CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   '69 Carpet Replacements - Best / Worst Sources? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4245092-69-carpet-replacements-best-worst-sources.html)

mkalman4867 02-22-2019 07:04 PM

'69 Carpet Replacements - Best / Worst Sources?

Getting close to being ready to install new carpets in my '69 convertible (thank you all for your input and answers to my numerous questions)...can I get input on good (and bad) experiences you've had with suppliers like CA, Ecklers, Willcox etc? I'm looking for any and all feedback before I make my purchase next week.

Thanks again!

Willcox Corvette 02-22-2019 09:28 PM

Well.. I can tell you that we worked directly with ACC so that the rear carpet sections would fit your car perfectly.... It was a year long project that was documented on this forum. It was fun, we posted the results on this forum and while it may have helped everyone it was very satisfactory to me to know that we made the product fit as original.

If you need me to dig up the old thread post back... or go to our tech page and search.. there are some helpful pics on the rear humps and how you trim and install them at this link.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1969&s=carpet

mkalman4867 02-22-2019 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1598931413)
Well.. I can tell you that we worked directly with ACC so that the rear carpet sections would fit your car perfectly.... It was a year long project that was documented on this forum. It was fun, we posted the results on this forum and while it may have helped everyone it was very satisfactory to me to know that we made the product fit as original.

If you need me to dig up the old thread post back... or go to our tech page and search.. there are some helpful pics on the rear humps and how you trim and install them at this link.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1969&s=carpet

Very kind and much appreciated. I will read this tonight!

sug 02-23-2019 12:02 AM

I used the ACC carpets and I am very happy with the fit and finish .:thumbs:

Radman2112 02-23-2019 01:23 PM

Hello, I bought my carpeting (along with parts for a whole interior color change) from Willcox. I'm not totally done installing the carpet, ( about 3/4 done) but what I have installed went in easy and looks great. I'm very happy with it. I have a 71 vert.

Willcox Corvette 02-23-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mkalman4867 (Post 1598931736)
Very kind and much appreciated. I will read this tonight!

It's 20 percent off until Sunday at midnight too... :D

Willcox

Bikespace 02-23-2019 06:45 PM

I've been happy with two sets of ACC carpet via Willcox. ACC sells direct, too, including plushness levels i haven't seen on other websites. They only sell at retail MSRP, though, so the 20% Willcox coupon is tough to beat.

Go Vette Go 02-23-2019 08:24 PM

Another plug for ACC. Got my first carpet set for my 76 years ago and it has held up great. Going to replace it this spring because it has faded in some areas - lots of car shows and driving without the T-Tops!!! Can't beat to 20% discount at Willcox! :thumbs:

mkalman4867 02-23-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1598935901)

Willcox

Ok thanks. DONE! Bought several other items too!

mkalman4867 06-17-2019 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1598935901)

Willcox

Having made my way (FINALLY) past the rear section I was pretty disappointed to see that the piece I received that sits behind the driver and passengers seats was not only lacking binding (even the cheap PoS carpet I pulled out had this) but that the bottom on both sides was cut into strange tab shapes...
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...082c00ffd.jpeg

Going to be calling Wilcox in the morning! There’s been several places where the backing was not attached to the carpet (maybe that’s intentional?) but this issue shows a difference between their own description image...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bedb2001a.jpeg

Bikespace 06-17-2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mkalman4867 (Post 1599595613)
Having made my way (FINALLY) past the rear section I was pretty disappointed to see that the piece I received that sits behind the driver and passengers seats was not only lacking binding (even the cheap PoS carpet I pulled out had this) but that the bottom on both sides was cut into strange tab shapes...
Going to be calling Wilcox in the morning! There’s been several places where the backing was not attached to the carpet (maybe that’s intentional?) but this issue shows a difference between their own description image...

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed. Did you reach a resolution?

I've bought two sets of ACC carpet through Willcox, and for the price (and my intended use of my cars), they look and work great.

ACC does sell different finish levels of their product, and you can get some really fancy stuff if you buy direct from, better than the original carpet that came in your car. If you haven't cut the carpet yet, it might be worth it to call ACC, see if they have what you want, and returning what you have.

Willcox Corvette 06-17-2019 06:07 PM

I've been in contact with the OP... The issue is the picture on other listings not the carpet set. The original carpet sets on the front carpets were bound, the vertical riser wasn't bound at the rear...

The back edge of the front carpets laid over the lower edge of the vertical riser and trimmed out the finish.

I've sent pictures to the OP from original JP Stevens carpet sets that show how this went together. The picture posted above is an old ACC carpet picture that was never modified over the years and thus the confusion.

Ernie

mkalman4867 06-17-2019 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1599599858)
I've been in contact with the OP... The issue is the picture on other listings not the carpet set. The original carpet sets on the front carpets were bound, the vertical riser wasn't bound at the rear...

The back edge of the front carpets laid over the lower edge of the vertical riser and trimmed out the finish.

I've sent pictures to the OP from original JP Stevens carpet sets that show how this went together. The picture posted above is an old ACC carpet picture that was never modified over the years and thus the confusion.

Ernie

You did a great job of talking through this and I truly appreciate it. I did send you an email tonight as I still don't see the binding on either the rear edge of the driver /passenger carpets or the riser piece. Look forward to hearing from you.

mkalman4867 06-17-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go (Post 1598936439)
Another plug for ACC. Got my first carpet set for my 76 years ago and it has held up great. Going to replace it this spring because it has faded in some areas - lots of car shows and driving without the T-Tops!!! Can't beat to 20% discount at Willcox! :thumbs:

Could someone (anyone) please take a photo of their carpet where the riser carpet and the driver (or passenger) carpet intersect... basically behind the seat at the floor and post here please.

Thanks much!!

Bikespace 06-17-2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mkalman4867 (Post 1599601449)
Could someone (anyone) please take a photo of their carpet where the riser carpet and the driver (or passenger) carpet intersect... basically behind the seat at the floor and post here please.

Thanks much!!

Here you go!

This is in my 1980, so obviously not the same as your 69. There is vinyl binding at the perimiter of any exposed edges of the carpet, including where the front carpet passes over the sill (front and back), and the perimeter of the rear carpet, as shown.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...88af688155.jpg

Barry's70LT1 06-19-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mkalman4867 (Post 1599601449)

Thanks much!!

I just went thru the same thing with ACC. The carpet set for my '70 had the wrong "riser" piece. I received the riser piece with the uneven, unfinished bottom the same as you received.

After many, many emails and photos, ACC determined that the correct piece (according to them) was a riser from a '73. My carpet was absolutely original to the car.

ACC seem to have incorrect carpet information regarding the '69 - '70 riser piece.

ACC did send the '73 riser piece (at no charge) which was exactly correct for my '70. I have no issue with the quality of ACC carpet.

Picture below is my original riser piece and the new riser that came in the '70 carpet set.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1a2ef07056.jpg

mkalman4867 06-19-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1 (Post 1599611315)
I just went thru the same thing with ACC. The carpet set for my '70 had the wrong "riser" piece. I received the riser piece with the uneven, unfinished bottom the same as you received.

After many, many emails and photos, ACC determined that the correct piece (according to them) was a riser from a '73. My carpet was absolutely original to the car.

ACC seem to have incorrect carpet information regarding the '69 - '70 riser piece.

ACC did send the '73 riser piece (at no charge) which was exactly correct for my '70. I have no issue with the quality of ACC carpet.

Picture below is my original riser piece and the new riser that came in the '70 carpet set.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1a2ef07056.jpg

According to my '68/'69 judging manual, the riser pieces were bound starting in 1970, but due to possibly running out of 1969 riser carpet pieces, there were some instances LATE in 1969 where 1970 (meaning bound at the bottom edge) have been found.

Having said ALL THIS, in the set I received (ordered through Willcox and produced by ACC) neither of the driver & passenger floor carpet pieces were bound at the rearest point (the part that sticks up and covers the bottom of the riser piece) where they should have been. Willcox has verified that those two pieces SHOULD have been bound and has been working to help resolve for me. I do not have a satisfactory resolution yet, but I do believe that Willcox is truly working to help me so I will reserve judgement for now.

THANK YOU for weighing in though!

BLUE1972 06-19-2019 08:28 PM

will be doing mine this fall ..

Willcox Corvette 06-21-2019 03:15 AM

Somehow I posted this in the wrong thread.... But, new fronts were shipped to you on Weds.

I'm 2100 miles and three time zones away from home so I'm sorry for the late post.

Keep the old ones, don't worry about sending them back. Or you could offer them up on maybe the Christmas give away thread or put them up for St. Jude's action would be even better. Some people won't worry about the back edge not being bound especially since you don't see it when the seats are in there.

But there is a file on my tech page about all the rear t differences from 1968-1982. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I guess this fall I'll do the same on the vertical risers.

Ernie

mkalman4867 06-21-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1599620472)
Somehow I posted this in the wrong thread.... But, new fronts were shipped to you on Weds.

I'm 2100 miles and three time zones away from home so I'm sorry for the late post.

Keep the old ones, don't worry about sending them back. Or you could offer them up on maybe the Christmas give away thread or put them up for St. Jude's action would be even better. Some people won't worry about the back edge not being bound especially since you don't see it when the seats are in there.

But there is a file on my tech page about all the rear t differences from 1968-1982. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I guess this fall I'll do the same on the vertical risers.

Ernie

Ok, I appreciate the update and the effort!...don't suppose they provided you with any tracking info? If you want to send to me via email (mak76034@gmail.com) or private message, please do so...would love to know that info!