CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   84 upgrade (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4243031-84-upgrade.html)

Radioway 02-17-2019 07:53 AM

84 upgrade

Good morning. Im sure this had been asked before and if it has im sorry. Always loved cars and always wanted a project but never could get one till last summer when i picked up an 84 c4 CFI l83 for 2500 dollars. It drives fine hasn't needed much work outside of normal wear and tear. All original parts with the exception of the fuel pump, fuel filter and alternator. I just replaced those. Originally i was not going to do any serious engine work on it but recently ive been getting a lot of white smoke on start up which led me to believe its my valve stem seals. So i decided instead of just replacing the seals i might as well just replace the heads. Then it got me thinking i might as well start doing some upgrades. Im no gear head but i want to be and this is my learner car. I want to get more power and have something i can be proud of so im hoping i can learn some things from the experts on here. Im 31 years old and do not live in an emissions state. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

mazdaverx7 02-17-2019 08:33 AM

Blue smoke on start up can be a sign of worn valve guide seals. White smoke, snot so much. But my concern would be how much smoke.

If you are after a little performance, aluminum heads would be a good choice. Couple the heads with a quality header set and I think you would like the results. A Renegade intake manifold is also a good choice for the L83. It honestly just depends on where you want to be with the car.

Radioway 02-17-2019 08:36 AM

Its white smoke and a lot of it. But it goes away after a minute or two. Im not losing coolant. And the oil is still clean. Im not looking to take it to the drag strip but just get some more power and have a nice weekend driver. Maybe take it to a show or two.

84 4+3 02-17-2019 09:30 AM

I'm going to agree, white is coolant or some form of vapor. Oil will have a bluish tint to it and fuel can be white or black depending.

I'm curious, does it have a cat? If it doesn't and the weather is cooler it will smoke for quite a while when you start it. Go behind it and smell it. Burn't oil has a smell, fuel will smell rich and coolant will have a sweet or bitter smell. If it's just a lack of a cat it'll just smell like exhaust.

renchjeep 02-17-2019 09:51 AM

Could just be condensation, especially if it's cold and/or damp where you are. Condensation will dissipate quickly in the air. Oil or coolant burning smoke will kinda hang around.

Radioway 02-17-2019 09:57 AM

It goes away quickly. I live in northeastern ohio. So this time of year its always cold and wet lol. Just seems like a lot

84 4+3 02-17-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Radioway (Post 1598894427)
It goes away quickly. I live in northeastern ohio. So this time of year its always cold and wet lol. Just seems like a lot

But does it smell?

Radioway 02-17-2019 10:48 AM

Sorry i didnt see the response about the cat. Yes it still has its cat. Although i have no idea how good it is. And it does not really smell any differently from any other exhaust. At least i dont think it does

Radioway 02-17-2019 10:51 AM

Im talking huge amount of white smoke then it slowly tapers off and i don't really see any while driving down the road. It did it in the summer too but only on a cold start and it was not as much or last as long. Not sure if its getting worse or if the cold is making it appear as though its getting worse. But it did happen in the summer as well

corvettenorway 02-17-2019 01:46 PM

do the engine useing mutch oil ?

Radioway 02-17-2019 01:46 PM

No oil level appears to be fine

corvettenorway 02-17-2019 01:50 PM

pvc valve maybe ?

84 4+3 02-17-2019 02:29 PM

Does it look anything like
?

Radioway 02-17-2019 02:31 PM

Yes but a lot more when i first start it up. But that's basically it

84 4+3 02-17-2019 02:58 PM

That was running for a few minutes when I did that. I wouldn't worry about it but keep an eye on the fluids.

Radioway 02-17-2019 03:00 PM

I check all my fluids before i pull it out of the garage everytime. Always good with the exception of the trans fluid but that's because i have a small leak from 2 of the bolts on the trans pan.

Radioway 02-17-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 (Post 1598896182)
That was running for a few minutes when I did that. I wouldn't worry about it but keep an eye on the fluids.

It sounds good

Radioway 02-17-2019 04:08 PM

Im trying to upload a video but it wont let me

drcook 02-17-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Radioway (Post 1598894427)

So do I. Just outside Akron. Most if not all cars will pass water vapor as they warm up from being cold. Condensation/humidity in the atmosphere will get sucked in, more in some cars/trucks, less in others.

Wait until warm weather and then if it still does it, start to worry.

Especially if you are not losing coolant and have no smell of antifreeze.

If I go out and fire up my 96, it will blow white vapor until warmed up and all moisture is gone from the exhaust system.

Radioway 02-17-2019 04:20 PM

It smells really rich