CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Power steering R&P Question and search function Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4250367-power-steering-r-and-p-question-and-search-function-question.html)

waddiejohn 03-10-2019 03:39 PM

Power steering R&P Question and search function Question

My PS pump had a small leak from the rear seal so I decided to change it out and replace all the coolant, oil cooler and power steering hoses and PS fluid. Project turned into a PIA. After installing a rebuilt Autozone pump I couldn't get it to stop make noise. Did the bleeding procedure turning wheels from lock to lock as prescribed in the instructions and tried eventually pulled around 20" of vacuum using an electric vacuum pump to no avail. Returned the pump and and bought one from a local parts house, Merle's automotive. Same problem. I'm following all the instructions to the letter so I think the rebuilders are just junk. I then ordered one from Rock Auto, rebuilt by a company called Lares. It was guaranteed to be rebuilt in the USA and tested to factory spec's with a lifetime warranty.
Upon installation the pump made no noise but it produced no pressure either. After doing some research I decide I needed actually know what was going on so I hooked a clear plastic tube to the fluid return line and started to pump the steering wheel lock to lock. I thought it would just take a few rotations to bleed the air but it took me a lot more than that but eventually no more bubbles appeared. I'd also tee'd in a pressure gauge to the pressure side. Start car, run steering lock to lock and no pressure. Returned pump to Rock Auto. Put Merle's auto pump back on. Gauge sees 1000 psi at lock position. When bleeding I notice that when I close the ball valve between the vacuum pump and and the power steering pump it bleeds down within a minute or so but it did run quiet for a very brief amount of time. All the components will hold vacuum when hooked up individually except for the rack. This makes me think I'm sucking air into the system through the rack as I'm applying vacuum. The rack doesn't leak fluid. I'm curious if anyone here can offer any thoughts or advice. The system worked fine until I swapped the pump, hoses and fluid. The fluid has been various labels, all claiming to be for GM products and I've used most in the past with good results.
If I have to get a rack and pinion replacement does anyone have recommendations on vendors?
I've searched a number of times for power steering "power steering" subject matter but get everything but power steering threads. Any tips on how to get what I'm searching for.
Thanks to anyone with info and offers help.