CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Poll on accepting or not painted door new Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4248781-poll-on-accepting-or-not-painted-door-new-z06.html)

Bondojohn 03-05-2019 05:51 PM

Poll on accepting or not painted door new Z06

Ok. I’m taking a poll on how many people would accept or not accept a new Z06 if the dealer had to spray the door to correct a paint problem. Thanks for your response.

justplainjim 03-05-2019 05:55 PM

I would give them the opportunity to fix it. If it's not right then walk away..

PatternDayTrader 03-05-2019 06:06 PM

Yeah fine who cares.

Corgidog1 03-05-2019 06:13 PM

I wound not accept a new car with a door that was repainted.

AceG 03-05-2019 06:17 PM

If there was a defect in the paint, i would allow the dealer to repaint it.

Zjoe6 03-05-2019 06:19 PM

Depends how good they are at painting.

BEAR-AvHistory 03-05-2019 06:24 PM

If it fixes OK keep it.

dvilin 03-05-2019 06:30 PM

If they did a good job and there was no evidence of it being resprayed I would be okay with accepting it.

cuspid 03-05-2019 06:38 PM

I did it once on a Chevelle, I would pass.Bought a new z28 one time at night, 1/4 of car had been repainted had 20 miles on the clock.

KenHorse 03-05-2019 06:38 PM

Don't think a dealer fix during PDI is a diminished value issue.. As others say, if done correctly, no big whoop

WKM 03-05-2019 06:40 PM

If they fixed it to my liking I would except it. Stupid thing the dealer did was ordering a special car for you without getting a deposit of any kind. I bet because of you he will never make that mistake on a $90,000 car again for anybody.

Bondojohn 03-05-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by WKM (Post 1598993655)
If they fixed it to my liking I would except it. Stupid thing the dealer did was ordering a special car for you without getting a deposit of any kind. I bet because of you he will never make that mistake on a $90,000 car again for anybody.

Deposit or no deposit. I believe most dealers would return deposit if customer wasn’t satisfied with car when it came in. I think the exception would be if the customer ordered something specific causing the dealer to have a problem selling it.

Elk 03-05-2019 06:52 PM

Or if the customer is wholly unreasonable.

KenHorse 03-05-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Elk (Post 1598993750)
Or if the customer is wholly unreasonable.

Well..there IS that :D

sTz 03-05-2019 07:08 PM

Where’s the “poll?” :jester

A lot would have to go into making the decision, i.e.:

- Is the whole door being painted? This would help with blending/matching as you have defined seams of separation
- Color? Metallic paint can be difficult to match
- Any discounts? If they’re willing to negotiate a lower price, that might Influence a decision if sitting on a fence
- Exactly what is the problem needing correction? Sometimes it’s better to just leave small blemishes alone (see above)
- etc.

Further details would help, but I doubt that any information gathered in this “poll” will sway your decision one way or the other...

Bondojohn 03-05-2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1598993838)
Where’s the “poll?” :jester

A lot would have to go into making the decision, i.e.:

- Is the whole door being painted? This would help with blending/matching as you have defined seams of separation
- Color? Metallic paint can be difficult to match
- Any discounts? If they’re willing to negotiate a lower price, that might Influence a decision if sitting on a fence
- Exactly what is the problem needing correction? Sometimes it’s better to just leave small blemishes alone (see above)
- etc.

Further details would help, but I doubt that any information gathered in this “poll” will sway your decision one way or the other...

torch read. Blemishes right below the widow on the door. Two small wholes that go down to the fiberglass. I believe they would spray the whole door. No price discount because of door.

Kenny94945 03-05-2019 07:39 PM

I would...not except.

I would await another/ different Vette.

Up to you, but at least a cash discount or free GM extended warranty should be negotiated into the sale.

Yes, I too did not see the Poll option.

Bondojohn 03-05-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by WKM (Post 1598993655)

And what would you do if it looked good,you took the car. And later on there was a problem with the paint. Or you tried to sell it and the buyer realized the paint job on the door.

CE_Vetteboy 03-05-2019 07:45 PM

I see lots of vehicles on the road daily that you can tell have had certain panels painted. It may look like a perfect match when it is first done, however I would be concerned about later on down the road with respect to how the paint ages. The factory paint is baked on, I’m sure the local dealer doesn’t have that option.
Count me in the “too fussy” crowd but I don’t think I’d want my brand new toy painted before I’ve even paid for it. To some of us low life’s 90k is still a fair chunk of change, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a certain level of quality. I’m not saying you need to set the bar out of reach but you shouldn’t have to dig it out of the sand either!
I realize without pictures of said defects we are all left with our own mental picture of either the worst possible scenario or a couple small specs of dust. It all boils down to what is acceptable to each individual.

sTz 03-05-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bondojohn (Post 1598993976)
torch read. Blemishes right below the widow on the door. Two small wholes that go down to the fiberglass. I believe they would spray the whole door. No price discount because of door.

In that case... holes down to the composite, then I’d probably walk if I could not negotiate a better deal. I personally hate the idea of painting a new car, especially one that I have yet to take delivery.