CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette Museum raffles? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4241425-corvette-museum-raffles.html)

c7neb 02-12-2019 09:27 AM

Corvette Museum raffles?

I went to the NCM website this morning to see what they are raffling in the near future. Apparently, something has really changed. I didn't see any Corvettes listed and it states that you must be physically in Kentucky in order to buy a ticket. Do anyone know what happened to their raffle status?

CandyRed77 02-12-2019 10:20 AM

Oh wow, something must have changed in the KY state or federal law for them to do that... :eek: Hope they can allow others outside of KY to buy tickets again soon, as their raffles are one of the big contributors to funding the museum...

https://raffle.corvettemuseum.org/
https://raffle.corvettemuseum.org/locationReq.cfm

corvettemuseum 02-12-2019 10:28 AM

The National Corvette Museum is licensed by the Kentucky Department of Charitable Gaming under license number ORG0000854.

At this time, we offer purchasers located in Kentucky the ability to purchase raffle tickets on their personal computers, mobile devices and on-site at the National Corvette Museum and NCM Motorsports Park.

To purchase a raffle ticket, you must be at least 18 years of age and be physically located in Kentucky at the time of purchase. You do not have to be a resident of Kentucky to participate.

We are working to add the ability to sell tickets in other states. Please subscribe to NCM eNews for any future news or updates from the Museum.

Myfourth1 02-12-2019 10:54 AM

Following....

Greg00Coupe 02-12-2019 01:24 PM

That’s bad news. I bought a number of tickets in the past and was just going to start again.

Bummer

p4snow 02-12-2019 02:33 PM

That should put a damper on future raffles ability to sell out.

naylor99 02-12-2019 02:45 PM

Ah, I just posted a duplicate thread on this topic. Sad to see this. Must be some crazy new law. Hope they can get this addressed quickly. I always enjoy buying those every now and then, knowing that the proceeds supported the museum.

Thompyt 02-12-2019 03:52 PM

Sounds like someone inKY with influence wants their raffle vette sooner than later......

z28lt1 02-12-2019 03:55 PM

Yes, this totally sucks for them (and me). While I had no expectations of winning, it was a fun way of making a donation to the museum and I participated in several raffles a year.

oemtech 02-12-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by corvettemuseum (Post 1598864407)
The National Corvette Museum is licensed by the Kentucky Department of Charitable Gaming under license number ORG0000854.

At this time, we offer purchasers located in Kentucky the ability to purchase raffle tickets on their personal computers, mobile devices and on-site at the National Corvette Museum and NCM Motorsports Park.

To purchase a raffle ticket, you must be at least 18 years of age and be physically located in Kentucky at the time of purchase. You do not have to be a resident of Kentucky to participate.

We are working to add the ability to sell tickets in other states. Please subscribe to NCM eNews for any future news or updates from the Museum.

What date was this new regulation enacted?

I think KY just killed your golden goose!

Don Wallace 02-12-2019 04:31 PM

https://www.sprintcarhof.com/

The National Sprint Car Hall of Fame which is located in Knoxville Iowa has a raffle of a 2019 Z06 if anyone is interested. Winner not awarded until August.

Vetteman Jack 02-12-2019 04:33 PM

Sad news for a lot of people. Hope this can be worked out soon where tickets can be purchased by computer regardless of where you are at.

oemtech 02-12-2019 05:40 PM

Just got a reply back from my contact at the NCM..

The reg went into effect after the Feb 7th raffle.

naylor99 02-12-2019 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by oemtech (Post 1598867448)
Just got a reply back from my contact at the NCM..

The reg went into effect after the Feb 7th raffle.

Someone has it in for the museum in KY. Not sure I understand why they would enact such a law.

firemon 02-12-2019 06:19 PM

Bummer , I always liked to buy these tickets

Bill Dearborn 02-12-2019 06:20 PM

Is it a new regulation or enforcement of a much older regulation. Many raffles violate the letter of the law of many state anti gambling laws. Usually they get away with holding the raffle as long as the raffle is interpreted by authorities as benefiting a non profit organization, is fair, and the winner pays any applicable state taxes. Ran into this about 30 years ago when my Corvette Club (located in Up State NY) and we had to address the legal situation and we asked the local DA his interpretation of our raffle and whether or not we would get busted.

Bill

KnightDriveTV 02-12-2019 07:00 PM

Aw man...that's terrible. I've bought quite a number of raffle tickets in the past...guess that ship has sailed. I suppose you could use a VPN with a Kentucky IP though. It says you don't have to be a resident, but can buy online if physically located in KY. The only verifiable indicator, through an online purchase, that you're in KY is the IP. Have to locate a browser VPN that can allow you to select states.

trumanjd1 02-12-2019 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by naylor99 (Post 1598867525)
Someone has it in for the museum in KY. Not sure I understand why they would enact such a law.

When Kentucky finds a way to TAX the winner with proceeds going to Kentucky govt coffers...it will again be allowed...it's all about the $$...Just like here in New York state!

KenHorse 02-12-2019 07:46 PM

Some KY legislator must have bought tickets :D

Bajaholic 02-12-2019 07:48 PM

Possible loophole:

Call the museum and purchase over the phone. Technically you are purchasing the ticket in KY. The internet can be considered "betting/gambling", I am guessing that is what the law was actually addressing, but had backlash to the Museum.

Buy calling in and actually talking to a rep, it would be hard to argue you were not making the purchase in KY.