CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Jam Cam with Twins (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4246759-jam-cam-with-twins.html)

69GTO96Z 02-27-2019 06:43 PM

Jam Cam with Twins

Tossing up the idea of ditching the ysi for a huron twin kit. Most likely 6262s, forged rod/piston 347 with ported 243s. I have the jam cam in the car now, how would that perform with turbos? Prefer not to crack the motor open if I don’t have to.

robert miller 02-28-2019 11:05 AM

ttt

By what I have heard if you have a really good blower cam it DOESNT work good at all on a turbo motor the set up on the cam is way diff. Give BTR and talk to Brian tooley about it on the cam for each. The over lap needs to be diff on the turbo set up..Your jam cam is a really good cam for N/A are a blower set up also for a really good street cam & track..

Plus give Cajun at edgeyvette a vendor in here a message he has now a turbo set up in his C7 and it is running really good for a great street car set up.. He will help you out also man.. Robert

69GTO96Z 02-28-2019 11:08 AM

Appreciate the response! Good info!

Turpid porpoise 02-28-2019 11:13 AM

I would recommend having Bret or BTR spec you a cam specifically for the turbo setup. While the jam cam may work alright with the twins I doubt it will be your most efficient cam for the application.

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 02-28-2019 03:20 PM

I'd be happy to spec you a cam that best suits your combo, but I won't tell you that it's needed. The Jam Cam isn't very big, but I would still prefer to run a smaller cam than that for that specific turbo setup. It'll spool quicker with a smaller cam IMO. I'm local to you. feel free to PM me your cell# if you'd like a call from me to discuss things. I'm happy to help.

Bret

robert miller 02-28-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance (Post 1598963677)
I'd be happy to spec you a cam that best suits your combo, but I won't tell you that it's needed. The Jam Cam isn't very big, but I would still prefer to run a smaller cam than that for that specific turbo setup. It'll spool quicker with a smaller cam IMO. I'm local to you. feel free to PM me your cell# if you'd like a call from me to discuss things. I'm happy to help.

Bret

OP Brett here has been doing this for a long time & really knowns what he is doing on these cars from one end to the other. But please if you are close to him don't go out to eat with him at white castle burgers... Robert

Naturally Vain 02-28-2019 05:35 PM

Bret has been the most knowledgeable guy I have talked to regarding Corvettes. Mad genius really.

69GTO96Z 02-28-2019 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance (Post 1598963677)

Bret

Bret,

I appreciate it. We had lunch in downtown forney less than a year ago, I had the machine shop in Forney. If and when I end up going this route, I will definitely give you a shout!

FourG63 97GST 03-01-2019 03:43 AM

Jam cam won't work well, you'll be sacrificing spool and hp in the higher boost levels, Turbo cams just work on a different logic, on a turbo car, the job of the cam is primarily to keep back pressure in check, let the turbos do the work, vs blower and n/a cams are more about scavenging. Also while thinking about backpressure, consider the 6266s instead. on my single turbo 347 i ran a 227/227 .630/.598 115LSA, loved it, had great street manners, and torque and fat powerband, when I went LS2 with ported 243s, didn't want to fix what wasn't broken, so just upped it a hair 228/228 .620/.612 115+5.
you will loose the chop you're use to, by nature, because of their high LSA and lack of duration. off the shelf turbo cams try to find the balance with efficiency and chop to satisfy customers, so you see them breaking into the 230s.

my car doesn't chop much, sounds like an entry level grandpa 227/227 cam. but she pulls and never lets up ;)

robert miller 03-01-2019 09:42 AM

ttt

^^^^ This is what I am talking about on the cam lobe working really for a turbo car. OP if me would 100% pull that cam you have and sell it. It is a really good cam for a N/A & A BLOWER SET UP MOTOR.. Robert