CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous-173/)
-   -   LT1 vs LT4 supercharger kits question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous/4241886-lt1-vs-lt4-supercharger-kits-question.html)

kornbal07 02-13-2019 03:10 PM

LT1 vs LT4 supercharger kits question

Im sure this has been asked before but....

I have a 2014 C7 and know someone selling the procharger F1X kit off of their c7 z06. Im wondering what the exact differences are in the kits sold for the LT1 vs the kits sold for the LT4. The price on his used kit is fairly attractive but i dont want to deal with having to buy a bunch of additional stuff considering i need it to be installed on a LT1 engine. Anyone know what all is different and what all i would need to make it work?

C5-VERT 02-16-2019 05:07 PM

I can tell you unless you have done some work on your bottom end (forged rods, pistons, lowered compression), you aren't going to want an F1X on your LT1 engine. It's WAY too big for the power level your engine can maintain reliably (600 wheel or so). The F1X is designed for 1200+ wheel horsepower. I have an F1A-94 (updated version and larger than the F1A) and it's rated for up to 1200 wheel horse. Most guys in the LT1 platform seem to be going with A&A over ProCharger not exactly sure why others can chime in. Do you have the Z51 package (are you wet or dry sump)? That makes a difference with the mounting and pulley setup. Keep in mind you will also need fuel upgrades to stay safe.

hogurt 02-16-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by C5-VERT (Post 1598891242)
I can tell you unless you have done some work on your bottom end (forged rods, pistons, lowered compression), you aren't going to want an F1X on your LT1 engine. It's WAY too big for the power level your engine can maintain reliably (600 wheel or so). The F1X is designed for 1200+ wheel horsepower. I have an F1A-94 (updated version and larger than the F1A) and it's rated for up to 1200 wheel horse. Most guys in the LT1 platform seem to be going with A&A over ProCharger not exactly sure why others can chime in. Do you have the Z51 package (are you wet or dry sump)? That makes a difference with the mounting and pulley setup. Keep in mind you will also need fuel upgrades to stay safe.

Great advice. Unless you are going forged and adding a massive converter to make your car a drag car, the F1 will not make sense.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. The F1 is going to be a dog down low and have a crazy high peak power as described going in the 1200whp range.

For a blower, I would advise two things:
1. Figure out what you are looking for. Street fun, build to be streetable but also a strong quarter mile performer, road course fun...or build to be a track car.
2. Figure out who you are going to use for the tuner. Talk to the tuner and figure out the best path to match your goals.

While many tuners use different blower setups, they tend to have their areas of expertise. . .but each type of blower has advantages in different situations.

knoxville 02-17-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by C5-VERT (Post 1598891242)

for newer models which have a trans cooler from the factory. Do the ProCharger kits retain, remove or replace the factory trans cooler?

C5-VERT 02-19-2019 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by knoxville (Post 1598894269)
for newer models which have a trans cooler from the factory. Do the ProCharger kits retain, remove or replace the factory trans cooler?

Retain it with custom brackets. I have a 2017 Z06 with upgraded heat exhanger for the M7 models. Same as A8 trans cooler location. They provide all hardware it mounts right up no problem.

C5-VERT 02-19-2019 09:59 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3ea51cce9.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f21dec455.jpeg

Ghostnotes 02-20-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by hogurt (Post 1598891657)
Great advice. Unless you are going forged and adding a massive converter to make your car a drag car, the F1 will not make sense.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. The F1 is going to be a dog down low and have a crazy high peak power as described going in the 1200whp range.

For a blower, I would advise two things:
1. Figure out what you are looking for. Street fun, build to be streetable but also a strong quarter mile performer, road course fun...or build to be a track car.
2. Figure out who you are going to use for the tuner. Talk to the tuner and figure out the best path to match your goals.

While many tuners use different blower setups, they tend to have their areas of expertise. . .but each type of blower has advantages in different situations.

I'm running a stock bore/stroke with a YSi-V7 and that might be the case for me, just does not seem to have much down low.....
So my idea is to either change upper and or lower to spin it faster sooner and also regulate the boost. Right now I have a stock dia lower and 3.8 upper. I was told I should be in the 700 range but it just does not feel like it. This is my first centrifugal and am getting used to the characteristics.

hogurt 03-05-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes (Post 1598914615)
I'm running a stock bore/stroke with a YSi-V7 and that might be the case for me, just does not seem to have much down low.....
So my idea is to either change upper and or lower to spin it faster sooner and also regulate the boost. Right now I have a stock dia lower and 3.8 upper. I was told I should be in the 700 range but it just does not feel like it. This is my first centrifugal and am getting used to the characteristics.

for sure. If you have an automatic, I would simply get a converter that gets you into the boost sooner...