CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Need advice please (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4250812-need-advice-please.html)

Jriver 03-11-2019 07:47 PM

Need advice please

My 65 convertible 327 300 hp has the sloppiest shifter I have ever used.
I know I can get a rebuild kit but wonder if the 4 speed trans has to be removed in order to remover the oe shifter itself.

Nowhere Man 03-11-2019 07:50 PM

no need to remove the trans it self. under car exhaust makes it a tad harder but its doable

Dave Tracy 03-12-2019 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1599028705)
no need to remove the trans it self. under car exhaust makes it a tad harder but its doable

:iagree: Not an issue-just get your hands dirty!

Frankie the Fink 03-12-2019 07:07 AM

Is it the original Muncie transmission and shifter ?
Many shifters were swapped out for aftermarket pieces over the years....my 63 has a Hurst shifter in it, even has a fake reverse lock out....

R66 03-12-2019 08:43 AM

Not fun for someone with big hands, especially the Jesus Clip R&R. I would recommend unbolting the transmission mount to let you slide the tranny to the passenger's side an inch or so. Space is at a premium when trying to remove and reinstall the shifter.

Ron

CrossedUp 03-13-2019 05:52 AM

I found this article helpful when I did mine:
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...ifter-rebuild/

Dreaming60’s 03-13-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1599030455)
Is it the original Muncie transmission and shifter ?
Many shifters were swapped out for aftermarket pieces over the years....my 63 has a Hurst shifter in it, even has a fake reverse lock out....

And how do you like the Hurst installation with the fake shifter Frankie? Seems to be the best of both worlds to me and something I thought about with the other car. The linkage on the BW trans in this new car is a loose as well, but shifts very smoothly, so it would be nice to tighten it up and maybe shorten the pattern.

BH

J.Moore 03-13-2019 12:20 PM

My 65 has an original GM Corvette factory shifter and it feels great. Have it set for short throw shifts. It came with the car when I bought it in 1993. I cleaned it up, lubed it good, installed it, adjusted it using the correct washers and clips. I've had many Hurst shifters over the years in various cars and wouldn't change mine out for one. Maybe mine is a rare one that isn't worn out, I don't know but it sure feels tight.

I think possibly that over the years shifter parts and pieces get changed out like the rods, the shifter arms on the trans and maybe being out of adjustment that makes the factory shifter just feel bad, loose or worn out when really it may be a mismatch or incorrect install of parts.

dplotkin 03-13-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1599030455)
....my 63 has a Hurst shifter in it, even has a fake reverse lock out....

My 65 396 car, same thing.

Dan

cv67 03-13-2019 12:59 PM

w/Jmoore. They work fine when refreshed, your call
The old Hurts supershifters were awesome. I still cant stand the feel of a T56 or similar trans even with the best shifters out there, esp when shifting fast.

rayvaflav 03-13-2019 05:31 PM

The rebuild kits for the OEM Muncie shifters are easily available from most of the vendors and I had a blast rebuilding mine ! Check the main chrome stalk and make sure that it hasn't separated at the base, a quick weld can take care of that. You can make that "clunk-clunk" shifter of yours as good as new. :thumbs:

Ray

JohnZ 03-13-2019 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a feature article I wrote a while back on rebuilding the Muncie shifter. :thumbs:

Dreaming60’s 03-14-2019 07:56 AM

Okay, not trying to heist the thread, but my "T" bar on a stock shifter and stock BW trans slides up and down easily and rattles when driving if you don't hold it. Is there a fix for this. IIRC, this "T" is supposed to be attached to a spring or something. Car shifts into reverse very easily.

Frankie the Fink 03-14-2019 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer (Post 1599036445)
And how do you like the Hurst installation with the fake shifter Frankie? Seems to be the best of both worlds to me and something I thought about with the other car. The linkage on the BW trans in this new car is a loose as well, but shifts very smoothly, so it would be nice to tighten it up and maybe shorten the pattern.

BH

The Hurst is super nice, its more of a "snickety-snick" shift through the 4 gears than with the factory shifter....its sitting on a VERY early Muncie in my 63...
Now, I put a new, upgraded side cover on the Muncie with new rooster combs and bearings for the shifter forks and that certainly helps...

It actually passed ops judging too, of course you have to work the fake lock out when shifting.... One of those "they didn't ask, and I didn't tell" things.
I wouldn't swap back to an original shifter at this point...

Nowhere Man 03-14-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer (Post 1599042169)
Okay, not trying to heist the thread, but my "T" bar on a stock shifter and stock BW trans slides up and down easily and rattles when driving if you don't hold it. Is there a fix for this. IIRC, this "T" is supposed to be attached to a spring or something. Car shifts into reverse very easily.

place a rubber O-ring under the T handle and shifter base

Dreaming60’s 03-14-2019 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1599042442)
place a rubber O-ring under the T handle and shifter base

Thank you for giving me this common sense approach. :thumbs: I should have thought of that, but didn't.

Bh

Sullyvette 03-15-2019 02:54 PM

When I bought my '65 three years ago, the first thing I replaced was my sloppy shifter. I sold the old one one E-bay ($ 140). Bought a new original style one from a vendor. My son and I had it installed within 3 hours. Already had the console out to be painted. Easy install. Good luck, Sully