CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Is anyone producing C3 drivers with modern drivetrains? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4240898-is-anyone-producing-c3-drivers-with-modern-drivetrains.html)

1971WBY 02-10-2019 06:01 PM

Is anyone producing C3 drivers with modern drivetrains?

If you belong to the Corvette Forum and you look at the C3 threads, then it is safe to say you're in love with the styling. While we all have that in common, in other ways members here can have pretty varied and different points of view: some belong to NCRS and value originality above all else, some love to mod their cars or race them, some are just looking for good deals.
I have been watching with interest as Jaguar and Aston Martin have rolled out factory programs to convert a few examples of their classic sports cars into electric cars. They're keeping the exterior and interior bone stock, but replacing the drivetrain with an electric motor and battery.
I wonder if anyone (not Chevy, I would imagine) will try to turn out a few C3's like this.
I also don't see a lot of modern, fuel efficient combustion engines going into C3's, with safety and efficiency improvements to go with it. I see a lot of old engines that have been worked over, but what about crate engines with a focus not just on performance but also on drivability and fuel efficiency?
First, are there shops or small batch producers out there who are giving C3's under the hood makeovers? I don't mean resto-mods with 500hp and upgraded suspension, I mean a modern drive train with HP on par with what the car was engineered for, but without the oil leaks, tune ups, a fuel burn we all know and love.
Second, anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be a market for this?

NONN37 02-10-2019 06:19 PM

I think we will eventually get there.
whatever company starts making an efficicient, electric/hybrid drop-in/bolt-on replacement for the small block will be a billionaire.
newer generation of kids like the new technology but old styling, they dont want the upkeep and high prices of maintaining old parts. thats why many automakers are making retro bodystyles.
Once someone figures out an easy way to replace any v8 with something cheap and efficient there will be more daily classic cars on the road and fewer gas guzzling classics in scrapyards.
the next coolest thing would be the ability to buy a tesla type chassis/running gear and drop your body on top. but thatll probably cost way too much

jim2527 02-10-2019 06:35 PM

Chevrolet did one for Jimmy Johnson

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...ette-stingray/

Metalhead140 02-10-2019 06:37 PM

Tons of LS swaps out there. Similar hp to an original high performance model, better economy and driveability, no leaks etc. There's also some big dollar aftermarket chassis that take modern suspension and are designed for the modern engines, these restomods generally get comfier interior, modern a/c etc as well. You could easily have one of these built (or build yourself) with a focus more on comfort, reliability and economy more than performance.

I doubt many people would be interested in a modern 150-200hp 4 cylinder swap.... Though I fully admit that I am biased, so I could be wrong. Likewise I doubt there'd be much interest in electric converted c3s, while ever we are still allowed to burn petrol, but again I'll admit personal bias, and that I could be wrong.

jim2527 02-10-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by NONN37 (Post 1598854658)
I think we will eventually get there.
whatever company starts making an efficicient, electric/hybrid drop-in/bolt-on replacement for the small block will be a billionaire.
newer generation of kids like the new technology but old styling, they dont want the upkeep and high prices of maintaining old parts. thats why many automakers are making retro bodystyles.
Once someone figures out an easy way to replace any v8 with something cheap and efficient there will be more daily classic cars on the road and fewer gas guzzling classics in scrapyards.
the next coolest thing would be the ability to buy a tesla type chassis/running gear and drop your body on top. but thatll probably cost way too much

Chevrolet will be offering a drop-in all electric motor. Their COPO Camaro just turned a mid-9 1/4...Vid below is of the first run. 10.1 @ 130mph @ 80% power.

C3 4ME 02-10-2019 07:16 PM

I think maybe the closest you could get to what you're talking about it Chevy's connect and cruise retrofit LS with transmission, computer, all the wiring etc. You'd have to do the installation yourself (or farm it out), but it's not intended to be a mega horsepower resto mod.

Andy1972 02-10-2019 09:12 PM

Heartland customs has a program called specvette. Unbelievable quality and the same price.

Richard454 02-10-2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jim2527 (Post 1598854789)
Chevrolet will be offering a drop-in all electric motor.

Yep- the electric motor uses the same mounting pattern on the bellhousing and crankshaft as the LS-family of engines.

Plus the equivalent of 700-horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque!!!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b8f06e1094.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...62d5fe9c01.jpg

7T1vette 02-10-2019 11:54 PM

All you need is a half-mile of very large extension cord.... :D

Actually, electric is the way most 'regular' vehicles will go--eventually.

Until batteries make a quantum leap in storage capability and longevity, only hybrid-electrics will be viable for normal use. All-electrics won't get the job done with present technology.

F22 02-10-2019 11:55 PM

Sorry, but the electric version of motive power doesn't do it for me. I watched the Pikes Peak record being set by the VW electric car and it sounded like an ice cream truck going up the mountain. An electric anything, of course is going to have a ton of horsepower and torque, I get it, but it will never replace the sound and feel of a nicely built V8. I'd rather go VROOOM, than whooooossh!

Bikespace 02-11-2019 12:32 AM

Not a lot of room for batteries in a C3. Energy storage is still the big hurdle. Everything else is there, but it seems that every advance in batteries just means that phones get thinner. You likely have to keep your phone on a charger to get through the day. Unless you have a charging station at work and one at home (or a way to charge during your commute), I don't think you'll see many electric C3 conversions.

That said, the best person to make the perfect C3 for you, is you, unless you can win the Sprint Cup and have Chevrolet Performance build you one. There are several aftermarket chassis manufacturers. Add whatever engine and (manual) transmission you want, and have a great car with a suspension equivalent to whatever generation of Corvette you want. A company has to pay for labor, and turn a profit, but you don't.

Superformance sells C2 Grand Sport rolling chassis for $100K. $164K for a complete car. Is anyone going to buy an equivalent C3 when you an buy two or three C7s for that?

jim2527 02-11-2019 09:44 AM

As mentioned a lot of companies will do a conversion... I like Detroit Speeds cars and I believe Katech does them as well.

Sunstroked 02-11-2019 10:23 PM

As to the original posters question as to whether there would be a market for an electric/hyper fuel efficient C3. Not for me. Im the restomod guy. Modern suspension, brakes, o.d. tranny, F.I. with big power. I'm still running a Gen 1 sb chevy, with an after market block and bored to 434 cu in. Thats just my tastes. Its a waste of energy, but oh gawd that big cam loping as I pull into a car cruise, yeah it gets attention. I can see the guy who wants to take a classic car design and turn it into a green car. I know the darn electric motors are really really fast. But I'm not that guy..