CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   C8 Patent For Active Aero Dynamic Side Body Panel System? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4242409-c8-patent-for-active-aero-dynamic-side-body-panel-system.html)

skank 02-15-2019 08:07 AM

C8 Patent For Active Aero Dynamic Side Body Panel System?

Thanks to the Mid Engine Corvette Forum we have some logical info on the C8 generation.The more I read this patent publication, the more it appears to be applicable to only the front engined Corvette. Whether this is for a C8 ZORA or the next C8 FE, that is the question. The system utilizes the steering system with sensors to calibrate the position of the side front vents behind the front wheel wells being key to this function. The C7 ZR1 has stationary side coves that project far beyond the body surface to create a different air pressure on the side of the car at higher speeds. Tadge Juechter has discussed this at length on the CF Ask Tadge forum section on a Aero question I asked. It makes sense to coordinate the air pressure on the side of the car with the steering wheel position progressively adjusting the side flaps. The only side vents on the C8 ZORA appear to be the side coves at the rear of the doors. Trying to tie that into the steering system seems illogical. The front fenders of the C8 ZORA do not have side cove vents behind the front wheel wells to extract hot air out of the wheel well cavity. Unless these ZORA mule front fenders show otherwise It appears this tech is for a C8 front engine configuration.

skank 02-15-2019 08:29 AM

This system helps the car turn at high speed. It creates high air pressure on one side of the car with low air pressure on the other side helping the car turn during a high speed turn.

savage99ss 02-15-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598882205)
This system helps the car turn at high speed. It creates high air pressure on one side of the car with low air pressure on the other side helping the car turn during a high speed turn.

It is going to make the awd version a beast.

skank 02-15-2019 09:12 AM

Though Pagani utilizes these flaps for corner downforce and front to rear downforce differentials, this new side blade system for the Corvette is very innovative. See video below for the Pagani.

Shaka 02-15-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598882095)
Thanks to the Mid Engine Corvette Forum we have some logical info on the C8 generation.The more I read this patent publication, the more it appears to be applicable to only the front engined Corvette. Whether this is for a C8 ZORA or the next C8 FE, that is the question. The system utilizes the steering system with sensors to calibrate the position of the side front vents behind the front wheel wells being key to this function. The C7 ZR1 has stationary side coves that project far beyond the body surface to create a different air pressure on the side of the car at higher speeds. Tadge Juechter has discussed this at length on the CF Ask Tadge forum section on a Aero question I asked. It makes sense to coordinate the air pressure on the side of the car with the steering wheel position progressively adjusting the side flaps. The only side vents on the C8 ZORA appear to be the side coves at the rear of the doors. Trying to tie that into the steering system seems illogical. The front fenders of the C8 ZORA do not have side cove vents behind the front wheel wells to extract hot air out of the wheel well cavity. Unless these ZORA mule front fenders show otherwise It appears this tech is for a C8 front engine configuration.

Do you have pictures or a link? I will furnish my educated opinion.

skank 02-15-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaka (Post 1598882501)
Do you have pictures or a link? I will furnish my educated opinion.

Good morning Shaka. I tried to find the patent on USPTO but couldn't locate it though. Check out MECF !

ltomn 02-15-2019 09:35 AM

This is a completely logical assessment to the patent. Unless GM is planning an alternate location for a similar effect, it does not appear to be intended for the mid engine and, as such, further suggests that a revised FE is on the way!

Shaka 02-15-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598882526)
Good morning Shaka. I tried to find the patent on USPTO but couldn't locate it though. Check out MECF !

The Daytona 500 is on Sunday. It is a study in airflow. McReyonlds, Gordon, Waltrip and Jnr. give excellent commentary on the technical aspects of the cars. Each track is aero set up specific specific.

I haven't read the patents.

https://www.motor1.com/news/262241/c...namics-patent/

skank 02-15-2019 11:06 AM

The Patent Publication is over on MECF. Patent was filed on August 8, 2017; note yesterday's Feb. 14th patent publication date.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...y-panel-system

smithers 02-15-2019 11:31 AM

I didn’t spend hours studying it. But it looks more like flaps on the side of the car and not necessarily related to the side vents on the FE cars. Idea seems to simply use flaps to create drag on one side of the car to make it pull to that side a little more when steering at speed. This wouldn’t be exclusive to the FE car.

I could be wrong. Patent jibberish is pretty much a foreign language.

Corvette_Nut 02-15-2019 11:51 AM

Great information! It's great to see the Corvette Engineering Team utilizing and employing the latest technology and techniques. Similarly, Lamborghini uses Aero Vectoring to help keep those Raging Bulls stuck to the streets..... :D

*** Courtesy Of Lamborghini ***

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

skank 02-15-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by smithers (Post 1598883398)
I didn’t spend hours studying it. But it looks more like flaps on the side of the car and not necessarily related to the side vents on the FE cars. Idea seems to simply use flaps to create drag on one side of the car to make it pull to that side a little more when steering at speed. This wouldn’t be exclusive to the FE car.

I could be wrong. Patent jibberish is pretty much a foreign language.

I did read the whole Patent Pulication and this application is clearly directed at the aero blades that would be integrated on the side of the car. My observation of this is where would the blades be located on the ME? Looking at the front fender of the ME it doesn't appear there is enough room behind the front wheel well where the blades would logically be located. Hence the blades make more sense on the C8 FE.

smithers 02-15-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598883644)
I did read the whole Patent Pulication and this application is clearly directed at the aero blades that would be integrated on the side of the car. My observation of this is where would the blades be located on the ME? Looking at the front fender of the ME it doesn't appear there is enough room behind the front wheel well where the blades would logically be located. Hence the blades make more sense on the C8 FE.

The blades or flaps can be pretty much anywhere on the side of the car. There could be an active trim panel on the leading edge of the MEs side scoop that changes shape to create drag and have the same effect on the cars turning. That could also explain why they are going to such lengths to hide the shape of the side scoop.

Who knows though. There is no obvious sign of this in the ME test car, and not a single sighting of any FE car being tested. It could be for the C8r as it has vents there.

skank 02-15-2019 12:30 PM

It actually makes the most sense to have them as far forward as possible. Not at the center of the car.

Corvette_Nut 02-15-2019 12:41 PM

The camouflage wrap is doing its job. You can't decipher anything....:cry

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...060118a810.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bf228f3b96.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b9a9bef16e.jpg

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

skank 02-15-2019 02:44 PM

It also has the ability to have both sides function to act as a air brake. Very clever!

AmmoVet 02-15-2019 03:29 PM

In that 2nd picture above note the loose edge of the scoop. Perhaps this is part of the active aero to create turbulence for the intake?

MitchAlsup 02-15-2019 05:29 PM

What happens when the car is oversteering and the driver corrects, does he lose the downforce because the steering wheel is not pointed towards the apex?

skank 02-15-2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup (Post 1598885566)
What happens when the car is oversteering and the driver corrects, does he lose the downforce because the steering wheel is not pointed towards the apex?

I would think these side blades most likely do not create downforce. Reading the publication, it explains low air pressure aero on one side of the car and high air pressure on the other side to assist in high speed turning. Both sides can swing out also, in effect creating an air brake.

firstvettesoon 02-15-2019 07:58 PM

Didn’t the Cien side scoops work the way described ?