CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   ZR1 wing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4251533-zr1-wing.html)

jlehtonen 03-13-2019 08:19 PM

ZR1 wing

i just bought a 2018 zo6 carbon 65 edition with the zo7 package
I'm going to mostly track the car.can you install the zr1 wing on the zo6 and is it worth it
thanks

SingleTrackMinded 03-13-2019 11:41 PM

Welcome, car sounds good. Post some pics!

Vetteman Jack 03-14-2019 01:38 AM

Moved to C7 Z06 Discussion.

Mikec7z 03-14-2019 02:08 AM

yes you can add the zr1 wing. a metal bracket is hidden behind the rear fascia of the car. This bracket first has to be installed. From there, 2 small holes have to be cut in the top of your rear fascia, for the bracket to exit up through, and for the wing to mount to.

There are aftermarket companies who sell nearly identical wings for MUCH less money than GM sells them for.

But just understand either way you are talking over 3 grand if im not mistaken. GM OEM is more than 6 or 7 grand I think.

TXshaggy 03-14-2019 04:46 AM

You can also plan on adding a shit ton of front aero to balance the wing and stabile the car

jlehtonen 03-14-2019 07:52 AM

Thanks
The car came with the front carbon splitter with the wings on the side
it looks like the one on the zr1

TXshaggy 03-14-2019 09:20 AM

^^^No not really. The ZR wing will create more downforce than the Z07 stage 3. It will need to be balanced up front. While your Z07 may look similar the ZR has additional front aero, there is a significant difference.

PNC7ZO6 03-14-2019 10:08 AM

I found this on the Weapon-X site earlier today:

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...14359531618353

fleming23 03-14-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599042550)
. While your Z07 may look similar the ZR has additional front aero, there is a significant difference.

That is not entirely accurate, what empirical evidence do you have to support this? Yes, the ZR1 will make more rear down force at top speed but the total downforce generated by either the stage 3 or ZR1 is actually quite similar. The biggest add the ZR1 provides is the reduction in drag. The front ZR1 splitter was designed to provide additional front down force to balance the rear wing, and I'm not stating the stage 3 Z06 front splitter is balanced with the ZR1 wing, but I would not claim the difference to be "significant" as that is not entirely accurate either. Something like the APR splitter, which is quantitatively larger, or an additional undertray splitter like the one GSpeed provides could (I have no data to support and am not making a claim one way or the other) provide ample front downforce. Even with the rear wing, at lower speeds, and at the lower AOA adjustment, it might be fine.

The ZR1 aero is not Viper ACR-E territory. The addition of the rear wing and front spoiler was a marginal improvement over what was already on the car.

TXshaggy 03-14-2019 12:43 PM

^^^Lots of discussion on this...I’ll leave it up to your google skills to satisfy your curiosity. Perhaps you can post on the C7 ZR forum for additional.

The ZR generates 1000lbs of downforce at speed, this is about twice Z07. One advancement is “Corvette first, ZR1 borrows front underwing technology from the race car world to turn its closeout panel into a downforce control surface.” There are other control mechanisms.

Bottomline, you can’t double the downforce on the back without front consideration.

Detroit_Bill 03-14-2019 12:50 PM

Is it worth it?

I am going with no. The car as design is nicely balanced. Is has appropriate downforce/drag for its power.

I believe there are better places to spend money.

jlehtonen 03-14-2019 01:13 PM

awesome
i appreciate every ones response
thanks for the helpful information

ill post pics of car soon
thanks

C5-VERT 03-14-2019 02:54 PM

At the very least add some front dive planes (carbon fiber). Real carbon ones go for $400 to $600. ZL1 1LE has them, Viper ACR, they work but as others said it's about car balance so get to know your car well on the track, FIRST. Then adjust. What I am doing anyway instead of jumping before I look.

Mikec7z 03-14-2019 07:12 PM

we need a thread that gathers all the potential c7 dive plane options, i need this answer myself...

Edit... its created now...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-thread.html

I too strongly agree that the zr1 is light in the nose from an aero standpoint vs the large wing in the back. It then dawned on me, that since the extra coolers are in the front of the zr1 and the extra weight of the lt5 heavy heavy blower, i realized, the zr1 without a wing was front heavy... so the wing kind of cancels that out at 80mph, but as the car gets into higher and higher speeds, it becomes light on the nose i believe, relative to the back of the car.

Poorsha would be the one to ask about this i suppose. Anyway... the point of the story was a z06 or grand sport with the big wing on on the back would be more light in the nose than a zr1, so dive planes would be needed to keep the car well balanced. A regular front splitter alone is not going to keep up with that park bench on the back of the car

Competition.Carbon 03-14-2019 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599043982)
^^^Lots of discussion on this...I’ll leave it up to your google skills to satisfy your curiosity. Perhaps you can post on the C7 ZR forum for additional.

The ZR generates 1000lbs of downforce at speed, this is about twice Z07. One advancement is “Corvette first, ZR1 borrows front underwing technology from the race car world to turn its closeout panel into a downforce control surface.” There are other control mechanisms.

Bottomline, you can’t double the downforce on the back without front consideration.

at what speed for 1000 lbs of down force?

I know most wings can’t generate even 800 lbs at 150 mph, and it’s not even close. ZR1 isn’t al that big or aggressive. Dual elements are needed for that kind of crazy down force you are talking about.

It is is very misleading to boast a number vs Z07 aero of Z06.

Benefits of wings are not solely due to max down force. But it is often 10 to 1 ratio of down force and drag (for a proper wing) vs 4 to one of the barn door or we call it wickerbill.

Also, downforce can be finely adjusted with a proper wing. Angle-of-attacks carries the downforce greatly. So driver can adjust to their liking.

TXshaggy 03-14-2019 10:02 PM

^^^^Use your google fu on chevy press release.

Competition.Carbon 03-14-2019 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599047249)
^^^^Use your google fu on chevy press release.

I did. Plenty of times. There is no where it stated at what speed, that I can find. Maybe you have better luck than I do.

Before 3D scanned to generate any datas... I can almost for certain that 950 lbs or 1000 lbs of down force in some publications is at top speed.

That wing is very mild by fixed aero standards.

TXshaggy 03-14-2019 10:19 PM

Yes likely at speed...believe that goes without saying.

Competition.Carbon 03-14-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599047363)
Yes likely at speed...believe that goes without saying.

top speed. Which should be around 200 then? The low wing is 212. That’s not a ton of down force really for the entire car’s worth of aero.

The mild chasis mount wing I offer for C7 is at 400 lbs alone at 150mph, calculated from 3D scans and software simulations.

oldfoggy 07-05-2020 02:08 PM

Just to add to the insanity of screwing around with the GM engineering force . . . I have a ZR1 with the ZTK package. . . since I am height challenged, I would like to switch the spoiler to the non-ZTK version (low) so that I have a better view at the losers in the rear view mirror . . . any thought about the 'balance' of the car with the lower wing would be appreciated. I love the handling and have driven at the Las Vegas track . . . would the change make an appreciable difference?

Thanks, Cliff