CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   The truth about Ethylene Glycol (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4241230-the-truth-about-ethylene-glycol.html)

Gold Dragon 02-11-2019 05:11 PM

The truth about Ethylene Glycol

Experiencing some unusual weather here in the Northwest this winter. Seattle has had about a foot of snow and some very cold nights. The other night we had a low of 15 degrees. Been worried about the Vette just setting in such a harsh environment. I know, I know, some of you guys are in some much harsher climates than I am. Thats why I wanted to ask about Anti Freeze. I was reading an article from 89, that says pure Ethylene Glycol has a freezing point of 0 , to -5. The article went on to say that mixing pure Glycol with water will lower the freezing point. Seems counterintuitve. Any members have any thoughts or experience to share?

Nowhere Man 02-11-2019 05:26 PM

go to a auto parts store and buy a anti freeze tester and test it for you self

69L46vert 02-11-2019 05:36 PM

We get -25F here and no problems. Article might be wrong?

CanadaGrant 02-11-2019 06:22 PM

You are correct. PURE ethylene glycol freezes at +10.4F but mixing it with water actually lowers the freeze point. 60% ethylene glycol mixed with 40% water lowers the f/p to almost -50F. Just google "ethylene glycol freeze point" for the exact explanation on why this happens as it's kind of complicated.

kanvasman 02-11-2019 07:02 PM

50/50 mix has always worked for me in cars and heavy duty trucks. Never had one freeeze up in almost 40 years of north east winters. The issue becomes the tap water. Use distilled water or buy the 50/50 premixed.

Sunstroked 02-11-2019 09:47 PM

I cringed when a kid at the O reillys auto parts store told me he was running 100% glycol in his truck, and no thermostat. Who am I to tell him he is an idiot. All the information you need is right on the container. Yes, adding water is the correct procedure. How much is determined by your usual cold temps. Here in Las Vegas, I can run 30% glycol to water and be ok, but I usually run it at 50/50 and add a water wetter or equivalent.

7T1vette 02-11-2019 10:38 PM

50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water is a good formula for very cold weather. Tap water is not a good choice, as it has solids, minerals, and biotics which can cause problems in a cooling system. Distilled water is inexpensive and you can find gallon bottles of it at local grocery stores. Two gallons of distilled water and two gallons of anti-freeze gets the job done on most all C3's.

71 Vert LS1 02-11-2019 11:43 PM

Tested my hot rods a couple of weeks ago with a 50/50 mix of green anti-freeze and water. Good to at least -35. I can't confirm but I've heard that full strength ant-freeze doesn't cool as well as a 50/50 mix.

7T1vette 02-12-2019 01:36 AM

When you purchase anti-freeze, don't buy the premixed stuff. Figure it out....half of that bottle is nothing but WATER. Water is cheap--even if it's distilled water. Pay for ethylene glycol and just add your own water. Premixed anti-freeze is just a step above the ultimate rip-off: $60K pickup trucks! :eek:

Gold Dragon 02-12-2019 11:22 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Been a car guy from the beginning, and growing up in the Midwest I am no stranger to Anti Freeze. Have always bought full strength. Who wants to pay for half a jug of water that I can get out of the tap. Agree, big rip off. I guess I always assumed that water dilutes everything from orange juice to paint. Figured Ethylene glycol was no different. Now I find out that it's necessary. Not only for lowering the freeze point, but running full strength actually lowers the heat exchange rate by 35%. Gonna take NoWhere man's advice, and buy a hydrometer for Anti Freeze so I know exactly what's going on in my cooling system. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Bikespace 02-12-2019 11:31 AM

One more trick, water may be free from the tap, but you dont want the minerals in your engine. Mix with distilled (or deionized) water.

Good luck!

Big2Bird 02-12-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1 (Post 1598862956)
I can't confirm but I've heard that full strength ant-freeze doesn't cool as well as a 50/50 mix.

Correct. Water transfers heat better than EG.

dmaxx3500 02-12-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bikespace (Post 1598864883)
One more trick, water may be free from the tap, but you dont want the minerals in your engine. Mix with distilled (or deionized) water.

Good luck!

been using ''tap'' water for 45+ years

''NEVER HAD A PROBLEM''

carriljc 02-12-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 (Post 1598864916)
been using ''tap'' water for 45+ years

''NEVER HAD A PROBLEM''

:iagree: ..... but then again, it must be that some folks have really crappy water.

MelWff 02-12-2019 11:53 AM

there is tap water from a municipal source and tap water from a well. The mineral content might be higher from a well.

v2racing 02-12-2019 12:05 PM

Tap water not only can cause deposits like iron and calcium carbonate (lime) in the cooling system, but it also will transmit electricity whereas distilled water will not. Therefore tap water can contribute to electrolysis which will eat holes in aluminum radiators. Back in the old days the radiators were all brass and the cars weren't expected to last forever. Most everyone used tap water. Overheating was a common problem back in the old days too, I know, unfortunately I can say, I was there.

Mike

flyeri 02-12-2019 07:43 PM

I have for several years now used distilled water because it is so cheap. But for nearly 45 years I have used city water right out of the garden hose. When I changed the coolant in my Silverado a couple years ago I noticed that the Owners Manuals said to use a "50/50 mix of coolant and clean, drinkable water. No other additives are required." Now it was 6 years old and had 95,000 miles when I changed it. It was the same color as the new coolant I put in it. I get the part about well water and minerals. My Mother in law's well water makes me sick. But I'm not so sure that 50/50 mix with non distilled water, changed at a reasonable interval, is going to ruin the engine.

kanvasman 02-12-2019 07:52 PM

I also just used tap water for years. Then a lot of aluminum parts were showing up in the cooling systems. My understanding was that there were certain chemicals or minerals in the tap water that would react to the aluminum. I have no idea if it is true. But in the past few years I have had to change out more than a few aluminum radiators that should have had a lot more miles in them. Cheapo imported radiators or tap water? I switched just to see if there was a difference. But it was on the internet so it must be true!

HeadsU.P. 02-12-2019 08:01 PM

Well, for you non-believers about tap water not hurting a thing: Fill a plastic water bottle with your tap water. Set on shelf away from sunlight. Come back and check on it in 3-4 yrs. How does it look? Calcified? Lime deposits? Minerals & rust in the bottom? Want that in your engine block & radiator?
Now try it with a jug of distilled. It will look the same as the day you bought it.

joewill 02-12-2019 08:05 PM

it does seem counter intuitive that EG freezes before water, but a mix does not. hmmm..... the next 10 below day i have i will put my antifreeze jug outside and see what happens.
but.. does EG expand when it freezes like water does?