CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Reprograming 2018 C7 computer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4251094-reprograming-2018-c7-computer.html)

kazoo794 03-12-2019 03:13 PM

Reprograming 2018 C7 computer

Purchased a AFE Cold Air Intake for my Z06 A8 and took it to the dealer to get an estimate on how much it would cost to get it installed. Prior to the service rep giving me the quote he said, let me give this after market shop a call to see how much it would be to have them CPU reprogrammed. When he spoke directly to the programmer and they told him that there a lock on the system and there wasn't anything on the market to reprogram the 2018 CPU yet, if you tried your unit would start throwing codes and eventually not work. This is a very reputable shop and has done many Vettes, has anyone heard of this?

Dcasole 03-12-2019 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kazoo794 (Post 1599033040)
Purchased a AFE Cold Air Intake for my Z06 A8 and took it to the dealer to get an estimate on how much it would cost to get it installed. Prior to the service rep giving me the quote he said, let me give this after market shop a call to see how much it would be to have them CPU reprogrammed. When he spoke directly to the programmer and they told him that there a lock on the system and there wasn't anything on the market to reprogram the 2018 CPU yet, if you tried your unit would start throwing codes and eventually not work. This is a very reputable shop and has done many Vettes, has anyone heard of this?

Up to 2016 nothing has to be done to program an ECM starting in 2017 to 2018 they ECM is locked and requires 2 credits to unlock but it can be programmed .... What makes you think that you need a tune with an AFE , do you have a CEL

LT and ST fuel trims should be able to compensate , if you really want a tune then you can use a handheld and do a mail order tune for the AFE , The Diablo I3 actually comes with and AFE CAI tune built into it or call Doug at ECS

Unless you use the Diablo , any tune is going to void your warranty ....

Dave

kazoo794 03-12-2019 11:34 PM

I have a life time warranty on my engine, my service manager and I was talking about what would void the warranty and discussing the long tube headers, x pipe and exhaust. He told me that none of that would void my warranty and as long as I don't go into the engine. Although I was only talking about getting the cold air intake installed only I guess he thought I wanted the whole deal installed. That is probably why he talked against it and said it couldn't be done. Being it was late on the east coast, I called West Coast Corvettes and talked with them. They told me that I didn't need a tune with an AFE Cold Air Intake. I will also call ECS tomorrow for a second opinion, they have tuned my vettes before.

Dcasole 03-13-2019 06:49 AM

I can assure you that unless you are using the GM CAI and GM Tune that goes with it , that any other tune will void your warranty. Not sure what your service manager is saying ...

What kind of warranty is lifetime .......

Dave

6Speeder 03-13-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1599033123)
Up to 2016 nothing has to be done to program an ECM starting in 2017 to 2018 they ECM is locked and requires 2 credits to unlock but it can be programmed .... What makes you think that you need a tune with an AFE , do you have a CEL

LT and ST fuel trims should be able to compensate , if you really want a tune then you can use a handheld and do a mail order tune for the AFE , The Diablo I3 actually comes with and AFE CAI tune built into it or call Doug at ECS

Unless you use the Diablo , any tune is going to void your warranty ....

Dave

LT and ST fuel trims WILL compensate during closed loop operation. They WILL NOT compensate during open loop (WOT).

Dcasole 03-13-2019 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 6Speeder (Post 1599036642)
LT and ST fuel trims WILL compensate during closed loop operation. They WILL NOT compensate during open loop (WOT).

You are correct but WOT on a factory tune is very rich anyway and will not cause an issue when installing just a CAI ....

Dave

6Speeder 03-13-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1599036788)
You are correct but WOT on a factory tune is very rich anyway and will not cause an issue when installing just a CAI ....

Dave

It is on an LT4 when it goes into COT, not before that. I can't say about the LT1 tune. Still, making a blanket statement that the LT and ST will compensate may make some folks think they will make up all problems.

6Speeder 03-13-2019 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As you can see, my factory ALL STOCK tune commanded a 12.4 AFR until COT kicks in at about 5,000 rpm, the blue line. But with a CAI it ran a bit leaner and didn't go into COT until higher in rpm, the red line.

kazoo794 03-13-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kazoo794 (Post 1599035747)
I have a life time warranty on my engine, my service manager and I was talking about what would void the warranty and discussing the long tube headers, x pipe and exhaust. He told me that none of that would void my warranty and as long as I don't go into the engine. Although I was only talking about getting the cold air intake installed only I guess he thought I wanted the whole deal installed. That is probably why he talked against it and said it couldn't be done. Being it was late on the east coast, I called West Coast Corvettes and talked with them. They told me that I didn't need a tune with an AFE Cold Air Intake. I will also call ECS tomorrow for a second opinion, they have tuned my vettes before.

When I purchased the car, the engine was warranted as long as no mods were made to the engine internals

WestCoastCorvette 03-13-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kazoo794 (Post 1599037533)
When I purchased the car, the engine was warranted as long as no mods were made to the engine internals

With the warranty in place if you do any tuning to the computer they will void the warranty on the engine and power train. We have seen that with our customers who have had this issue. On the AFE intake there is no tune required and they are not know to throw any codes. If you do add the long tubes you will have to have the tune and they will void the warranty. They can see a footprint if you do a tune and then reload the stock one back in. Hope this helps.

Dcasole 03-13-2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 6Speeder (Post 1599037022)
It is on an LT4 when it goes into COT, not before that. I can't say about the LT1 tune. Still, making a blanket statement that the LT and ST will compensate may make some folks think they will make up all problems.

I think the blanket statement is accurate but ....OK so I should have clarified , LT and ST fuel trims will make up for any lean condition at anything below WOT and at WOT while you will be a bit leaner you still will not be in a danger zone ........

Dave ...

kazoo794 03-13-2019 10:09 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I am just going to install the CAI

6Speeder 03-14-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1599039374)
I think the blanket statement is accurate but ....OK so I should have clarified , LT and ST fuel trims will make up for any lean condition at anything below WOT and at WOT while you will be a bit leaner you still will not be in a danger zone ........

Dave ...

While I agree with you that IN THIS CASE, with a properly designed CAI, the OP will MAYBE OK, but a blanket statement that the long term fuel trims based on the narrow band O2's will fix any improper fueling inputs is VERY scary and might cause a blown motor. Consider this: In closed loop the ECM will add up to 25% more fuel than programmed to keep the A/F in safe limits. BUT that means that if you just slap on a part changing the A/F you might be running as lean as 16.5 A/F when at WOT. BOOM! That's why I always check the results on a dyno with wideband O2. As you can see, the dyno results of just a CAI resulted in a leaner A/F but I ran that way for over 3 years because I felt it was still safe. The point is I checked it.

To the OP: Get your car on a dyno stock. Then when you change something, dyno again. That will ensure you are still safe (or not :() and will show that the part actually made more power.

I have taken my car from 580 SAE to 730 SAE with my mods. I checked it (on the same dyno, because they will all read differently) after every mod, now I run a wideband continuously for safety.

Maxpowers 03-14-2019 10:47 AM

I have a life time warranty on my engine,

This is a thing?

David Gordon 03-14-2019 12:48 PM

I have a 2018 GS, I bought a tuner from Diablo, This car cant be tuned be the regular guy. Trying to return the device

John Harry 03-14-2019 04:58 PM

I have a life time warranty on my engine, my service manager and I was talking about what would void the warranty and discussing the long tube headers, x pipe and exhaust. He told me that none of that would void my warranty and as long as I don't go into the engine.

The only thing that matters is what the warranty says in writing.

Dcasole 03-14-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by John Harry (Post 1599045633)
The only thing that matters is what the warranty says in writing.

Right and a aftermarket tune violates any engine warranty ... even if the dealer is a progressive thinking dealer its GM who has to approve the warranty . When my motor dropped a valve the first thing that was checked was my VCN file .......

Dave

kazoo794 03-15-2019 08:13 AM

No problem I decided I am not going to do any type of retuning, just going to add my CAI and cruise. Maybe get on it a time or two!! :D

vetten76 03-19-2019 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1599046020)
Right and a aftermarket tune violates any engine warranty ... even if the dealer is a progressive thinking dealer its GM who has to approve the warranty . When my motor dropped a valve the first thing that was checked was my VCN file .......

Dave

You dropped a valve on your C7? I thought that was a c6, 427 thing. Bummer.

Dcasole 03-20-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by vetten76 (Post 1599075096)
You dropped a valve on your C7? I thought that was a c6, 427 thing. Bummer.

No not just a c6 thing , Google C7 LT1 blown motor , you will find many cases of C7 blown motors , lifters and broken valve springs seem to comprise the most cases . Motor blew at 34,000 and within 10 days I had my car back with a new motor in it .

Dave