CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Daytona HPDE questions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4250952-daytona-hpde-questions.html)

quick04Z06 03-12-2019 08:43 AM

Daytona HPDE Tire pressures and alignment

I will be running at Daytona in early April. I have a C7 GS (non Z07) with the Michelin pilot super sport run flat tires. They are filled with air rather than nitrogen. The car is stock and I have made all the changes Chevy recommends for track use, including upgraded brake pads and fluid.

If you have experience at Daytona, do you have any suggestions on starting tire pressures for this track? I understand the right side tires take quite a beating.

Any alignment recommendations? The car has been aligned for normal road course use and corner weighted, but I’ve never run on a banked oval before.

Thanks

Oh4GTO 03-12-2019 04:22 PM

I have ran my GS wirh super sports on two tracks that have banking. Pocono Raceway and Watkins Glen. The Glen isn't banked like a traditional oval, but all the turns have a banking to them. On my third session, when I got really comfortable, the tires would get greasy after a few laps, and this was on a 45 degree day, no sun, and a recently dried track after rain.o started at 26 psi and final pressures were 34-35. I could carry a lot of speed on those banked turns, the air dam was constantly scrubbing in the turns.

The infield at Daytona is flat so less speed there. Dont really know how much heat they would generate on the banks. I never pushed very hard on the banks at Pocono. Dont really feel like finding the limit of adhesion at those speeds. Also all these track days are done with GMs recomended alignment. I dont go more because I DD the car with that alignment during race season.

UrbanKnight 03-12-2019 04:57 PM

two pounds higher right side and send it... All else is good in your car

quick04Z06 03-12-2019 09:39 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Bill Dearborn 03-14-2019 06:08 PM

BEZ06 may be able to provide some guidance on Daytona tire pressures, etc. He lives there and has instructed and driven in a lot of Daytona HPDEs. He hasn't been active on the board lately so I don't know if he will respond to a PM.

Bill

Iconic 03-15-2019 12:05 PM

BEZ06 was my instructor at Daytona 5 years ago, he rode in my car and I rode in his. As Bill said, he hasn't posted much as of late. Anyways, in addition to Motul or Castrol brake fluid and track pads I think tire PSI is important erring on the high side. I will not recommend a specific pressure but will say that the guy with underinflated tire are asking for a blowout. It happened to a friend in his Vette and some other crackerbox ricer in front of me in T3. As said the rights receive more abuse than the lefts. You will have an absolute blast.