CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Blower pulley swap (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4241502-blower-pulley-swap.html)

ss2z06 02-12-2019 12:52 PM

Blower pulley swap

I'm looking at swapping the blower pulley on my zr1 and looked up the design of the blower to see if it is like the ls9/lsa. I see that it appears to be easier. (appears) It looks like I can unbolt the hub (4 bolts) and remove the hub/snout/pulley assembly. At that point I can just use my press to remove and install the new pulley. I realize appearances can be deceiving and am looking for some first hand experience. Is this as straight forward as it appears? I have access to gm dealerworld and that is where I looked up to see how it is all assembled. As a somewhat related side note is anyone familiar with which pulley weapon x installs in their 900 kit? I want to order the proper one but see different sizes (7%, 15%). I called but couldn't get a straight answer on it.

C7/Z06 Man 02-12-2019 02:13 PM

$0.02

* My understanding is that at this point in time the stock computer cannot be reprogrammed/tuned.

* However the other C7 Corvettes from the factory (Stingray/Z06) are programed to add or subtract fuel/timing depending on conditions; adding up to or minus approx. 25% fuel as necessary to keep things in spec/safe which also entails the ECM adding or removing timing.

* From what I have read on the Z06 forum at least one person has gotten away with adding a 9% pulley on a stock tune Z06 with some bolt-ons. His results were a power increase and knock levels unchanged from the stock tune/setup. SO, "if" I were to change pulleys it would be the 7% (not the 15 which requires a tune on the Z06) and log/check that everything is OK as I gradually increased engine output till I was sure going from Zero to Hero on the throttle was not a problem.

PS: I would also consider adding a little 'Boostane' octane booster to the gas, maybe enough to increase the octane up to 95/96 or 'so' for a little extra margin or punch.

ss2z06 02-12-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man (Post 1598866059)
* My understanding is that at this point in time the stock computer cannot be reprogrammed/tuned.

* However the other C7 Corvettes from the factory (Stingray/Z06) are programed to added or subtract fuel/timing depending on conditions; adding up to or minus approx. 25% fuel as necessary to keep things in spec/safe which also entails the ECM adding or removing timing.

* From what I have read on the Z06 forum at least one person has gotten away with adding a 9% pulley on a stock tune Z06 with some bolt-ons. His results were a power increase and knock levels unchanged from the stock tune. SO, "if" I were to change pulleys it would be the 7% (not the 15 which requires a tune on the Z06) and log/check that everything is OK as I gradually increased engine output till I was sure going from Zero to Hero on the throttle was not a problem.

PS: I would also consider adding a little 'Boostane' octane booster to the gas, maybe enough to increase the octane up to 95/96 or 'so' for a little extra margin or punch.

thank you. That’s definitely good information. I was planning to run a higher octane fuel to be safe. I know a few people here are running with pulleys (untuned since no option is available) and the car is able to handle it. Before diving in I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something on the labor portion of it. I’m hoping it’s as straight forward as it appears.