CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   73, wtf (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4241164-73-wtf.html)

73n95 02-11-2019 01:54 PM

73, wtf

Values are strange. Old cars have no intrinsic value just because they are old, only because someone wants them. Relative rarity is important only if it is desirable. That is to say just because the color or color combination is a one off, does not make it worth more if its ugly. Anyway, to my point; I have a 1973 which is a one year car. 73 is the only year with front urethane and rear chrome bumpers. Its also the first year with a fixed rear window, catalytic convertors, exposed windshield wipers, more sound deadening, raised hood and a few other function and style cues. The urethane/chome bumpers are the most noticable differences and it looks quite nice. Even Z Arkus Duntov liked it. Its also the beginning of the end for horsepower. I'm curious, since it is a one year car distinguished by the bumpers and hood why is it not one of the more collectable models? They don't even bother to make the die cast models of the 1973. What gives?

The Punisher 02-11-2019 02:25 PM

Its one of my favorite models because of its uniqueness

vettebuyer6369 02-11-2019 02:35 PM

I’m not sure that a question like “why isn’t my car more collectible? is even answerable.

I owned 2 ‘73s because I liked them a lot, but they never went anywhere value-wise. On the shark series, the bright line has always been at ‘72, with all chrome bumpers.

The market is what it is.

tankertoad89 02-11-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 73n95 (Post 1598859248)
Values are strange. Old cars have no intrinsic value just because they are old, only because someone wants them. Relative rarity is important only if it is desirable. That is to say just because the color or color combination is a one off, does not make it worth more if its ugly. Anyway, to my point; I have a 1973 which is a one year car. 73 is the only year with front urethane and rear chrome bumpers. Its also the first year with a fixed rear window, catalytic convertors, exposed windshield wipers, more sound deadening, raised hood and a few other function and style cues. The urethane/chome bumpers are the most noticable differences and it looks quite nice. Even Z Arkus Duntov liked it. Its also the beginning of the end for horsepower. I'm curious, since it is a one year car distinguished by the bumpers and hood why is it not one of the more collectable models? They don't even bother to make the die cast models of the 1973. What gives?

Point of clarification: Actually, the '73 didn't come with a catalytic converter. At least, the one I have didn't (L82, M21), and I bought it new. It did, however, come with a smog pump.

Bikespace 02-11-2019 03:59 PM

I really like the looks of the 73, in part due to the uniqueness, but the whole package fits.

Don't worry about the value as measured by what someone else would pay for it, but focus on the value you get from it, be it road trip memories, wrenching, or meeting people.

Bills17n72 02-11-2019 04:41 PM

im guessing its because the front rubber bumper,73 thru 79 all look the same from the front,I bought a new one in 73 , paid $5200 for it ,now if you are talking about a 73 convertible then they bring big bucks!

71 Green 454 02-11-2019 06:16 PM

I've always liked '73's, unless you're going to sell don't worry about it. It appears that even chrome bumper BB convertibles are dropping in value, I'm a member of the 'woulda, coulda, shoulda sold it club'. Should have sold it when I had the opportunity.
Enjoy the '73!:cheers:

gbvette62 02-11-2019 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tankertoad89 (Post 1598860031)
Point of clarification: Actually, the '73 didn't come with a catalytic converter. At least, the one I have didn't (L82, M21), and I bought it new. It did, however, come with a smog pump.

:iagree: 1975 was the first year for the catalytic converter, not 73.

As far as the lack of desirability for 73's, I think part of is the fact that they are considered by many to be "rubber bumper" cars, and rubber bumper cars all seem to have a stigma associated with them. Also, I think it's a love or hate type of design, with the mix of rubber and chrome bumpers. Personally, I'm one of those people who don't care for the look of 73's, with it's mix of bumpers. I really prefer the look of the 68-72's with chrome bumpers on both ends, or the 74 up's, with rubber bumpers front and back, but then that's just my personal preference.

BLUE1972 02-11-2019 07:10 PM

It's a matter of choice as to prices. People equate Chrome bumper C3's as the corvette. C4's also suffer in value, but are going up as they are becoming race cars.

I always could not understand the low value of a 73, due to the uniqueness, but the high price of a 63 split.

I like the 73, and 80 -82 due to the better styling. But as said before it's all in the pocket book of the buyer.

jpatrick62 02-11-2019 07:26 PM

It all comes down to aesthetics and rarity as far as what people value. Take a look a the C2 cars. Beautiful to look at, but in reality an inferior sports cars as compared to the C3s. However, I should think there will not
be a day when C3s are as valued as C2s simply because most would say the C2s have "the look." I would say the same thing regarding C3s to C4 cars. Take a look at Mustangs, Camaros, Cudas, etc. They are in reality
inferior sports cars to the C3s - none had full independent suspension and 4 wheel discs, many had all drums in fact. They all have a higher center of gravity and most (except for 64-68 Mustangs) weighed more. But their prices
seem to outstrip the C3 values, and only the chrome bumper C3s can match their prices.

skyhawk50 02-11-2019 10:04 PM

You C3’ers should be in my shoes. I own 4 C4’s and my wife ones a C3. (1982 she inheirited from her dad) If you add up the values of all 5 cars, It is less than 1/2 the value of our Skyhawk 172.. Of course, they are my “mental therapy” and da** fun to drive.

lowbuck72 02-11-2019 11:38 PM

Enjoy what you like because you like it, to heck with everyone else, otherwise

everybody buys what everybody wants
a fool buys what no one wants
a wise man buys what no one wants... yet

crawfish333 02-12-2019 12:11 PM

Observation: It is funny reading the forum about values for C3s. First you have people complaining because they cannot find their dream car for $1,000.00 then they buy a car and complain because it is underpriced.

I like 73s, but none of our C3s seem to be holding values these days. With that in mind, I just drive my 72 and enjoy it. If I sell it, I will probably lose my ass, but I guess that comes with the territory. Cars are only worth what people will pay for them and that is a fluid number.

jgilevettes 02-12-2019 12:43 PM

I believe that since '70 was really the actual beginning of the end of horsepower might hurt with some buyers as well. Not that they are holding value any better than any others...... But heck, in today's terms none of these cars has horsepower. That being said I certainly get far more joy out of my '70 BB with the stock 390 HP than I do my '15 Stingray blown up to almost 1000 HP......

Auggievf 02-12-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by crawfish333 (Post 1598865169)
Observation: It is funny reading the forum about values for C3s. First you have people complaining because they cannot find their dream car for $1,000.00 then they buy a car and complain because it is underpriced.

I like 73s, but none of our C3s seem to be holding values these days. With that in mind, I just drive my 72 and enjoy it. If I sell it, I will probably lose my ass, but I guess that comes with the territory. Cars are only worth what people will pay for them and that is a fluid number.

Agreed. I would absolutely lose my ass if I sold. I could NEVER get as much for my '74 as I have put into it. But that is a moot point because I will most likely, knock on wood, never sell it. It's my 'dream' corvette that I have wanted since I was a kid. I love to drive it. Nothing is original but nothing is over the top either. Creature comforts, reliability, and sharp looking are my main goal... I would have to find someone with my exact tastes and goals to sell it...

No complaints here. I knew what I was getting when I bought it. :-D

OldCarBum 02-12-2019 02:50 PM

Lets say you have $70,000.00 invested into your C3.
The paint and body are flawless, you have big monster horsepower, an OD trans, upgraded differential, modern updated suspension and brakes, the interior is perfect and filled with all the comforts.
The value of your C3 is $70,000.00.
If you decide to sell it, for $70,000.00, someone might pay the price for it figuring everything is done, its flawless and is worth it to them because its what they want and they can't do the work themselves.
It may take you a long time to sell or it could go quickly.
If you sell it for $30,000.00 the buyer just got himself a $70,000.00 Corvette for $30,000.00.
I've seen everything from 41 Willy's to Camaro's and even Corvette trailer queens sell for over $100,000.00.
The value is what you put on it and what someone is willing to pay.

Blue73Shark 02-12-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Auggievf (Post 1598865427)
Agreed. I would absolutely lose my ass if I sold. I could NEVER get as much for my '74 as I have put into it. But that is a moot point because I will most likely, knock on wood, never sell it. It's my 'dream' corvette that I have wanted since I was a kid. I love to drive it. Nothing is original but nothing is over the top either. Creature comforts, reliability, and sharp looking are my main goal... I would have to find someone with my exact tastes and goals to sell it...

No complaints here. I knew what I was getting when I bought it. :-D

:iagree:
Change the 74 to 73 and that it is “mostly stock and original” and it pretty much describes my situation. I am all in it for the fun and will drive it until I can’t push in the clutch.
Fran

Auggievf 02-12-2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blue73Shark (Post 1598867490)
:iagree:
Change the 74 to 73 and that it is “mostly stock and original” and it pretty much describes my situation. I am all in it for the fun and will drive it until I can’t push in the clutch.
Fran

heh... my one and only minor regret... I didn't get a manual drive....

BarryB72 02-12-2019 06:56 PM

If your 1973 was the last year of c3 then we 68-73 owners might have something -but they just kept making them and making them.

Do we think the c2's would be nearly as valuable if they made them until 1977- 15 years like the c3?

What would a 1977 c2 with 180 horsepower and rubber bumpers be worth?

vairxpert 02-12-2019 07:36 PM

I always could not understand the low value of a 73, due to the uniqueness, but the high price of a 63 split.
Split window was a purposely done style. '73 was a transitional phase due to mandatory bumper regulations.
No offense, but you'll never hear non Corvette people at a car show questioning if a 63 split window was involved in a bad collision and repaired with a front/rear clip from a different year car.