CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   ZR1 Corvette Museum delivery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4251374-zr1-corvette-museum-delivery.html)

Vett15 03-13-2019 12:27 PM

ZR1 Corvette Museum delivery

I'm taking delivery of a new ZR1 at the museum in a few weeks and driving back to Texas. Does anyone know of anyone in the area of Bowling Green Kentucky that can install 3m or Expel bra or is there any kind of film I can put on temporarily to prevent rock chips until I get back to Texas

aaslanmd 03-14-2019 02:38 AM

Hi Vett15,
I recently took Museum delivery.
I'm not aware of any detailers in Bowling Green area: Shane Webb (he does Museum deliveries) might be able to recommend someone to you.
Car is "detailed" by museum PDI staff: David Smith did a nice job! You'll get to small bottles/microfiber cloth to keep it clean on way home.
I chose to wait until car was delivered (enclosed transport) to do the above; if I discover any problems, can take it back to local installer/detailer.
Consider bringing temporary PPF made by EXPEL for track days: paint + CF are very nicely finished!
Congrats + safe drive home!

Broker23 03-14-2019 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vett15 (Post 1599037931)
I'm taking delivery of a new ZR1 at the museum in a few weeks and driving back to Texas. Does anyone know of anyone in the area of Bowling Green Kentucky that can install 3m or Expel bra or is there any kind of film I can put on temporarily to prevent rock chips until I get back to Texas

I have used blue painter's tape it will not hurt the finish but my road trip was only 6 hours

Rinaldo Catria 03-14-2019 10:42 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3c660c83c.jpeg
3M wide blue masking tape. Driven 700 miles home with 1st oil change in route.. taken off after on for 2 days. Came right off but it is a bit harder to remove than apply. A half dozenplaces I needed a little lighter fluid. Then apply spray wax immediatedly after. No harm whatsoever to paint. Use care in overlapping tape so the wind doesnt get under the leading edge.

Thomasmoto 03-14-2019 10:52 AM

My drive home was only 300 miles. Luckily I didn't have any issues. It was interstate driving most of the way.

Rinaldo Catria 03-14-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto (Post 1599043110)
My drive home was only 300 miles. Luckily I didn't have any issues. It was interstate driving most of the way.

. Mine was from Pataskala Oh to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I-65 from Indy to Chi town is a mine field with not just pot holes and expansion gaps, but debris like crazy as well. The traffic was bumper to bumper. It was a horrible drive. THEN GRIDLOCK IN CHICAGO.. Never again!!!!!!!! Glad I had protection on her. Not accustomed to that crap on the lightly traveled roads shes on in northern Wis and the UP..

Scarpia 03-15-2019 11:09 AM

Use the track tape from XPel; that is what I will be using.

Flyjets 03-18-2019 10:35 AM

Shane's recommendation...

I just got an email reply from him this morning asking about ceramic & ppf and he suggested 2 shops in Nashville, not especially convenient for me as I am in Clarksville but oh well.

Originally Posted by aaslanmd (Post 1599041820)
Hi Vett15,
I recently took Museum delivery.
I'm not aware of any detailers in Bowling Green area: Shane Webb (he does Museum deliveries) might be able to recommend someone to you.
Car is "detailed" by museum PDI staff: David Smith did a nice job! You'll get to small bottles/microfiber cloth to keep it clean on way home.
I chose to wait until car was delivered (enclosed transport) to do the above; if I discover any problems, can take it back to local installer/detailer.
Consider bringing temporary PPF made by EXPEL for track days: paint + CF are very nicely finished!
Congrats + safe drive home!

Broker23 03-18-2019 10:44 AM

Ceramic coating is out of the question unless you plan to stay a few nights as it will need proper time to dry and its about 24 to 48 hour's to cure 100% I wouldn't risk anything less then 24 hours personally. Also Claksville is a few hours away from Nashville .

Flyjets 03-18-2019 10:49 AM

Well I can get to the NCM or most parts of Nashville in little more than an hour from Clarksville but driving to Nashville combined w/the leaving the car a couple days is what I was getting at about it not being that convenient.
There is a Corvette Club meeting at the dealer in Clarksville the same night I return from picking up my ZR1 so I thought I'd swing by and see if I could get a local recommendation for ceramic.

vetteheadracer 03-18-2019 03:49 PM

Checked the https://www.xpel.com/ website for local dealers and there isn't one in BG. Nearest installer is probably the one in Nashville, TN called Velocity Motorcars.

C5Longhorn 03-18-2019 06:52 PM

Buy some temporary and put it on yourself or use the painters tape. The goal is to get it home with the fewest chips possible.

ZR-1DUDE 03-27-2019 08:48 AM

Where do you plan on doing your 500 mile oil change in the way back?

D.

dmaxx3500 03-27-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria (Post 1599043224)
. Mine was from Pataskala Oh to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I-65 from Indy to Chi town is a mine field with not just pot holes and expansion gaps, but debris like crazy as well. The traffic was bumper to bumper. It was a horrible drive. THEN GRIDLOCK IN CHICAGO.. Never again!!!!!!!! Glad I had protection on her. Not accustomed to that crap on the lightly traveled roads shes on in northern Wis and the UP..

why didn't you just go thru mich and the mackinaw bridge

Flyjets 03-27-2019 11:14 PM

Most likely Clarksville...

At my local GM dealer James Corlew, its maybe 60 some miles from the NCM.
So I will have no time constraints re my 1st oil change.

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE (Post 1599117378)
Where do you plan on doing your 500 mile oil change in the way back?

D.