CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The Protector Warranty is garbage! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4241134-the-protector-warranty-is-garbage.html)

stevettec7 02-11-2019 12:26 PM

The Protector Warranty is garbage!

Just some information for anyone that might find themselves being offered an interior and exterior warranty offered by your dealer under the name of “The Protector.”

I recently tried to submit a claim for the leather lifting off of my dashboard on my 3LT They have come back and said lifting is an exclusion from coverage. In the wording it uses “burns, tears, cracking, blood...”

mschuyler 02-11-2019 12:47 PM

Isn't that covered by the normal warranty? Have you tried that?

z28lt1 02-11-2019 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598858803)
Isn't that covered by the normal warranty? Have you tried that?

OP seems to have a 2015 car, which is probably out of the B2B warranty.

sTz 02-11-2019 01:06 PM

:iagree: I’ve been burned before on fine print extended warranty BS, but never again...

Bubbletop409 02-11-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevettec7 (Post 1598858669)
Just some information for anyone that might find themselves being offered an interior and exterior warranty offered by your dealer under the name of “The Protector.”

I recently tried to submit a claim for the leather lifting off of my dashboard on my 3LT They have come back and said lifting is an exclusion from coverage. In the wording it uses “burns, tears, cracking, blood...”

Don't feel too bad, I am in the middle of the same thing with an intact GM B to B warranty. After waiting a month for a district manager to come around and approve my repair back in October, the dash is doing the same thing tree months later. Once again I am being forced to wait for DM approval, this from the same a hole who tried to charge me $ 690.00 for the MRC upgrade, AFTER I had showed them the GM printout explaining the procedure and cost to the customer.

jcthorne 02-11-2019 01:14 PM

Most extended warranties, including GM, Ford, Toyota even MB, do not cover trim and upholstery. In fact I have never seen one that did.

AORoads 02-11-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jcthorne (Post 1598858975)
Most extended warranties, including GM, Ford, Toyota even MB, do not cover trim and upholstery. In fact I have never seen one that did.

I believe the above is correct. And now you know to READ in advance of purchase what is included and what is not included. I have no idea whose plan is The Protector, but I'd guess it is not GM, or a GM-related agency/business.

As a sidenote, I checked my top of the line GM "extended warranty" (it is not a "warranty"; it is a prepaid service plan--there is a difference) called the GMPP Major Guard for the prior gen Corvette. While it doesn't call out specifically the dash, it does say upholstery, trim, carpet, etc. Which is probably close enough.

And one last thing: don't base any "extended warranty" on anything told you to you---if it is not in writing, it does not exist. If you come back a day, a month or a year later and "he told me it was covered" you won't get it covered. While I don't know if it began before the GMPP "extended warranty" (the older plan) specifically said: here is what is not covered. Everything else is covered. Period. For instance, it did call out MSRC, magnetic ride, which means it was not covered..

LuisZ51 02-11-2019 03:54 PM

I know a few people that have got the 3LT dash issues fixed out of warranty. It's a known issue and you shouldn't have a problem finding a dealer to help you.

JDSKY 02-11-2019 04:01 PM

Should have gotten the TruCoat inside and out. Would have avoided the problem completely.

stevettec7 02-11-2019 04:38 PM

My B-to-B warranty IS expired and this "Protector" coverage was touted as covering anything that should happen to the interior. I mean, seriously, if they said it would cover tears such as torn leather on a bolster from a grommet from your jeans, why on earth would I think they wouldn't cover leather that separates from the dash?

Avanti 02-11-2019 04:56 PM

I always recommend potential buyers of extended warranties simply explore the consumer research about them. Of course, many know somebody who made out like a bandit with them, the same as someone knows someone who smokes a pack of cigs a day and lived to be 100 (called the "person who phenomena" in the professional lit), but... Insurance companies don't satisfy their shareholders by paying out money, but by bringing it in. Hence, you can well expect the most common known and expensive problems to be excluded. :crazy2:

Zymurgy 02-11-2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1598859993)
I believe the above is correct. And now you know to READ in advance of purchase what is included and what is not included. I have no idea whose plan is The Protector, but I'd guess it is not GM, or a GM-related agency/business.

As a sidenote, I checked my top of the line GM "extended warranty" (it is not a "warranty"; it is a prepaid service plan--there is a difference) called the GMPP Major Guard for the prior gen Corvette. While it doesn't call out specifically the dash, it does say upholstery, trim, carpet, etc. Which is probably close enough.

And one last thing: don't base any "extended warranty" on anything told you to you---if it is not in writing, it does not exist. If you come back a day, a month or a year later and "he told me it was covered" you won't get it covered. While I don't know if it began before the GMPP "extended warranty" (the older plan) specifically said: here is what is not covered. Everything else is covered. Period. For instance, it did call out MSRC, magnetic ride, which means it was not covered..

Unlike GMPP (which is part of ALLY), the GMEPP (now called the Chevrolet (or Buick or Cadillac or GMC) Protection Plan) Platinum coverage DOES cover MSRC.

We will pay or reimburse You for approved costs, in excess of any Deductible, to repair or replace any Breakdown of all parts listed in Silver Coverage and any other parts, except for those items listed in the Exclusions section of this Contract.
Exclusion section:

This Vehicle Service Contract provides no Coverage or Benefits in case of the following:
A. For any of the following parts: carburetor, battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts), standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/ video equipment, any pixel damage on display screens, electronic transmitting/receiving devices, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck, weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages, tires, wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.
B. For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s owner’s manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, adjustments, wheel balancing, tune-ups, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, hoses, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings/shoes, and wiper blades. Filters, lubricants, coolants, fluids and refrigerants will be covered only if replacement is required in connection with a Breakdown.
There are other exclusions for things like collision, fire, theft, etc.

Link to Brochure.
Link to Sample Contract

B-17/B-25 CC 02-11-2019 05:46 PM

I bought my GMEPP thru Dennis Fitcher. I had him send me a copy of the policy showing what is covered so I could read it before I purchased. I was disappointed to find out the convertible top mechanism is not covered, but I bought it anyway.

One of my unfavorite things i had to do when I was a service writer was telling customers the the “bumper to bumper” warranty the F&I person sold them didn’t cover everything. Every so often I would take the customer to the F&I person so he/she could deal with them.

Maxie2U 02-11-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by JDSKY (Post 1598860206)
Should have gotten the TruCoat inside and out. Would have avoided the problem completely.

I call BS. You got any factual evidence Trucoat would have prevented this common dash lifting problem?

AORoads 02-11-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevettec7 (Post 1598860472)
My B-to-B warranty IS expired and this "Protector" coverage was touted as covering anything that should happen to the interior. I mean, seriously, if they said it would cover tears such as torn leather on a bolster from a grommet from your jeans, why on earth would I think they wouldn't cover leather that separates from the dash?

Tell us what The Protector plan says, in writing. Does it include things like interior door panels, headliner, dash, seats, carpet, etc.? You say above it "...was touted as covering anything that should happen to the interior." What does The Protector plan say, in writing?

Zymurgy: I have read for over four years that the newer, GMEPP plan does cover MRC or MSRC. But I was using the plan that I know, the older GMPP and comparing it to The Protector plan which I have no idea what it does, or does not cover. Thank you for clarifying to the rest of the members reading this section/thread.

stevettec7 02-11-2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1598861126)
Tell us what The Protector plan says, in writing. Does it include things like interior door panels, headliner, dash, seats, carpet, etc.? You say above it "...was touted as covering anything that should happen to the interior." What does The Protector plan say, in writing?

Zymurgy: I have read for over four years that the newer, GMEPP plan does cover MRC or MSRC. But I was using the plan that I know, the older GMPP and comparing it to The Protector plan which I have no idea what it does, or does not cover. Thank you for clarifying to the rest of the members reading this section/thread.

I will post what it DOES cover as soon as I put my hands on that document.

JDSKY 02-11-2019 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1598860964)
I call BS. You got any factual evidence Trucoat would have prevented this common dash lifting problem?

All the evidence you need is right here sir.......

z28lt1 02-11-2019 09:11 PM

From a couple minute Googling, this "Protector" is not an extended warranty like GMPP, Chevy EPP, etc.

They put some crap chemicals all over to "seal" the interior and exterior, and then sell a warranty against staining, small tears, burns, etc, that the sealing would theoretically prevent.

I didn't see the actual policy, but the marketing materials made no mention of anything like lifting. Which makes sense, because if the product is applied to the top of the leather, it can't have an impact on how the leather is adhered to whatever is underneath. FWIW, here is the marketing language:

Protects Against Damage From

Fast Food Stains

Beverage Stains

Fading & Discoloration

Ink Stains

Bleaches & Dyes

Chewing Gum

Make-up

Cracking of the Dash

Sun's UV Rays

Mold & Mildew

Crayons