CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1973 tank sticker (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4244652-1973-tank-sticker.html)

Blue73Shark 02-21-2019 04:33 PM

1973 tank sticker

I am the third owner of the car which is stock and pretty original based upon my research and working on it the 14 years I have owned it. I got a chance to look for the tank sticker and found about half of it by going thru the gas cap area. When it gets a little warmer, I'll come up from the bottom to see if there is any more.
Looking for comments on what you see, especially the options: a few I cannot decipher but everything matches to what is on the car.
Thanks.
Fran

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c74a7bb05.jpg

Greg 02-21-2019 06:22 PM

Cool! :thumbs:

hunt4cleanair 02-22-2019 03:54 AM

Looks in nice shape! ad the upper half shows codes for the car while missing bottom shows dealer address. Top right shows expected date of production (10-01), key codes, and other side shows your assigned VIN. I see you have some nice options to include L82 four-speed along with A/C. Also shows mechanical and chassis broadcast codes

Tooch1 02-22-2019 07:38 AM

Hi Fran,
Yours is in really decent condition! Luckily for you all your important option info is visible.
Jimmy

Blue73Shark 02-22-2019 03:07 PM

I have uploaded a better scan in my original post and in this one to refer to for my questions (left to right on the Options section):
1) why the bucket seat option? It is not listed in on page 107 (Options list) of my 2nd edition/w updates NCRS Manual (Manual)
2) Manual does not list an option code for GV7, although I do have a 3.55 rear end
3) sticker shows QRN for tire code; Manual has only 3 tire codes QRM, QRX, QRZ
4) what are "SPEEDO & FIT" and "TIRE PR STICK"
5) what do "6MD LH FRT SPRG" and "7MD RH FRT SPRG"
All else on sheet matches up to the car. Trim tag is original and has correct exterior and interior codes with an October 6 (C 6) build date.

Any answers and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Fran

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8a8580947d.jpg

hunt4cleanair 02-23-2019 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blue73Shark (Post 1598929095)
I have uploaded a better scan in my original post and in this one to refer to for my questions (left to right on the Options section):
1) why the bucket seat option? It is not listed in on page 107 (Options list) of my 2nd edition/w updates NCRS Manual (Manual)

Build sheets reflect options codes ordered by the buyer. Thus if its a base item, codes are not listed on the sheet. IN this case, I believe its the cloth vs leather and/or deluxe vs standard. Also the 3rd edition of the NCRS is now printed and shipping. The 2nd edition contained several omissions and had passed its lifespan after twenty years.

2) Manual does not list an option code for GV7, although I do have a 3.55 rear end
Other options, call out an RPO option and in your case, the L82 four-speed would call out the rear end gear ratio

3) sticker shows QRN for tire code; Manual has only 3 tire codes QRM, QRX, QRZ
tooch can answer that one

4) what are "SPEEDO & FIT" and "TIRE PR STICK"
The tire pr sticker is the tire pressure label that relates to the above tire selection. I believe the first relates to whether its a Canadian build that would require the kilometer speedo or the US MPH speedo.

5) what do "6MD LH FRT SPRG" and "7MD RH FRT SPRG"
It is calling out the correct front coil spring by "spring weight" that results from the combined option list. The tag on the front spring should reconcile with the springs in the manual.

All else on sheet matches up to the car. Trim tag is original and has correct exterior and interior codes with an October 6 (C 6) build date.
I wrote earlier the expected production of 10-01 but sees it 10-09. Your car was ahead of schedule or probably the 6th is a Friday while 09 is a Monday

Blue73Shark 02-23-2019 07:31 AM

Thanks hunt4cleanair for the explanations; all makes sense. Hopefully I can get out the bottom part of the sheet.
Looking forward to getting the 3rd version of the NCRS manual.
Fran

Tooch1 02-23-2019 08:20 AM

Fran,
The QRN tire code is for the standard black wall tire. If you note on the chart in the 2nd edition page 107 you can see it used under the 74 options list. Not for sure if the QRX code listed under 73 options was used at one point, then changed to QRN at some point? You have an Oct 72 built car from my records so that is fairly early and QRN is used. My April 30 th car lists QRN and I do still have my original Firestone 500 blackwall spare.

Can't make out your bucket seat code, but mine has A51. My car (convertible) came with standard Oxblood vinyl. Not sure on this either, possibly a different call out for a coupe or convertible. Since the seatbacks are different. Coupes have the slot in the back for the shoulder belt which is stand equipment on the coupe. For sure if someone ordered shoulder belts for their convertible the option call out code would be listed as A85....

As for your front springs...... Those are determined by the options your car has on it. Again, if you go to pages 96 and 97 in your old Pink Edition you can read through that info, use the charts A,B&C to figure out your springs. Your car is well optioned so that determines extra weight. Etc. For example my car lists 6MA LH and 7MA RH. The only options my car has are N40 Power Steering and U69 AM-FM mono radio.

Hope this helps explain some things.
Jimmy

Blue73Shark 02-23-2019 09:35 AM

Thanks Jimmy for the extra info. Will go back to my manual to reread what I missed.
My car called for vinyl seats but has the proper color “leather” seats. This always bugged me until I changed out the driver side seat cushion. Written on the underside of the seat cover in Magic Marker was “Dec 1988”. Evidently, the PO had the seat covers changed.
Always a mystery to solve with these cars.
Fran

Blue73Shark 03-13-2019 05:36 PM

Had some time and the weather was nice so I took out my spare tire and reached up to the top rear of the gas tank to find more of my tank sticker. This is what I found:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3f354a8457.jpg
This makes sense as I bought the car from a corvette dealer (who got it from the original owner) in Old Forge, PA about 16 miles from the dealer. I will call Bonner Chevrolet tomorrow to see if they have any old records on the car. Evidently it stayed in the area for its life. Some years ago, I found a Scranton department store credit card in the seatbelt retractor; sent it back to the name and address of the person listed on it. Never heard back.
Fran

Just closing the loop on this. Bonner Chevrolet did not have any records that far back. Worth a try.
Fran

Tooch1 03-13-2019 10:55 PM

Hi Fran,
Nice find. More information about your car is always a good thing. Hope you have better luck than I did asking the original dealership if they had any record of my car. Mine was delivered to Fairway Motors Inc. in Hazelton, Pa. The guy told me they never keep records that far back.
Jimmy

Paul Borowski 03-14-2019 03:30 PM

...I got lucky with my '74 coupe having two mint copies, the one on the tank and one was folded up under the jack. It too is mint, but it has a huge footprint on it. It's such a great document to have. Like having the DNA test results to your car.