CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Power steering died (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4249782-power-steering-died.html)

Went 03-08-2019 03:44 PM

Power steering died

Last night while I was out and backing out of a parking spot. Heard a knock or pop. The pressure needed to turn the steering wheel went up in seconds. I was able to drive home. The power steering reservoir was nearly empty. One hose is wet near where the hose is crimped into the metal fitting. The rack doesn't doesn't look it is leaking. Will the pump self destruct when the fluid is suddenly lost? Can that damage the rack?

On a brighter note, today my wife and I celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary!

Went

vette196 03-08-2019 05:02 PM

congrats on the anniversary!!

Kevova 03-09-2019 09:06 AM

P/ S pump won't self destruct however the there is the possibility of damage to vanes and ring. It will depend on length of time.

Went 03-12-2019 03:25 PM

So far the growling pump has been replaced along with the leaking high pressure line. When they started it up one end of the rack started puking out power steering fluid. So I'm getting a replacement rack too. It is a two turn rack. They are trying to find one locally. Oh boy, this not be cheap...

Went

vette196 03-12-2019 03:33 PM

someone recently posted a place that rebuilds racks

Here's the thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-pinion.html

WW7 03-12-2019 03:51 PM

Send it off to TurnOne and have it rebuilt, cheaper and better then any of the other companys out there.. 2 turn racks may be harder to find...WW

aklim 03-12-2019 10:16 PM

I replaced all my hoses as soon as one was damp. I would definitely shop around right now since it took several months to get all the hoses. Yes, the temptation would be to skip the hard to find one or two and risk it but I wouldn't give in to it. I went to 2 different vendors to get all the hoses and while your hose is out, I'd go get it all done.

Went 03-13-2019 05:30 PM

I talked with Turn One. They are 2~3 weeks out in the shop not including shipping there and back. This is my daily driver car too. So I really need to find something sooner than that. I will have all the hoses replaced, not just the high pressure hose. I've seen a couple rebuilt racks that have a 5 year warranty but the quickest wouldn't ship till 3/28/19. Might be that is just the reality of the thing. What's the difference in feel between the NS rack and the FH slower rack?

Went

vette196 03-13-2019 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Went (Post 1599039645)
I talked with Turn One. They are 2~3 weeks out in the shop not including shipping there and back. This is my daily driver car too. So I really need to find something sooner than that. I will have all the hoses replaced, not just the high pressure hose. I've seen a couple rebuilt racks that have a 5 year warranty but the quickest wouldn't ship till 3/28/19. Might be that is just the reality of the thing. What's the difference in feel between the NS rack and the FH slower rack?

Went

I saw something on their site about paying $150 for a rush job

Went 03-14-2019 03:25 PM

It looks like I'll be using the rush job option of $150 extra at Turn One. We've found lots of places that sell the two turn NS racks but have nothing on the shelf. Guess my best bet is Turn One. Think maybe I'll find another and have it rebuilt after this experience. Have a spare on the shelf.

Went

waddiejohn 03-22-2019 05:05 AM

Zip advertises rack and pinions for $219 for both the standard and sport rack. Detroit Axle cells new ones for around $400 and Auto Zone says $149 I believe but they only sell the standard model. The sport is 1 7/8's turn compared to 2 1/4 for the standard. I bought a complete hose kit from Zip's and changed my leaky pump but now I can't keep air out of the system so it howls like the hounds of hell. The Rack is the only component that won't hold vacuum so I've been looking at replacing it with a sport unit. I would think it would be a direct swap. Does anyone here know for sure?

Went 03-22-2019 11:16 AM

The problem I found with locating a NS sport rack for my 89 was nothing in stock. Several places listed them on their websites but when called said there was nothing on the shelf. Autozone was like this...nothing on the shelf and no idea when they'd have one. Other places "sold" them but the deal was send your old one in to be rebuilt.2~3 week lead time. And, who is doing the rebuild? I didn't want it rebuilt by just anyone so I sent my sport rack to Turn One Steering and am paying the $150 expediting fee to get it quicker.

waddiejohn 03-23-2019 12:10 AM

Yep, you're right. Found a used one on e-bay for $750.

Went 04-01-2019 03:26 PM

Turn One Steering has finished my 1989 NS rack and pinion. It is shipping back to me today! It cost me $550 + shipping. ($150 extra for expediting and $150 for an additional repair over the basic rebuild price.) I can live with that.

Went

BLUE1972 04-05-2019 01:20 PM

I used a local shop, Biltron Automotive , Ronkonkoma, NY. -631 928 7156, Family owned business for over 50 years.. the owner was really nice and is a car guy.

The price was less than Auto-zone... which quoted $300. He explained how the rack fails and what they do to fix it..

IT looks great , will know when it stops raining in a few days..

aklim 04-05-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 (Post 1599173648)
I used a local shop, Biltron Automotive , Ronkonkoma, NY. -631 928 7156, Family owned business for over 50 years.. the owner was really nice and is a car guy.

The price was less than Auto-zone... which quoted $300. He explained hoe the rack fails and what they do to fix it..

IT looks great , will know when it stops raining in a few days..

Does he make it and what is the warranty comparison like?

BLUE1972 04-05-2019 07:17 PM

Yes they rebuild them right there. 90 days.

He explained why they fail and what they do to fix it. Including boring the sleeves and putting their sleeve.

It feels really tight and looks great. The threads were really clean and un-marked.

Will know in a few days when the rain stops...

He said I could rebuild mine or take the one on the shelf. Did not want to drive back - took the one he had..

I would call or go on the website for info..

aklim 04-05-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 (Post 1599175817)
Yes they rebuild them right there. 90 days.

He explained why they fail and what they do to fix it. Including boring the sleeves and putting their sleeve.

It feels really tight and looks great. The threads were really clean and un-marked.

Will know in a few days when the rain stops...

He said I could rebuild mine or take the one on the shelf. Did not want to drive back - took the one he had..

I would call or go on the website for info..

Didn't find warranty info in the catalog. Did you?

Went 04-09-2019 03:50 PM

My rack and pinion is back from Turn One. The shop that is installing it says they measured the rod end positions(?) before they removed the rack. They will set the new one in the same position but suggested I have the alignment checked. Will the front alignment change much with R&R of the rack? If the rack is installed with measurements the same will a couple days driving be okay? This is probably a dumb question :)

Thanks, Went

BLUE1972 04-09-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Went (Post 1599195370)
My rack and pinion is back from Turn One. The shop that is installing it says they measured the rod end positions(?) before they removed the rack. They will set the new one in the same position but suggested I have the alignment checked. Will the front alignment change much with R&R of the rack? If the rack is installed with measurements the same will a couple days driving be okay? This is probably a dumb question :)

Thanks, Went

The toe in / out can change. If they measured it correctly is should be close enough to drive for a few days. You would feel the wheel not wanting to return to neutral in an extreme case. Also you would feel the car wander / track poorly if the toe was really off.

The main problem may be even though the car is aligned ok, the steering wheel may be off.

As a kid I changed tie rod ends, measured to a mark from one front tire to another, did the work and re-set the front end. Drove until I had enough money for an alignment. No issues..