CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4244035-corvette-c8-vs-tesla-roadster.html)

joseanMD 02-19-2019 10:09 PM

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Well, here is the deal, if GM comes out with a super Corvette C8 ZR1 at 1000hp and still run 0-60 to at 2.6-2.8 secs, valued at $150k?! Why not get the Tesla Roadster that does 0-60 at less than 1.9 secs, it looks awesome, and +250 top speed, w/ 620mile range? (see roadster info, https://www.tesla.com/roadster)

I mean I love the Corvette, particularly my C7 but, that Tesla Roadster is a sexy mean fast machine! Potential C8 pricing aside, what would make the difference between the Tesla Roadster and the Corvette C8 in terms of perfomance? That Tesla would beat hands down all Ferraris, Lambo's and Buggatis out there at $200k isn't it a steal!? When the C8 Mid Engine Vette comes out, what features could make the C8 better than this Tesla vehicle? Should GM totally reconsider and build the C8 as an EV? or have a fully electric C8 Corvette 3-4 years down the road?

Anyway, I have so many questions... I know we don't have all the C8 answers yet, but could you please let me know what you think? thanks!

kozmic 02-19-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by joseanMD (Post 1598911279)
Why not get the Tesla Roadster that does 0-60 at less than 1.9 secs

Because, while I love the stated/projected performance numbers, the Tesla Roadster is fugly imo. They should have stuck with something more like the original Tesla Roadster (even if they couldn’t get Lotus bodies/chassis anymore).

Quinten33 02-19-2019 10:21 PM

Yeah let’s compare a car that was overhyped and still not put into production to a car that still hasn’t been announced by its manufacturer.

PCMIII 02-19-2019 10:26 PM

The Tesla Roadster is stupid fast and it actually runs and drives. Leno loved his ride in it.

If it is priced under $200K it will be a killer of a lot of competitors. Whether it works on the track is the only question.

Zymurgy 02-19-2019 10:29 PM

The roar of a V8.

CONMAX 02-19-2019 10:30 PM

kind of a moot point since neither are yet available. if they were, the Tesla roadster would definitely be quicker to 100 mph based upon pre-production data. with a 1.8s 0-60, the Tesla will be hard to beat w/o AWD and instantaneous power.

jimmyb 02-19-2019 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598911375)
The Tesla Roadster is stupid fast and it actually runs and drives. Leno loved his ride in it.

If it is priced under $200K it will be a killer of a lot of competitors. Whether it works on the track is the only question.

Uh...as far as I can tell, there's ONE Tesla Roadster...there's a pile of C8 mules running around, they haven't shared a drive with Leno.
We already KNOW it won't be under $200K (where have you been?) and based on pricing of the Model 3, I have concerns about it coming in at $250K.
And then there's the $50,000 DEPOSIT to get in line.
I'll cut Tesla some slack and "assume" they will work out the battery cooling so the car can actually complete A lap without overheating (something their other cars WON'T do).

joseanMD 02-19-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1598911387)
The roar of a V8.

I agree on this one, I love the roar of my C7 ;) Particularly that pause in the roar sound for the transmission to shift gears, is roar pause for about a split second,then the spit-fire sound,and then another roar as it kicks in again! That is a sexy sound that I love! ;) So I agree with you on this one, the Roadster will probably feel more like a linear inductive motor (LIM) based roller coaster propelling you forward without the engine roar. Interesting but so true! thanks again!

Lacquer 02-19-2019 10:57 PM

Elon and Tesla are famous for making claims that are less than based in fact. This car has been hyped for two years and it might have an excellent surge to a 100mph, but it will take so much battery power to sustain one or more runs to over 200mph I doubt if could make it to their claimed top speed. World record 1/4 times in any battery electric car are not even close to ICE for quarter mile times and having batteries that could sustain enough power to get a car over 200mph will be extremely heavy so the car will not do well in turns. I am sure the Tesla faithful will want one, they seem to accept whatever Tesla does, but Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and many others, (maybe Corvette) will all have much better options very soon for the electric sports car crowd and that may kill this before it ever makes it out.

fasttoys 02-19-2019 11:03 PM

Under 2 seconds 0 to 60 is ridiculous fast and truly dangerous with an idiot behind the wheel. I don't buy my cars based off 0 to 60 times its about the entire package. Tesla makes some cool technology cars but when it comes to my sports cars I need to hear and feel the mechanical engine.

ffr1352 02-19-2019 11:09 PM

Jose, if it was pure performance you desired the model s p100d is available today and already outperforms anything 0-60. You haven't purchased it for the same reason I would guess the tesla roadster may not satisfy you as well. BORING to drive most of the time! Between the rumble of an American V8 or any gasoline motor, having to use your skill to maximize acceleration while keeping the rear end from stepping out, to all the other visceral stimulations not found in an electric car, the corvette is an instrument for a professional musician to play to the limit while an electric vehicle is a transportation device that anyone can direct.

Chrisrokc 02-19-2019 11:10 PM

If it comes into being, it will be a great road car and a horrible track car. Range is drastically different when you are on the gas and there can be an overheat issue when you are on the track.

So if your goal is to purchase a car that can perform on the track, strip, and street.... Go electric assisted (what Chevy is reportedly doing with the C8).

If you goal is strip, street car... Go full electric.

Edit... Wanted to add there is nothing like a V8 rumble and blow off valve.

Randy Miller 02-19-2019 11:28 PM

The Tesla is very fast in a straight line, but will it be as fast around the corners? EVs tend to be much heavier than ICE cars. If you only use your Corvette only for drag racing then the Tesla is the clear winner, but many Corvette owners bought the Corvette because of how well it takes corners.

Dethsupp0rt 02-19-2019 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller (Post 1598911649)
The Tesla is very fast in a straight line, but will it be as fast around the corners? EVs tend to be much heavier than ICE cars. If you only use your Corvette only for drag racing then the Tesla is the clear winner, but many Corvette owners bought the Corvette because of how well it takes corners.

The Model 3P does pretty well around the track, for a couple of laps. If the Roadster does indeed come in < 3,000 lbs., there's no doubt it will give the 'vette a run for its money.

Still won't be something you'd want to spend the entire day at the track with though, unlike the 'vette.

smithers 02-20-2019 12:33 AM

All Tesla’s can do so far is accelerate. They have yet to build a car that can actually turn a few laps without overheating. The cars really aren’t comparable. If you just want a car that rips in a straight line there are already better choices out there.

Steven Beaver 02-20-2019 01:13 AM

I had a dream there was another awesome car out too. It was awesome! Put the C8 and Tired Rock Band to shame

flyingbunnys 02-20-2019 03:09 AM

I'll consider a Tesla when one can finish a 24 hour race. Doesn't even need to win, just finishing is enough since it can't even do that.

invadermoose 02-20-2019 04:31 AM

What kind of an enthusiast wants an electric car

Rkreigh 02-20-2019 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by invadermoose (Post 1598912037)
What kind of an enthusiast wants an electric car

give me kers, capacitor array, light battery, front 300 hp electric motor, 800+ tt in the back

you can keep the testla

I want to drive all day

99HRDTP 02-20-2019 07:53 AM

Tesla will be awesome. C8 will be awesome. Printed numbers don't convey passion and driving experience. If you love your Model S, then the Roadster is for you. If you love an American V8 and heritage, nod to the Vette. If you're rich and lucky, buy both...