CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Question for those who bought new tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4241353-question-for-those-who-bought-new-tires.html)

Maxie2U 02-11-2019 10:20 PM

Question for those who bought new tires

When you replaced your worn tires did you also get new TPMS sensors?

I have read the estimated life expectancy of a TPMS sensor is between 5 to 12 years, with the average lifespan being ~7 years. But after 5 years of faithfully checking up on tires, the batteries that power the TPMS sensors have reached the limit of their useful lives.

Sounds like TPMS are worth replacing if replacing worn tires at the 5 year point or more. What did you do?

Grand Slam 02-11-2019 11:35 PM

I had my '99 C7 for 18 years and never replaced the TPMS. Some occasionally were intermittent but all were working when I sold the car. I don't know if it matters that it was a daily driver.

2/13: As others have said, some tire shops replaced the seals during tire changes.

z06inVB 02-11-2019 11:38 PM

I bought new ones. I think the set were around 150 or so. I did keep my “ old “ set that were 3 years old.

JerriVette 02-11-2019 11:39 PM

No do not replace the tpms...

they will last for many many additional years and if you ever need to replace one...its not a big deal. I have 11 years on my tpms and six or seven sets of tires.

save your money and only spend it when its appropriate. I do not in my experience believe changing tpms every time you buy new tires is a wise choice. Ive been driving corvettes with tpms as daily drivers (3 new corvettes with tpms) for literally 20 years and over 200k miles.

hope this insight is helpful.

jmo

4thC4at60 02-12-2019 12:26 AM

On third set of replacement tires... did not replace TPMS..... have 84K miles on C7 -- same with my C6, did not replace sensors on it and went through four sets of tires.... 128K miles

SRQStingray 02-12-2019 06:42 AM

No, it’s a waste of money.

ImpliedConsent 02-12-2019 09:54 AM

Also bought new tires on my 2016 and did not replace the TPMS. I wouldn't worry, if one fails, you'll be notified - then make a decision to replace all of them or just one.

Italianfox 02-12-2019 10:08 AM

I had my C6 for 10 years and 60K miles and never changed them. I had a Silverado for 8 years and 150K and never changed them. But one tire shop told me that they routinely charge customers for new TPMs when getting new tires because the installers usually break them taking the tires off the rims. I use a different tire shop now.

fsvoboda 02-12-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Italianfox (Post 1598864275)
I had my C6 for 10 years and 60K miles and never changed them. I had a Silverado for 8 years and 150K and never changed them. But one tire shop told me that they routinely charge customers for new TPMs when getting new tires because the installers usually break them taking the tires off the rims. I use a different tire shop now.

Boo. That's not good.

Generally tire shops will charge a nominal fee for a "tpms service kit" that includes valve core, valve nut, seal, seal washer, and valve cap. I don't think I know anyone who ever has had the actual tpms module go bad.

SoFloVette 02-12-2019 10:33 AM

What are they asking for tires for the C7? I remember paying $400.00 each for runflats on my Mercedes. $1,600.00 for tires :ack:

Vetteman Jack 02-12-2019 11:14 PM

Unless your current TPS are giving you a problem, save the money and just keep what you have.

4thC4at60 02-12-2019 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by fsvoboda (Post 1598864403)
Boo. That's not good.

Generally tire shops will charge a nominal fee for a "tpms service kit" that includes valve core, valve nut, seal, seal washer, and valve cap. I don't think I know anyone who ever has had the actual tpms module go bad.

Frequent occurrence according to my tire guys for the past 30 years......

RACE U 02-12-2019 11:55 PM

If you have a great tire mounting guy. Dont change them until absolutely necessary. I am not confident in the local tire mounting guys here on Louisville (no one of them have touchless tire mounting machine. I take my tires mounted in CIncinnati, and change the rpms sensors every 5' to 7 years.

Gearhead Jim 02-13-2019 01:04 AM

A minor point- Discount Tires sells and installs non-OEM sensors, they work well but the nut is a different size from GM. Confuses the tech at the dealer.

owc6 02-13-2019 01:21 AM

Generally, the sensors last anywhere from 5 to ten years, so most of you won't need to deal with this for a bit. Heck, my '14 is one of the oldest and doing fine.

Don't replace them till they need to be. That said, my '05 has four bad sensors, just now rearing their ugly little heads, that will be replaced at the next tire change. I have an '08 with the original sensors that are behaving.

Knock wood.

pkincy 02-13-2019 01:25 AM

Depends on mileage. The sensor is not transmitting unless the wheel is turning so no wear on the battery in the sensor. If you have 100,000 miles on the car, by all means replace the sensors. For most Corvette Owners they will last longer than we will own the car.

owc6 02-13-2019 01:29 AM

Not sure milage is more important than time.

Otherwise, I would be on my fourth or fifth set. lol

TyBoo 02-13-2019 01:53 AM

I saw the tire shop guy in Costco today and asked him if they had replaced mine last week. He said they use a service kit (as fsvoboda mentioned) and replaced the sealing components. He said the batteries in the TPMS sensors usually last 10 years and suggests I have the sensors replaced on the second tire swap. Costco charged me $1 per tire for the kits.

I do know that the original sensors in a 2009 Toyota that I gave to a granddaughter were still working a month ago when she had new tires put on at Costco. I imagine they replaced the sensors for her, but I don't know for sure.

If I was concerned about it, as is the OP, I would certainly have the sensors replaced at the next tire swap just for peace of mind.

Gearhead Jim 02-13-2019 09:59 PM

Another point of view-

In addition to being annoying, on the C6 a bad sensor would restrict you from engaging Comp Mode in the TC/AH. I suspect that something similar happens in the C7, and it may make the nannies more intrusive. We use the car for long road trips out in the middle of nowhere, where getting anything serviced would be a task. And on a long fast or twisty road trip, I'd like the TPMS and everything else to be working well.

So if I expect that a new set of tires will still be there when the sensors reach 7 yrs/70k miles, I have them replaced at the tire change. That typically means I get new sensors at about 5 yrs/50k miles.

Actually, I have two sets of wheels/tires/sensors (PSS and AS3+) that get swapped out each Fall and Spring, about 10k miles per year on each set. But the concept remains the same. For me, the extra cost is worth better likelihood of escaping TPMS problems in the wild.

Other ways of doing it make sense in other conditions.

Avanti 02-13-2019 10:13 PM

I cannot speak for those on my C7, but the ones on my C5 are still working 17 years later, though one intermittently. All may fail tomorrow, but I could hardly complain. :lol: