CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] How much does an accident on a zr1 history hurt value? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4251155-how-much-does-an-accident-on-a-zr1-history-hurt-value.html)

J.Bone 03-12-2019 06:12 PM

How much does an accident on a zr1 history hurt value?

I've been in the market for a ZR1...and it's proving to be a difficult task to line up low miles, price, color, ect for what I want. I've seen a couple FS that have minor accident involving the rear of the car. In two of the history reports, the accident report also notes the drivability of the car after the accident was not effected. Looking for opinions on how much this effects the value of the car. Thanks!

n3v3rtrstamor0n 03-12-2019 06:51 PM

It hurts resale value, How much I don't know but it does hurt resale value. Now If your buying it to keep then who cares as long as your happy with it.

captain vette 03-12-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by n3v3rtrstamor0n (Post 1599034237)
It hurts resale value, How much I don't know but it does hurt resale value. Now If your buying it to keep then who cares as long as your happy with it.

exactly what I was to answered, if you buy it to keep it nobody cares, although go get a PPI at a Chevy dealership.

JMCZ06 03-12-2019 08:23 PM

I had a Toyota Supra I had for sale a few years ago. It had a minor accident that showed up on Carfax. So many people were interested then lost interest when they found out about the accident. I ended taking a big hit selling it and told myself I would never buy another car with an accident. Lesson learned. Especially the higher end cars it effects a great deal.

ZR1 136 03-13-2019 12:39 AM

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-zr1-registry/ if the ZR1 was in an accident, see if the owner has pictures. Maybe it was just body parts that needed to be replaced. search the registry for ZR1 for possible cars for sale. Good luck and update when you get your ZR1. I have 2009 #136

Bigjsn250 03-13-2019 10:00 AM

This is a rough estimate, but what I have seen over the years, for a 50-60k car it normally takes 7-8k away. This will vary widely, especially if you have really good pictures and proof it was very minor

cv67 03-13-2019 01:01 PM

BUy it right and dont think it will matter. One day youll find a buyer similar to yourself.....dont let a fender bender keep you from a great car

MTPZ06 03-13-2019 01:40 PM

~10-15% of resale value. If you can get it for a 15% (or more) discount off of resale value...then you've been compensated for that hit in value.

KurtsZ06 03-13-2019 03:11 PM

Before my recent z06 purchase, I spent six months looking at zr1s and z06s. Of those that had accident histories, that knocked at least 5 grand off of the pricing. The selling party may have wanted full resale, but the actual selling price got hammered. If no paperwork accompanies the accident repairs, there were few offers and the corvettes stayed on the market much longer. Accident / damage histories can be a deal breaker for sure.
a prepurchase inspection by an Indy is always a must, especially with a collision car.

chassed 03-13-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JMCZ06 (Post 1599034758)
I had a Toyota Supra I had for sale a few years ago. It had a minor accident that showed up on Carfax. So many people were interested then lost interest when they found out about the accident. I ended taking a big hit selling it and told myself I would never buy another car with an accident. Lesson learned. Especially the higher end cars it effects a great deal.

AMEN...Listen to this guy^^^

My last Zr1 was in a rear end accident (clean title) . Car fax stated it was involved in a rear end accident and was towed from scene...I did not realize this until after I bought the car..(yes I know I fucked up)
But what I quoted above...I also will never buy another car with an accident report. I tried to sell the ZR1 and interest was unbelievable...until they saw the car fax...I took a mike Tyson hit when I did finally sell it.
As much as I guaranteed that the car was straight and true...it wasn't enough...never again.

Dirk Miller 03-13-2019 11:29 PM

If a person is really interested in a ZR1 that has an accident report showing it has been hit from behind, I suggest coordinating with the owner by lifting the back bumper off and looking closely yourself. This will only take 30 or so minutes. If the aluminum frame doesn't show an impact, that tells you a lot. Anyone can do this in the driveway.

Jimnc 03-14-2019 03:23 PM

The key is documentation. If you get hit minor take good photos and keep the repair documentation. If buying a car with an accident history make an offer with that takes the resale into account. I would not shy away from a car with a minor accident history just don't overpay.

FYI, not all accidents show up on Car Fax so you can easily buy a car that has had body damage and you would not know it.

JMCZ06 03-15-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by chassed (Post 1599039166)
AMEN...Listen to this guy^^^

My last Zr1 was in a rear end accident (clean title) . Car fax stated it was involved in a rear end accident and was towed from scene...I did not realize this until after I bought the car..(yes I know I fucked up)
But what I quoted above...I also will never buy another car with an accident report. I tried to sell the ZR1 and interest was unbelievable...until they saw the car fax...I took a mike Tyson hit when I did finally sell it.
As much as I guaranteed that the car was straight and true...it wasn't enough...never again.

Many good viewpoints in this thread. Chassed and I went through the process of selling a car with an accident history and saw first hand the difficulties involved. It takes the right buyer that doesn’t mind the accident which is a journey on its own. They always want it for cheap as well.