CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2018 C7 with Magnetic Ride Control (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4242768-2018-c7-with-magnetic-ride-control.html)

tzoid9 02-16-2019 10:30 AM

2018 C7 with Magnetic Ride Control

This is my first time posting on this Forum, I usually post any comments or questions on the Z06 Forum. So far, I've not gotten a response to my question and I thought maybe someone with a 2018 Stingray with MRC could help me out. Here's a copy of my question and thanks in advance if someone has the info I'm looking for!

"We've had several postings regarding the Magnetic Ride Control update that essentially loads the updated and improved 2019 model MRC software into the earlier model year C7 Z06's. The comments from GM Engineering say there already are some MRC improvements in the 2018 model, but less extensive then the other previous C7 years. If any of the Forum members have a 2018, non Z07 option, Z06 and have had the update, I'm wondering if they can give us their feedback as to how much of a difference they see and in their opinion, is the update worth it. Thanks!"

Big Lebowski 02-16-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tzoid9 (Post 1598889116)
This is my first time posting on this Forum, I usually post any comments or questions on the Z06 Forum. So far, I've not gotten a response to my question and I thought maybe someone with a 2018 Stingray with MRC could help me out. Here's a copy of my question and thanks in advance if someone has the info I'm looking for!

"We've had several postings regarding the Magnetic Ride Control update that essentially loads the updated and improved 2019 model MRC software into the earlier model year C7 Z06's. The comments from GM Engineering say there already are some MRC improvements in the 2018 model, but less extensive then the other previous C7 years. If any of the Forum members have a 2018, non Z07 option, Z06 and have had the update, I'm wondering if they can give us their feedback as to how much of a difference they see and in their opinion, is the update worth it. Thanks!"

I have a 2017 non Z07 M7 Z06, with the MRC update. I do think the update is noticeable, and the improvements are worth it but I expect that is relative to ones personal perspective. For me it is worth it for the $350 price tag, but that’s not to say the improvements are mind blowing or “night and day”. Rather I’d describe them as subtle and incremental. Again, for only $350 why not?

Sellout 02-16-2019 01:54 PM

My 2018 Grand Sport had a pretty noticeable improvement in ride quality. It didn't feel subtle at all to me. It made sport mode feel the way touring mode felt before the upgrade.

tzoid9 02-16-2019 03:50 PM

Sellout, thank you, that tells me exactly what I wanted to know!
Big L., the 2017 models essentially have most of the previous soft ware for the MRC and GM indicates the most dramatic changes will be noticed in the 2017 and earlier models. There were some soft ware updates from the new "recipe" supposedly made in the 2018 models and it was said that there still are improvements, just not so noticeable as in prior models. This new "recipe" has all the good stuff in it just like the 2019 MRC system.

Deepdiver 02-18-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sellout (Post 1598890280)
It made sport mode feel the way touring mode felt before the upgrade.

I'm curious, why would you want your sport mode to feel like touring mode? If you like touring mode, why not just leave it in touring and keep sport mode where its at for spirited driving days?

Skid Row Joe 02-19-2019 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Deepdiver (Post 1598902854)
I'm curious, why would you want your sport mode to feel like touring mode? If you like touring mode, why not just leave it in touring and keep sport mode where its at for spirited driving days?

Because Touring mode was too rough a ride before the software flash/upgrade..

Bubbletop409 02-19-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Deepdiver (Post 1598902854)

The seat of the pants ride is like in tour while the cars suspension is giving the handling ability of the sport mode, best of both worlds in his view. I just had the MRC upgrade done last week, I was aware of the difference immediately, and while testing my new ride on the way home I found my self way above the posted speed limit while enjoying the improved ride.

VETTE-NV 02-19-2019 02:08 AM

My experience with it was a fiasco.....long story. IMHO, spend another $900 and buy the DSC controller. The difference truly is night and day. The GM upgrade was not worth the $350.00.

19th_hole 02-19-2019 08:09 AM

"My experience with it was a fiasco.....long story. IMHO, spend another $900 and buy the DSC controller. The difference truly is night and day. The GM upgrade was not worth the $350.00."

What year and model do you have?

Was the fiasco with the Dealership?

If so, did the car eventually get the GM upgrade?

Sellout 02-19-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1598905073)
Because Touring mode was too rough a ride before the software flash/upgrade..

Bingo. The car does feel more capable in every mode, but the benefit that matters most of the time when you're driving around is that the ride is more comfortable.

VETTE-NV 02-19-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 19th_hole (Post 1598905720)
"My experience with it was a fiasco.....long story. IMHO, spend another $900 and buy the DSC controller. The difference truly is night and day. The GM upgrade was not worth the $350.00."

What year and model do you have?

Was the fiasco with the Dealership?

If so, did the car eventually get the GM upgrade?

'17 GS. Long story short: They installed the Z06 upgrade on my GS. It felt better. Then they replaced it with the correct GS upgrade after there was a recall for incorrect programming. The ride sucked after that. I asked them to restore the Z06 programming. Dealer said they couldn't do that without an OK from GM. GM said no. I opened a case through Mary Barra's office with GM. They said "fuck you." The dealership finally stepped up and refunded my money despite what GM said. Dealership: Good. GM: bad.

Installed the DSC controller about a month ago. Amazing difference in both ride and handling. Like a different car. GM's upgrade was subtle at most.....waste of money.

mtaxman 02-20-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1598911012)
'17 GS. Long story short: They installed the Z06 upgrade on my GS. It felt better. Then they replaced it with the correct GS upgrade after there was a recall for incorrect programming. The ride sucked after that. I asked them to restore the Z06 programming. Dealer said they couldn't do that without an OK from GM. GM said no. I opened a case through Mary Barra's office with GM. They said "fuck you." The dealership finally stepped up and refunded my money despite what GM said. Dealership: Good. GM: bad.

Installed the DSC controller about a month ago. Amazing difference in both ride and handling. Like a different car. GM's upgrade was subtle at most.....waste of money.

I had the same experience...you and I exchanged posts on this in another thread - I think.
I did the first flash in March 2018.
I decided to live with the first flash and ignore the recall notice...My Tech at the dealer said there is no going back if you do the recall.
So, my dealer and my tech were up front about the upside and downside...which is why I like this store.
I thought the programing for the ZO6 was Ok...I did a track day with it and I could tell a difference in ECO/TOUR/SPORT when daily driving it.
In January 2019 I had a service done for the transmission shudder and an oil change ( 0W-40)...I decided to have the recall re-flash done.
Honestly, my butt can't tell the difference between the two calibrations.
My 2017 GS now has no tranny shudder and the ride is fine in all modes - haven't had it in Track yet.

OHHMY 02-20-2019 11:28 AM

How can one tell if the software update was installed?