CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   UUGGGG....knock sensors AGAIN (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4250934-uugggg-knock-sensors-again.html)

ZHammer 03-12-2019 07:44 AM

UUGGGG....knock sensors AGAIN

Hey fellas and Corvette intellectual masters. If you remember my thread about my 1995 base Corvette I bought back in August of 2018 it had a bunch of brown gunk in the coolant overflow tank and I had to flush the whole system including taking out the knock sensors per the Corvette gods on this awesome site. Well, I did that and put in two new AC Delco knock sensors as well as all new coolant( glad I did because it was colder that a witches tit this winter). I drove it about 300 miles last year and had ZERO trouble. I took it out in January( we have awesome days with no snow and 50 degrees here in the winter) and it was fine for the first 30 miles or so. Then the Service Engine came on. I jumpered pin 4 and 12 and the code came up as 43-knock sensors! WTH? I did buy extra AC Delco sensors by chance but am wondering if you guys have encountered this after new sensors were put in? Could it be a bad ground? I didn’t put anything on the threads except what was on them from the factory. Bad signal from the computer? I thought I would ask you guys again since you guys were so helpful the last time and this is my first LT1 car. I am familiar with the LS and the earlier smallblocks but not the LT1. Thanks again guys for all your help and I look forward to your replies.

vette196 03-12-2019 11:27 AM

did you torque them right? I believe 14 (ft-lbs??)

DGXR 03-12-2019 01:48 PM

Yes that torque 14 lb-ft is about correct, and it is important. Also check the connectors and the wires, it sounds like a bad connection.
Yes it could be that a new sensor is bad, but check this stuff before putting in another sensor.

RUU 03-12-2019 03:13 PM

As mentioned, check the connector and check that you installed the metal shield over it correctly. It's possible to damage the knock sensor if the shield isn't aligned properly when it gets bolted down.

ZHammer 03-13-2019 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by vette196 (Post 1599031703)
did you torque them right? I believe 14 (ft-lbs??)

Yes sir. I got the torque specs from one of the guys on this site until my GM Factory technical manual arrived.

ZHammer 03-13-2019 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by DGXR (Post 1599032575)
Yes that torque 14 lb-ft is about correct, and it is important. Also check the connectors and the wires, it sounds like a bad connection.
Yes it could be that a new sensor is bad, but check this stuff before putting in another sensor.

It is the required 14lbs and I will check the connection when I can get under the car. It’s about to start a nasty blizzard here in a few hours so I will be doing a lot of snow removal until then.

ZHammer 03-13-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by RUU (Post 1599033032)
As mentioned, check the connector and check that you installed the metal shield over it correctly. It's possible to damage the knock sensor if the shield isn't aligned properly when it gets bolted down.

I did a quick inspection today and everything looks good except the new couple of drips from the inspection cover on the tranny. UUUUGGGGG...It only has 40,000 original miles on the car. The man who had it before me took excellent car of the car and I LOVE THIS CAR! I have always loved the C4 Corvettes. It’s my Gen X’er dream car. Anyway, when I get through this incoming blizzard I will get the car up on blocks and physically check everything. Thanks for your reply.