CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   OT - Craigs list (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4243042-ot-craigs-list.html)

plaidside 02-17-2019 08:30 AM

OT - Craigs list

I have a brake lathe for sale on the site and I received this offer. The guy is persistent! What do you think?

Him: Hi. I'm Ronald, I'm interested in your lathe you have on CL? What will be the least you will take for it ?Me: Hi, I am Joe. This is a great lathe and I just cut 4 rotors with it.i am the only one who usex it. I will take 450.Him: Fair price. I'll write a check and i'll include money for my movers. Deduct your pay and pls give rest to my movers when they pick up. Ok?Me:I do not accept checks. Have your movers come with cash.Him: Why? I will mail you your payment a cashiers check through the regular USPS and when you get the check cashed and your pay in your hands, then you can now let me know when my movers can come for pick up, Sounds good?
Him: Hello. Did you get my last text?

Todd H. 02-17-2019 08:49 AM

Typical scam line.

Don't exchange emails with him or click on any links he sends.

So you're texting with him. What happens when you call the number?

I never deal with anyone who wants a set-up like this, and I insist on talking to them. Usually makes them go away. And the cash is a good idea, too.

Robert61 02-17-2019 09:40 AM

Scam. I wouldn't have any further correspondence with him, none. The Internet is full of these. I don't know how,they use your bank info.

Rob_64-365 02-17-2019 09:59 AM

No thanks cash only, if you dont.like that, we have no more to discuss... bye!

Ken Sungela 02-17-2019 10:00 AM

scam

oemtech 02-17-2019 10:23 AM

My answer to these scammers is, "Cash or Paypal only" or tell them they can pick up the item once the check clears my bank. This usually stops 90% of them.

If I want to mess with them I ask them to FedEx or USPS Express Mail the Check. Once I receive it I wait a day or two to see if they respond. If I fell like messing with them some more I tell them I didn't get it and to resend it or tell them they pick up at a specific address as I will be out of town. The address is the local police station.

3JsVette 02-17-2019 10:29 AM

$$$$$ Cash only and as ridiculous as this sounds no $100 bills unless you verify they're good.

GTR1999 02-17-2019 10:31 AM

scam, I had a cavalier on CL for a month, noted it needed a motor-does not run. I got so many contacts like that I finally just had a junk yard pick it up. I have sold some things online and always told the buyers it was a cash only deal.

How about this one, I sold a set a heads on ebay in Nov with pick up only, no shipping No interest for over a month, then one Saturday I come in for the day and a guy calls from CL, I did run the heads there as well. He is local, is real, has cash and wants to come get them. No problem right? he is only 30 minute away. Well I come in to pull the ad off ebay and sure enough someone bought the heads. The buyer is out of state but will p/u within 2 weeks. I contact him right away and told him I had a buyer coming in before I could pull the ad, he said , no they are mine - paid for them and will get them. The local guy from CL shows up with cash in hand and I told him the story. He leaves disappointed, I feel bad, and I am still waiting 3 months later for the buyer to pick up the heads. After 4-5 emails requesting him to get them I stopped emailing.

dcamick 02-17-2019 10:51 AM

Hate to be this way....With 100% of my dealings on CL.......Gone Bad! (Go Kart and Tires)....."My Dad is sick, he always wanted me to have a Racing Kart" .......... "I'll have my Courier pick up the tires" BS.....I will not go there, EVER!

Have a Great Daytona 500!!!!

dmaxx3500 02-17-2019 11:50 AM

ads on CL are wacked,,all I get are people

1.first q is ''whats your bottom dollar'' ,,,price is in the ad,so we can start there
2.can you deliver it
3.i'll be out sat,but i'll call first,then fri night,you get an email asking you for a lower price,or it not what they wanted [after 2-3 other people do the same thing]

Frankie the Fink 02-17-2019 11:56 AM

I don't get it - I sold my 2006 Dodge Durango on CL in 2 days for 300% more than I was being offered on eBay...
Cash deal, local buyer...

kolsen911 02-17-2019 12:01 PM

I was recently selling some wheels from my Classic Mini. Got a response similar to yours. What got my attention was "my movers will come by and pick them up". Your Movers??? What's that? I don't want Your Movers coming over to my house and my garage. He said he'd sent a cashier check also. When I said I'd bring the wheels and met him half way after the check cashed he never called back.

dcamick 02-17-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598895072)
I don't get it - I sold my 2006 Dodge Durango on CL in 2 days for 300% more than I was being offered on eBay...
Cash deal, local buyer...

You have "the magic touch" Frankie.......I just have had bad experiences with it.....

Frankie the Fink 02-17-2019 12:08 PM

Maybe - we had two "thugs" (Ramontrae and Dontae - yes, their real names) in their teens shoot and kill a young father in front of his son when he met with them to sell them a mini-bike off CL - over in Tampa Bay area...two years ago... You have to be damned careful...

Mike67nv 02-17-2019 12:09 PM

I've sold quite a few things on CL over the years - everything from a transmission to a snow blower. I always tell people responding with interest that it goes to the first one arriving with cash in hand. By sticking to cash only, first arrival (no holds), I've never had a problem but your location may be playing into it also - Northern Nevada is not a highly populated area.

1Cerberus4u 02-17-2019 12:17 PM

May be interested in your lathe if you can get it to NH or meet me 1/2 way? Do you have pics?

GTOguy 02-17-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598895161)
Maybe - we had two "thugs" (Ramontrae and Dontae - yes, their real names) in their teens shoot and kill a young father in front of his son when he met with them to sell them a mini-bike off CL - over in Tampa Bay area...two years ago... You have to be damned careful...

These guys sound like Celtic Bangers from the old country! (not). I've also had good luck with CL, but maybe it was simply that....luck. Sold my 4Runner in 45 minutes after I listed it and sold a 5th wheel trailer hitch with no haggling in a single day. Have also bought stuff locally with zero issues.

Robert61 02-17-2019 12:22 PM

I found a 66 Lemans convertible on Craigslist. It was in Kennewick Wa. I'm in Ms. I talked to the guy and wanted pics of the floors in the back seat and the trunk. He said after a few minutes of talking with me he decided I was serious. I said yeah is there any way I could find one further away. I tried researching him as well as I could. His wife has a successful business there and he was a former hockey player. I still didn't lil sending that kind of money blindly. I went to my bank to do the bank transfer and I had her call their bank. The lady at their bank knew them well and said they were great people with a good reputation. I wired the money but I still didn't like it. He Fedexed the bill of sale and title as soon as the transfer was complete. It all went as anyone would want but it's hard to do a transaction like that with all of the BS now days.

And what FTF mentioned has happened here on several occasions.

Saddletan 02-17-2019 12:32 PM

I do my CL cash transactions in between the County Sherrif’s and the Highway Patrol buildings.

Rickscar 02-17-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by oemtech (Post 1598894596)
My answer to these scammers is, "Cash or Paypal only" or tell them they can pick up the item once the check clears my bank. This usually stops 90% of them.

If I want to mess with them I ask them to FedEx or USPS Express Mail the Check. Once I receive it I wait a day or two to see if they respond. If I fell like messing with them some more I tell them I didn't get it and to resend it or tell them they pick up at a specific address as I will be out of town. The address is the local police station.

I regularly listen to a financial talk show called "the Clark Howard show". He says though your bank deposits funds into your account much sooner, it may actually take up to 6 weeks for a fake cashier's check to bounce. When the fake cashier's check bounces, you're the one left responsible and they then take the money back out of your account