CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Magnetic Ride Control software upgrade (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4241391-magnetic-ride-control-software-upgrade.html)

JJB82 02-12-2019 03:34 AM

Magnetic Ride Control software upgrade

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...31c27891c.jpeg
I’m getting the magnetic ride control upgraded in my 2014 z51 at the dealership in April. From what I understand it’s just a software upgrade. They said it would cost $270. I think that’s a fair price. I heard some people paid close to $400. I believe it makes the touring mode more comfortable and the sport mode more accurate with the handling. Can anyone chime in and let me know what can I expect from this upgrade?

Deepdiver 02-12-2019 11:48 AM

lots of threads on this. do a search. the price of the upgrade is 350.00, so it looks like you're getting a nice discount.

REPOED C7 02-12-2019 12:04 PM

The new Sport mode takes bumps like your current Touring mode, and the new Touring mode is as smooth as a luxury sedan. The upgrade is legit.

Bubbletop409 02-12-2019 01:27 PM

Getting mine done at 1 PM today for the listed price at Abel in Rio Vista, this after my local rip off stealership quoted me $ 690.00.

JMII 02-12-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by REPOED C7 (Post 1598865122)
The new Sport mode takes bumps like your current Touring mode, and the new Touring mode is as smooth as a luxury sedan. The upgrade is legit.

I love how the current Sport mode feels so I am not going to update mine. However I am glad to hear that Touring mode is improved because I wouldn't complain if it was softer.

Bill Dearborn 02-12-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JJB82 (Post 1598863231)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...31c27891c.jpeg
I’m getting the magnetic ride control upgraded in my 2014 z51 at the dealership in April. From what I understand it’s just a software upgrade. They said it would cost $270. I think that’s a fair price. I heard some people paid close to $400. I believe it makes the touring mode more comfortable and the sport mode more accurate with the handling. Can anyone chime in and let me know what can I expect from this upgrade?

I had the upgrade installed as soon as it was available for my 15 Z06. In Tour Mode it takes the harshness out of sharp bumps. It doesn't lower the overall stiffness but the initial impact is softened so the occupants don't feel the shock as much. I don't know about any changes in Sport since I have only used it once in a while as I find it uninteresting. I use Tour on the street and Track Submodes when on track. I can't say the on track feel is all that much different but my lap times did drop some. I find it Interesting they are not charging you the $350 price that GM says the upgrade costs. That is what most of us have paid although some dealerships tried to overcharge and maybe were successful over charging for it. The upgrade gives them a labor code to charge the installation labor which means labor should be charged directly to GM and not the Customer. Wonder if they are losing a few bucks selling it to you for $270???

Bill

Bill

Bubbletop409 02-12-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409 (Post 1598865720)
Getting mine done at 1 PM today for the listed price at Abel in Rio Vista, this after my local rip off stealership quoted me $ 690.00.

Just returned from having my MRC update done at a well known and reputable dealer, glad I did, experienced a thrilling ride through some twists and turns on the way home. From previous posts I understand for some unknown reason it takes approximately 24 hours for the computer to fully digest and control the suspension according to the new program.

RichardLimoges 03-15-2019 12:12 PM

Magnetic Ride Control software upgrade

Is this upgrade available in Canada?

Maxpowers 03-15-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RichardLimoges (Post 1599049813)
Is this upgrade available in Canada?

Yes - search in the Canada Regional Forum. There is a thread on it.

Mgdr2525 03-16-2019 12:16 PM

Anyone know whether a C7 GS delivered Sept 2018 needs that upgrade? Going in for the A8 "fix" Tuesday.

GrandSport 2017 03-16-2019 01:25 PM

I had mine done at Judd Kuhn Chevy in Little River SC.
I asked them about the upgrade, they said they had never heard of it, I gave them the bulletin number and they said they would have to get back to me on it.
They said it would be $350 plus labor of $115. Out the door was $507 with tax etc. I explained to them that it says right on it that its $350 and theirs no additional cost to the customer.
I was told that I was wrong and that's not true. I asked the advisor if she had read the bulletin but didn't get a direct answer. I didn't push it, it was my first visit to this dealer sense we moved here and they are 2 miles from our house and I'd like to be on good terms with them for future service etc.

It was originally there having one bank of the AFM lifters replaced under warranty.
When I went to pick up the car had a lot of bird shit all over it. We have pelicans here and they shit large amounts, it was nasty.
She said she had it washed for me, I said thanks but its got bird shit all over it. She said yea I saw that, and asked if I wanted to have it washed again. I said no ill do it when i get it home.
If she knew that there was bird shit all over it why didn't she have it washed again before i got there to pick it up. I wasn't impressed with that at all.
On the flip side they did get the car right in for me to start the lifter repair. So that was nice. But it did take well over a week for them to finish it, they were held up on parts. We were on vacation that week so it really didn't matter to me.
There is a slight oil smell coming from the car still that you only smell from inside the car when stopped on occasion. Ive given it 3 weeks to "burn off" knowing that they would tell me that it takes time to burn off, which is true, but its still there slightly.
I'm going to put it up on a lift and see what causing it. So the verdict is still out on that.

I worked at 2 Chevy dealers as a tech for many years in the 80's and 90's and my wife was a service writer for 8 years at a Chevy dealer and a service manager for 12 years at a Toyota dealer before she became general manager for 14 years at the same Toyota dealer.
So I wasn't impressed with our first service experience at Judd Kuhn Chevrolet. It wasn't bad but just a little disappointing being over charged for the software update even thou I pointed it out to them about the actual cost, and then the bird shit all over the car.
My wife was more understanding, and said they can charge what ever they want. And that's true, and I was told up front that there would be a $115 charge to install the software. So I could have said no.

So id have to give them a 7 out of 10 on my first service experience there.

jayhawk129 03-30-2019 02:49 AM

I went into my local dealer and asked about this and they had never heard of it. Luckily I was able to provide them the bulletin number. Took them a while to figure it all out, but $280 and a couple hours later I had my upgrade done. Let it sit overnight, and really noticed a difference when I took her out for a spin. Money well spent.

Maxpowers 03-30-2019 11:54 AM

I want to do this upgrade but I'm on the fence. I have a '16 Z51. I really like the MSRC as it is. Sport is perfect for regular driving. Tour works on long trips or when my wife is in the car. Track is perfect for me on the track or auto-x. Don't fix what ain't broke? I know this is all subjective.

BrunoTheMellow 03-30-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpowers (Post 1599136943)
I want to do this upgrade but I'm on the fence. I have a '16 Z51. I really like the MSRC as it is. Sport is perfect for regular driving. Tour works on long trips or when my wife is in the car. Track is perfect for me on the track or auto-x. Don't fix what ain't broke? I know this is all subjective.

Z51 doesn't get a track update. Only reason I would do it on the z51 is for the track.

Kracka 03-31-2019 10:44 PM

Excellent upgrade for my 2014 Z51! There's nothing I dislike about it, made a good suspension system even better. I've put about 10k miles on my car since the upgrade (performed around 33k, now at 43k miles).