CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Replaced Power Steering Pump on an '87. Question about a symptom on test drive. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4251569-replaced-power-steering-pump-on-an-87-question-about-a-symptom-on-test-drive.html)

hilflos 03-13-2019 10:00 PM

Replaced Power Steering Pump on an '87. Question about a symptom on test drive.

Hey all, as the subject indicates, just got done replacing my power steering pump, and the attached hoses, since I was in there anyhow. This was in response to the pump leaking fluid around the shaft area, which I noticed during the oil change just prior to putting it up for the Winter.

Anyway, today was the first nice day since, and I took the opportunity to get the work done. Bled the system after I was finished, the normal lock to lock several times with the reservoir cap off, and I waited until the bubbling and foaming was done, before a quick drive around the block. Got back, checked for leaks, all good. So, time for an actual start of Spring test drive.

During the drive, the car behaved well, steering was a bit lighter than it ever had been before, and I was well pleased. Twice though, during a twentyish minute drive, both times during the first ten or so minutes, and both times as I was slowing to a stop, it's like the power steering just stopped existing for ten or so seconds. It came back as soon as I started moving again, and I'm guessing it was just a lingering air bubble freeing up.

Did some deliberate turning afterward and tried to replicate it in a parking lot, but didn't show back up. Plan on another test drive tomorrow.

Got home, no leaks, fluid level was pretty much right where it had been before I left. No groans from the rack or the pump after the initial bleed.

Really, just confirming my guess about the cause, and triple checking with you all in case I need to be a bit more concerned or cautious.

Appreciate any thoughts you all might have. Thanks.

81c3 03-13-2019 10:28 PM

If you didnt have the symptom before and only changed the pump and hoses because of leaks, Id say your assessment is correct. Probably some air in the system that made its way to the rack and worked itself out. Keep a "feel" for it again... Id guess your probably ok if it doesnt happen again.

hilflos 03-14-2019 08:51 AM

Nope, never experienced the symptom before. Definitely was some air in the rack, judging from the amount of spillage when I detached the hardline from that side.

Appreciate the help. Will keep you all posted after the next couple drives,

hilflos 03-15-2019 03:31 PM

Just for anyone experiencing a similar issue in the future, I've put another sixtyish miles on it over the last day or two, and no repetition of the problem. So, most likely was, indeed, some lingering air in the rack.

RockyL32 03-15-2019 04:43 PM

I changed out the rack on my 85 a couple months back and had the same issue on the first test drive, 500 miles since and has not done it again