 02-10-2019 03:24 PM

Definitely sounds like a valve train issue to me. We just dealt with a bent push rod on an old Mopar that sounded just like that. I would have it towed to the dealer and let them deal with it.

dmaxx3500 02-10-2019 03:42 PM

its got 30 miles,either drive the crap out of it,or take to the dealer

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 (Post 1598853775)
its got 30 miles,either drive the crap out of it,or take to the dealer

I would normally break in an engine with plenty of acceleration and engine braking but I'm not not playing around with going passed the break in limits that gm recommends. Don't want any assumptions about this being my fault due to abuse. I don't plan on driving it at all until it goes in actually.

djnice 02-10-2019 03:57 PM

Sounds like a knock and not normal.

mdolandese 02-10-2019 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully you get it resolved soon and are enjoying many miles and smiles to come, good luck.

Spitfire Mk1 02-10-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1598853669)
Definitely sounds like a valve train issue to me. We just dealt with a bent push rod on an old Mopar that sounded just like that. I would have it towed to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Sorry to hear the unknown with a new car.

Agree, call dealer and then have if towed there. Hopefully simple like pulley. Good luck and pls let us know.

devnull 02-10-2019 05:43 PM

Have you run it in eco mode? Is it a manual or auto trans? Sounds like a sticky lifter to me. With those miles I'd let them take care of it (it's not normal injector/pump sounds).

Keep up posted bud!

Thunder22 02-10-2019 06:36 PM

I was ready to tell you that it's a DI engine and they all tick, but what you've got there is definitely broken. Back to dealer.

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1598854473)
Have you run it in eco mode? Is it a manual or auto trans? Sounds like a sticky lifter to me. With those miles I'd let them take care of it (it's not normal injector/pump sounds).

Keep up posted bud!

I got it with 4 miles and the noise was present when it rolled off the delivery truck at my home. Assumed it was an exhaust leak but even if I figured it out at that point the car is mine anyway. Only realized what was going on fully once I had a chance to look into it over the weekend.

Car is a manual so no V4 miles as far as I know unless it was in the first 4 miles. Both times I drove it was a mix of tour and sport. Thought about taking it out and getting into V4 mode and then back out to try to cycle the valve train but decided to not drive it. It definitely sounds like there is slack in a tolerance that is being taken out and the tick is metal parts coming together. Just like a short lifter being smacked into a rod as the gap between them is taken out by the cam lift. All speculation of course.

If the lifter is collapsed it can't be completely because the car seems to run fine. Otherwise there would an intake or exhaust valve not opening on a firing cylinder right?

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1598854759)
I was ready to tell you that it's a DI engine and they all tick, but what you've got there is definitely broken. Back to dealer.

I went back and forth on it myself a few times since I know these engines are noisy but this is definitely a distinct metallic ticking above and beyond the sewing machine kind of ticking you get with DI.

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1598854473)

Keep up posted bud!

I've tried responding but my replies are being auto moderated. Car is a manual only had it in sport or tour both times I took it out.

HooosierDaddy 02-10-2019 07:42 PM

That sounds awfully familiar, sorry you're having to deal with this. This was my failed lifter... they ended up doing a complete rebuild.

devnull 02-10-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DopplerGS19 (Post 1598855034)
I've tried responding but my replies are being auto moderated. Car is a manual only had it in sport or tour both times I took it out.

Yeah I'd say that it's likely going to be a lifter. They manuals do not go into 4-cyl mode (other than in eco) so that's why I asked. Generally you'd want to stay out of that until full break in, but that's a non issue here either way.

Sorry about the hassle, it stinks on a new car!

devnull 02-10-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy (Post 1598855160)
That sounds awfully familiar, sorry you're having to deal with this. This was my failed lifter... they ended up doing a complete rebuild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCcfqFAUc8&t=2s.

DANG! That one was severe! How has it been since the rebuild? What exactly did they do?

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy (Post 1598855160)

It's definitely not that severe but I don't expect it to improve. At this point I'm just hoping whatever work gets done is proper and the car comes back in decent shape considering it was unwrapped 4 days ago. The first 30 miles had me really looking forward to more barring the tick it's a fantastic car.

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 07:57 PM

Also since this section gets more traffic than the regional if anyone has a recommendation for Corvette service in or around Columbia, SC I'd appreciate it. I'm considering taking it to Charlotte but we'll see. I have zero experience with any dealers around me.

HooosierDaddy 02-10-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1598855190)
DANG! That one was severe! How has it been since the rebuild? What exactly did they do?

It's runs great! Did a full teardown, replaced everything oil touched including the dry sump system. Comped me the Platinum GMEPP for an additional 3/36 bumper to bumper too. Noting like a 2016 car with B2B warranty through mid year 2022:thumbs:

Other than the stress/worry of a new car having this issue, It was a positive end result and I'm happy with the level of service the dealer provided.

HooosierDaddy 02-10-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by DopplerGS19 (Post 1598855246)
It's definitely not that severe but I don't expect it to improve. At this point I'm just hoping whatever work gets done is proper and the car comes back in decent shape considering it was unwrapped 4 days ago. The first 30 miles had me really looking forward to more barring the tick it's a fantastic car.

Get a Range Device for it. This lifter problem is related to cylinder deactivation.

DopplerGS19 02-10-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy (Post 1598855335)
Get a Range Device for it. This lifter problem is related to cylinder deactivation.

I've read that and since I have a manual trans I'll just avoid eco mode. I purposely didn't try it after reading all the stories during my pre purchase research. I almost took it out and cycled in and out of eco to see if the lifter would reset for the hell of it but I'm leaving it be.