CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   1985 corvette help please (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4250907-1985-corvette-help-please.html)

Mason123 03-12-2019 12:52 AM

1985 corvette help please

Okay so, another probelm guys. I apparently suck with cars so, you’ll need to explain in very much detail ;)

now whenever I start up my car, it turns on but then instantly dies. Sometimes it’ll stay on, but dies only when I hit the throttle.

The check engine light on.

Im suspecting the spark plugs so I’ll buy some on Saturday. Why not, right.

But could it be anything else? I put in a new fuel pump, and the wires are all good.

Only other thing is I need to fix the vacuum hoses because I’m getting like... I don’t know... 11 mpg on average.

Also the the emergency brake doesn’t work. I can bring it up and down but it doesn’t like... lock in or anything.

I really love this car, actually it’s my first car, I’m 17 :)

what a perfect time to have one.

anyways any help is appreciated

xrav22 03-13-2019 12:34 AM

First you will need to find out what the check engine code is. Google and you will find out all you need is a paperclip. Learn how to read codes.
Vacuum lines will not cause the car to die. Mine ran fine when I did not even know I forgot to hook a few up(exeption is ths brake booster).
When I got poor milage it was because a cylinder was down(injector plug was corroded) found it and running great again.

Good luck with the 85 but the code is telling a story.

mtmvette 03-13-2019 09:37 PM

You need to get a good manual for your car and read and study it.. Also, some basic diagnostic tools. To much vague information will only lead to much speculation and guessing. Learn how to obtain the engine codes, get a fuel pressure gauge, digital multi-meter, and maybe a power probe. If you suspect spark plugs pull one and check it. Unless I can verify and check to see if the ignition system is new(recent) I always change the basis out.Ignition cap rotor, ignition wires, spark plugs.

KyleF 03-14-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by xrav22 (Post 1599035899)
First you will need to find out what the check engine code is. Google and you will find out all you need is a paperclip. Learn how to read codes.
Vacuum lines will not cause the car to die. Mine ran fine when I did not even know I forgot to hook a few up(exeption is ths brake booster).
When I got poor milage it was because a cylinder was down(injector plug was corroded) found it and running great again.

Good luck with the 85 but the code is telling a story.

Yup, have to get that code.

There is no harm in replacing the plugs, but just throwing parts at the car is never a good plan. TBH, I have seen very few problems solved from changing plugs. Normally, fouled plugs are a symptom, not a cause.

vader86 03-14-2019 09:09 AM

Pull codes first, if its from cold start it could be CTS related or injector issues, difficult to say, but need to know what the code is.