CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4250988-replacing-polarizing-film-on-dash-cluster.html)

WW7 03-12-2019 10:28 AM

Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW

PaZaicC4 03-12-2019 10:56 AM

I did mine last summer and it was fairly easy. Follow his video and take your time.

t5258 03-12-2019 11:14 AM

I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...

WW7 03-12-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by t5258 (Post 1599031637)
I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...

The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW

t5258 03-12-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1599031689)
The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW

Gotcha...so simply overlaying new film over the old isn't an option?

Ray Quayle 03-13-2019 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1599031337)
The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW

Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.

WW7 03-13-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle (Post 1599036722)
Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.

Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W

vader86 03-13-2019 05:27 PM

I didn't think it was hard to do, I was nervous that I'd botch something but it all went together well after using Batee's video.

Keith Huffstutler 03-13-2019 05:48 PM

I found it pretty easy to do, as well. Toughest part was getting the steering column bolted back in, as I detached it to remove the dash and it is quite heavy. Just take your time, use gloves and make sure the screen is clean before you lay down the film. Also, make sure you are square with the display, as if you are too far "twisted", it will degrade the LCD interference effect.

gpierce 03-13-2019 10:20 PM

This should be of assistance:)

Ray Quayle 03-14-2019 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by WW7 (Post 1599039186)
Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W

Wayne, It’s funny how things like that happen. I’m still on the right side of the dirt, so I guess that’s something to be thankfull for. If things go tango uniform with the cluster, my offer stands. These clusters are like new and just gathering dust.

Keith Jemison 02-11-2021 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle (Post 1599041607)
Wayne, It’s funny how things like that happen. I’m still on the right side of the dirt, so I guess that’s something to be thankfull for. If things go tango uniform with the cluster, my offer stands. These clusters are like new and just gathering dust.

Hello Good Sir, I have an 89 Coupe and i am in need of a working dash cluster. Are you selling any and if so how much for me to buy one from you . Thank you

corvette95 02-11-2021 12:07 PM

My problem is two fold, I tried to do it, twice, I do not have a super clean room and no matter how hard I tried to clean and ventilate, I kept getting at least one grain of dust under the cover ( I am a perfectionist to my Corvettes) , I also don't have steady hands. I ended up sending to Batee which I should have done in the first place. Also let him calibrate your tach, they get off by a lot over the years! JMHO

vyper202 02-11-2021 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PaZaicC4 (Post 1599031519)
I did mine last summer and it was fairly easy. Follow his video and take your time.

This! 100% agree... took me about an hour after I had the cluster out...

jrobin1 02-12-2021 10:15 AM

I just installed my repaired cluster yesterday. My biggest problem was soldering in the new connector(not necessary, but recommended by Batee if you remove the cluster for film replacement). I had to remove and re-solder some joints. However, the new screen looks great!! Ditto on getting the film square with the glass. Also, be careful that you mark and get the odometer line in the correct alignment.
I would add that the videos are very detailed and easy to follow. Also, Bryan responded promptly to several questions that I emailed to him during the process. Customer support is great.